Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:08 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,178,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
God loves in a way we cannot fathom
You're right, there is no way I can see that all the pain and suffering species on this planet go through for MILLIONS of years just to survive could ever equal "love".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 05:21 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd......Voltaire
Succint and to the point.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:32 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,571,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
You're right, there is no way I can see that all the pain and suffering species on this planet go through for MILLIONS of years just to survive could ever equal "love".
Not to mention the threat of burning and suffering in eternal fire and brimstone for mistakes made by his own creatures. That rank and cruel punishment had to come from primitive mankind.

"The Son of Man shall send out His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who do iniquity, and shall cast them into a furnace of fire. There shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."
(Mat 13:41-42)

"And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am tormented in this flame."
(Luke 16:23-24)

Old 05-10-2010, 06:00 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,256,404 times
Quote:
According to who? Can you process the concept of ALL loving? God loves in a way we cannot fathom or understand and therefore operates much of the time in a way we can't fully understand. Who are you to dictate to an all knowing God, what love is, or how it is shown? Would a loving parent allow his child to grow up undisciplined? No. but so many times you hear children rattle on about how the parent doesn't love them because they won't let the child eat a gallon of ice cream right before bedtime. Who are we to dictate to God what acting in an ALL loving way really is? You want to make snap judgements without half the information let alone all the information. It's like you judging a parent for being cruel not letting one child have ice cream while all the other kids in his class get ice cream, yet you don't know that the kid has an allergy that will kill him if he has ice cream. I don't have a full understanding of why God does many of the things He has done, but I am also mature enough to understand that I don't have even .0000000000001% of the information He has on any given situation.
just understand that when people suffer it is due to their own actions-karma,Jesus even preached this concept-God wouldnt put harm on anyone that didnt deserve it and also shows mercy-in other words instead of getting 3 slaps in the hand ,which you deserve,you only get 2.

if God wants to harm you no-one can protect you and if God wants to protect you nothing can harm you.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
God wouldnt put harm on anyone that didnt deserve it
Just curious...the more than 900.000.000(1 of every 6) on the planet who are starving to death or suffering from complications of malnutrition...mostly children, what did they ever do to anybody?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:33 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,947,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post

if God wants to harm you no-one can protect you and if God wants to protect you nothing can harm you.

Then your god is an evil, evil, b****** that needs to thrown out of power by any means necessary.

By your own admission, every evil thing that happens to any person on the world is the will of God. Everything. From papercuts to genocide.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 AM

701 posts, read 803,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Like i said, you are basing that on humanities very limited knowledge. We can not see the end from the beginning. btw it has only been going on for roughly 6000 years not millions.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
it has only been going on for roughly 6000 years not millions
That fine sir is one of the most idiotic statements I have ever heard. The universe is about 14 billion years old and the earth about four. Mankind is a couple of million. Just what is your defining source of reference?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 AM

701 posts, read 803,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
That fine sir is one of the most idiotic statements I have ever heard. The universe is about 14 billion years old and the earth about four. Mankind is a couple of million. Just what is your defining source of reference?
Dude chill out, and note the big grin. You know exactly where that belief stems from, and I know you think it is idiotic, however I'm sure I could share the same sentiment about some of what you believe too. I'm sure one day we will find out which of us is correct.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:55 AM

33,636 posts, read 37,303,487 times
Quote:
Like i said, you are basing that on humanities very limited knowledge. We can not see the end from the beginning. btw it has only been going on for roughly 6000 years not millions.
Tell that to the first nations people of Canada, who have been here for more than 15,000 years...The first homo sapiens (modern humans) appeared between 250,000 and 450,000 years ago...Throw whatever book you got that info from into the trash...It's worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality