Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 AM

701 posts, read 801,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Tell that to the first nations people of Canada, who have been here for more than 15,000 years...The first homo sapiens (modern humans) appeared between 250,000 and 450,000 years ago...Throw whatever book you got that info from into the trash...It's worthless.

Sure, I'll get right on that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,871,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
just understand that when people suffer it is due to their own actions-karma,....
And what pray, was her crime?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1273499979
Attached Thumbnails
OK Atheists, I gotta tell ya something.-wanting_a_meal.jpg  

Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 AM

701 posts, read 801,200 times
Quote:
just understand that when people suffer it is due to their own actions-karma,Jesus even preached this concept-God wouldnt put harm on anyone that didnt deserve it and also shows mercy-in other words instead of getting 3 slaps in the hand ,which you deserve,you only get 2.

if God wants to harm you no-one can protect you and if God wants to protect you nothing can harm you.
As rafius pointed out that is not always the case. Jesus preached that in the end those that don't make it into the kingdom do so at their own choice. Heck Christ didn't suffer for anything He did, He suffered for all that we have done. Countless people throughout time have suffered, not for anything they did but because of evil done by others.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,962,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Perhaps the crime is ours. What were you and I doing while she starved?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,019,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
According to who? Can you process the concept of ALL loving? God loves in a way we cannot fathom or understand and therefore operates much of the time in a way we can't fully understand. Who are you to dictate to an all knowing God, what love is, or how it is shown? Would a loving parent allow his child to grow up undisciplined? No. but so many times you hear children rattle on about how the parent doesn't love them because they won't let the child eat a gallon of ice cream right before bedtime. Who are we to dictate to God what acting in an ALL loving way really is? You want to make snap judgements without half the information let alone all the information. It's like you judging a parent for being cruel not letting one child have ice cream while all the other kids in his class get ice cream, yet you don't know that the kid has an allergy that will kill him if he has ice cream. I don't have a full understanding of why God does many of the things He has done, but I am also mature enough to understand that I don't have even .0000000000001% of the information He has on any given situation.
Yes, I can grasp the concept of all loving. Someone who loves you doesn't send you to be severely tortured for any reason. And they especially wouldn't do so just because they didn't believe in them. I'm not making a snap judgement. For one, hell isn't discipline. Would a loving parent put their child in the furnace and set them on fire. No, they wouldn't and they would be labeled as a sociopath. Your analogy is also flawed. It isn't cruel to not let a child have ice cream. Sending someone to burn is cruel. I don't see how any one could possibly find such a god to be all loving. A god that sends someone to burn isn't all loving, they're a megalomaniacal sociopath.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,251,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
in a previous lifetime she could have been one of the rich folks who watched thousands of children starve and didnt do anything about it-now this life is only temporary,so a life of hardship can be looked as punishment but after the time is done then it is done,that could have been you or me so why was that particular soul.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
As rafius pointed out that is not always the case. Jesus preached that in the end those that don't make it into the kingdom do so at their own choice. Heck Christ didn't suffer for anything He did, He suffered for all that we have done. Countless people throughout time have suffered, not for anything they did but because of evil done by others.
Jesus also said that "he who is first in this life will be last in the next and he who is last will be first",He also said-"what you reap so shall you sow",now i dont know abvout you but that sounds alot like karma and reincarnation to me.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Yes, I can grasp the concept of all loving. Someone who loves you doesn't send you to be severely tortured for any reason. And they especially wouldn't do so just because they didn't believe in them. I'm not making a snap judgement. For one, hell isn't discipline. Would a loving parent put their child in the furnace and set them on fire. No, they wouldn't and they would be labeled as a sociopath. Your analogy is also flawed. It isn't cruel to not let a child have ice cream. Sending someone to burn is cruel. I don't see how any one could possibly find such a god to be all loving. A god that sends someone to burn isn't all loving, they're a megalomaniacal sociopath.
Very true-thank God He is All Loving,or we all might be screwed

Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Then your god is an evil, evil, b****** that needs to thrown out of power by any means necessary.

By your own admission, every evil thing that happens to any person on the world is the will of God. Everything. From papercuts to genocide.
you see the thing is scarmig you still beleive that this is our only life that you have never existed before this life -this is completely an illusion,you do not know the karma of an individual,what about president bush or sadam hussein or hitler what shoul the universe do to them after all the suffering they caused do you think God is going to put them into a realy nice life after all they have done,no life will teach these miscreant's,not eternal hell that wouldnt solve anything but hey we were given free will and there is a little law that goes with that otherwise their would be no universal justice -its called karma,you only get back what you put out.

so if a man rapes a child and the judge gives him 20 years in prison do you say that the judge is evil,and guess what most people get away with these crimes,but they cant escape death and since they are eternal soul's then God will place them into a condition in their next life,

but hey if your a real good person like most people are then hey you have nothing to worry about unless you are carrying karma from a previous life-its the only way to accept the pain and struggles we go through,Why do bad things happen to good people?well maybe they werent always good and they are only startin to cop-on.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,935,240 times
Quote:

so if a man rapes a child and the judge gives him 20 years in prison do you say that the judge is evil,and guess what most people get away with these crimes,but they cant escape death and since they are eternal soul's then God will place them into a condition in their next life,
What if the judge knows the rapist, knew which child the rapist was going to rape, knew when he was going to rape the child, stood by and watched the rape happen and did nothing to stop it? Would *you* consider that judge to be evil? I would.

That *IS* evil and that *IS* what your god does (presupposing it even exists).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality