Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,571,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Just what leads you to believe in things like the earth being created in six days a few thousand years ago, big fish puking up live men, raining eleven inches an hour for forty days and nights then all the water evaporating in a few weeks, seas parting for the good guys then closing up and drowning the bad, walls falling at the sound of a trumpet, men living through a 1200 degree furnace, virgin birth, healing leprosy by touching, raising from the dead, walking on water, turning water into fine wine, speaking in tongues, feeding multitudes with a few pounds of food then gathering more leftovers than what was started with, resurrection, ghosts, etc. Seems to me that what is required there is the absence of reason and logic...especially since those same folks who wrote all that believed the earth was flat and the universe revolved around it.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-11-2010 at 06:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 PM

13,774 posts, read 26,645,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Should we all blind ourselves to reason, logic and evidence and just accept the bible as true?
Many of the great Logicians were Christian. Antoine Arnauld, Kurt Godel, Gottfried Leibniz, and possibly Hegel.

Moving beyond the specific to the general, in terms of religion, it does not necessarily even follow that the choices are the Bible and nothing. Although I've mostly emphasized Christianity, as I'm Christian, I've conceded there might be some reason to support Baha'i or Islam based on the standards I've discussed. I think for a variety of reasons the claims of those two faiths are weaker, but it would take time to get into why and I do not understand Baha'i well enough to argue about it much.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 PM

1,553 posts, read 1,843,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Cut it out with the "Believers lack logic and reason" crap you guys always spew...and I won't be calling you out on it.
GldnRule, they will not cut it out with the "Believers lack logic and reason" crap; simply because many (if not all) of the atheists here work according to programs and most of them belong to some organizations and parties; so whatever logic and proof you produce for them, they will not accept but will keep up on their atheism incessantly.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 PM

33,635 posts, read 37,303,487 times
No worries here, life is great!

Old 05-11-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
In most Muslim countries being an atheist might be a risky proposition
What about right here at home? At about age 60 after I made up my mind that I would never believe the bible if I lived to 100 two thirds of my own family practically disowned me.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:57 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,735,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
He's apparently the son of an Earth Goddess.
As Christians have taught us, being a son does not necessarily imply that the god in question had a beginning. Jesus is the son, but is not a created being and is coeternal with the father. No reason other gods can't have the same qualities.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
As Christians have taught us, being a son does not necessarily imply that the god in question had a beginning. Jesus is the son, but is not a created being and is coeternal with the father. No reason other gods can't have the same qualities.
A story can be woven by the best of them:

The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors

Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 AM

8,002 posts, read 12,329,582 times
Good morning folks!

The rudeness, sarcasm, and personal attacks need to stop, cuz if June has to delete ONE MORE POST that entails any of the above, the thread goes.

With infractions all ways round.

Be nice!

~June

Old 05-11-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Good morning folks!

The rudeness, sarcasm, and personal attacks need to stop, cuz if June has to delete ONE MORE POST that entails any of the above, the thread goes.

With infractions all ways round.

Be nice!

~June
We were all taught not to even bring up religion or politics in polite conversation back when I was a youngster. I think it's quite refreshing to be able to do so.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:12 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,123,392 times
I can understand not doing personal attacks, but sarcasm. One of the great joys in life

Cheers,
Aeroman

Last edited by Aeroman; 05-11-2010 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having there motives questioned..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality