Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:57 AM

646 posts, read 1,613,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

Would any proof of God's existence be adequate for you? Some people have already made up their minds. Even the most iron-clad case for the existence of God will always demand more from people who don't believe.

An honest look at our world leads a person to conclude that there must have been intelligence behind the design of our world. To acknowledge that such intelligence exists is the first step toward acknowledging the existence of God.
Yes, adequate proof of God's existence could be made. It hasn't been, but it could be.

An honest look at the world around you leads to no such conclusion that there is intelligence or a design. An honest look simply reveals the fact that there is complexity, and there are completely naturalistic reasons that explain this complexity. No god is necessary.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 PM

31 posts, read 116,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
To all the people who have written threads on here opposing the believes of Christians, Thanks!!! For it (the threads that have questioned or put down Christians) has made me study my Bible more, reread chapters, look things up in the Strong Accordance and overall become a stronger Christian because Ive left my level of complancincy and started to "study to show myself approved" and spent more time in prayer over what to say. I can only speak for myself but Thanks again!
You should pick up an English text book now and again.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:15 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,765,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlives View Post
You should pick up an English text book now and again.
Yea hard to believe i was an English major huh?

Old 05-24-2007, 12:17 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,220,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
If you were born in a atheist family and had no chance to go to church or read bible,you won't have access to Jesus,right?

Interesting,if God loves everyone,why doesn't Jesus contact me through Holy Spirit?or some other way?Maybe Jesus chooses to abandon non-believers? The theory contradicts itself.
hey Duck every do the right thing and get that warm fuzzy feeling like butterflies in your tummy????

That's my dear is the Holy Spirit telling you that you're going in the right direction

Old 05-24-2007, 12:52 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,752,506 times
I can't believe I read through this entire thread. Not sure why I did, except that it was interesting. What I noted was the contempt, the anger, the disdain, even hate in the words of those who do not believe in God. There is none of that in the writings of those who do.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:05 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,243,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
Yes, adequate proof of God's existence could be made. It hasn't been, but it could be.

An honest look at the world around you leads to no such conclusion that there is intelligence or a design. An honest look simply reveals the fact that there is complexity, and there are completely naturalistic reasons that explain this complexity. No god is necessary.
If no god is necessary for you, that is your choice. I have a God, and He is the real thing to me, takes care of me, and will give me an eternal home in a lovely place called Heaven. I am thankful and blessed to have been saved by His only begotten Son.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:35 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,553,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
An honest look at our world leads a person to conclude that there must have been intelligence behind the design of our world.
Christians claim that the entire universe was designed by God. Therefore, you can't show me anything that wasn't designed. That being the case, the word "designed" becomes meaningless.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,633,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Christians claim that the entire universe was designed by God. Therefore, you can't show me anything that wasn't designed. That being the case, the word "designed" becomes meaningless.
Sorry, maybe after a few drinks that might make sense, but I am totally missing the point you are trying to make today.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,553,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Sorry, maybe after a few drinks that might make sense, but I am totally missing the point you are trying to make today.
It's quite elementary.

Design can be apparent only if there are things which are not designed that I can use for comparison. If the whole universe is designed, then there exists nothing to compare. In other words, before the word "designed" can have meaning, you must show me something that is not designed. Claiming the whole universe to be designed precludes one from doing so.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:52 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,633,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I can't believe I read through this entire thread. Not sure why I did, except that it was interesting. What I noted was the contempt, the anger, the disdain, even hate in the words of those who do not believe in God. There is none of that in the writings of those who do.

Hmmmm. Interesting.
Before you jump to too many conclusions, you can find a good many posts by self-professed christians that are also full of contempt, anger and even ridicule. I am sure that some of them actually are christians, although they are not walking with the Lord in the manner consistant with a christian life. This is what has contributed a lot of the anger and hatefulness in the non-christian's posts.

I feel that much of the root of the anger is due to the void that most non-christians feel in their life and a loss of what to do about it. I have observed that even those I know personally that denied such a void have often expressed sentiments that are very similar in nature so it seems to be either unrecognized for what it is or they choose to deny and attempt to play word games with themselves.

You are correct in that many of the posters in this forum on the christian side of the debate are more restrained in their verbal taunting, but unfortunately not all, nor are those who try to restrain themselves always successful in anticipating what will actually be offensive to their opposite in the debate.

Your observation regarding the intensity level of the hatefulness of the anti-God side being noticably higher is correct. And I have to agree that it is odd since many in the group claim to not believe due to scientific evidenciary shortcomings. If that were wholly the case, I would expect a much more dispassionate response and the visceral opinion to spew from those who accept their case strictly on faith. Faith would seem to be the much more emotionally charged argument. This does not translate well into real life though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality