Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Well not literally. Lol

Cats are destructive. They pee on things. My wife was always cleaning up after them. Boy and girl kitties. Pissing everywhere. F'ing hated every minute. Part of the reason we had to remodel was because of the cats. No cats ever again. Looking back my wife agrees to no cats. She rescued these two cats and she had a special attachment to them. I love my wife and I put up with it. Hated it but I did it. Once was enough.
You have to correctly raise the cats so they will not do these things. Too many people do not know how to raise cats (and dogs, and rabbits, and kids, etc) properly, then are shocked/mad/disappointed/frustrated/etc when they do things like you stated above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 03:59 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You have to correctly raise the cats so they will not do these things. Too many people do not know how to raise cats (and dogs, and rabbits, and kids, etc) properly, then are shocked/mad/disappointed/frustrated/etc when they do things like you stated above.

All the dogs I had have or will have are trained. Exceptionally well. Sure we had some accidents as puppies but I've trained dogs for hunting, general obedience and police work. Not a one had any accident or been destructive in any way after training.
As for the cats they only started to pee on those three spots after a few years. The only thing we could ever figure out is they were fighting over marking territory. They were trained to use the cat box. Both spay and neutered. I understand all animals have accidents at times even well trained ones. Doesn't matter I don't want cats at all in my rentals. It's that simple. You agreed to the rules when you moved in. I did not add anything after as a big surprise. So I expect you not to add your own furry surprise. Can't do that? Feel free to give me your 30 and move on but don't sit there justifying it or circumventing the rules.

IF I rented I would either rent from someone who allowed pets, pay the required deposits take pictures of the property with landlord there to witness write up any existing damage. I would be responsible for ANY damage my pet does.
Now if the LL did not allow pets I would simply not rent from them.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:06 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Agreed. Especially about kids!

LOL at this thread, it just strikes me as funny I guess. My husband and I just prohibit dogs in our rentals. We have one tenant with a dog currently, since they're on a lease from the previous owner, so we're stuck with it for now. We have a couple tenants with cats, haven't had any serious problems so far. We have cats ourselves (they do all their "business" outside, so we never have those "messes" indoors). My husband had never had cats as a kid (had a dog though), and now that he sees how easy/cheap/low-maintenance/good-at-rodent-control/cute cats are, he'll never go back to dogs! He's sold!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
Agreed. Especially about kids!

LOL at this thread, it just strikes me as funny I guess. My husband and I just prohibit dogs in our rentals. We have one tenant with a dog currently, since they're on a lease from the previous owner, so we're stuck with it for now. We have a couple tenants with cats, haven't had any serious problems so far. We have cats ourselves (they do all their "business" outside, so we never have those "messes" indoors). My husband had never had cats as a kid (had a dog though), and now that he sees how easy/cheap/low-maintenance/good-at-rodent-control/cute cats are, he'll never go back to dogs! He's sold!
I'll resurrect my cats and send them over. He'll switch back to dogs

Old 10-28-2013, 04:19 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
I'll resurrect my cats and send them over. He'll switch back to dogs

Cat-Friend vs Dog-Friend - YouTube

Old 10-28-2013, 05:01 PM

13,928 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Most likely the Dogs your friend sees are Service Dogs!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
All the dogs I had have or will have are trained. Exceptionally well. Sure we had some accidents as puppies but I've trained dogs for hunting, general obedience and police work. Not a one had any accident or been destructive in any way after training.
As for the cats they only started to pee on those three spots after a few years. The only thing we could ever figure out is they were fighting over marking territory. They were trained to use the cat box. Both spay and neutered. I understand all animals have accidents at times even well trained ones. Doesn't matter I don't want cats at all in my rentals. It's that simple. You agreed to the rules when you moved in. I did not add anything after as a big surprise. So I expect you not to add your own furry surprise. Can't do that? Feel free to give me your 30 and move on but don't sit there justifying it or circumventing the rules.

IF I rented I would either rent from someone who allowed pets, pay the required deposits take pictures of the property with landlord there to witness write up any existing damage. I would be responsible for ANY damage my pet does.
Now if the LL did not allow pets I would simply not rent from them.
I was not disagreeing about allowing pets or not, just commenting on cats.

My opinion is; your property, make what ever rules you want.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:09 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,737 times
I have a cat.

She is a good kitty.

She does her business outside, no litter box and has never had an accident.

The only thing she claws is an old chair.

But if the ad said "no pets", I would not waste my time applying.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:18 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
there
Quote:
Originally Posted by rao4400 View Post
So I found an gorgeous 2 bedroom in a centrally located apartment in the same building a a good friend of mine than is under my budget. The only problem is, is that my potential roommate has a cat, and there is a no pet policy. We have a showing coming up, and we where going to see if an exception could be made. My friend who lives there said he's seen a dog in the building before, but he is not sure if the god was there legally or not. Is there a good way to convince a landlord to accept a pet? All together, our gross income is more than 6x the rent, and I was thinking we could offer a nice pet deposit, as well as offer to pay slightly more rent for the unit. Are there any other strategies we could use to sweeten the deal? Maybe get pet reference letters from previous landlords?

........"there is a no pet policy ....

What part of NO don't you understand ?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
Quote:
Was the no pets allowed policy written in Swahili? Or do you simply not understand what no pets means? I can't tell you how many renters try to convince me to let a cat in. I heard it all. My cat never sprays, scratches only pees and poops in her box. No thank you. My wife had two cats. I know exactly what cats do and cats are a absolute no. 10 years of dealing with cats got my wife and I in some heated discussions. I wanted to turn those cats into sausage. So no cats. As a potential tenant as soon as you bring up the possibility of a cat that immediately removes you from the list. Why? Because even if I say no verbally and in a lease you will do as you please and bring the cat in anyway because I'll never find out or once the cat is in what us he gonna do kick us out? Were paying the rent. Yes well you're paying the rent anyway or you're out but I'm more worried about the house once you leave and your security won't cover the damage.
You want a cat? Then go rent from a place that allows cats don't expect people to bend the rules because you and your roommate and your cat are special.

You nailed it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting