Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 02:02 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
"You suggesting that someone lies and commits fraud is beyond wrong" is an attack in my view because you are directly addressing Snow and you are claiming she is saying something she isn't.

Snow already said prior to your post that the people with the cat in this case may have this rule apply to them in some way. Personally I doubt it (otherwise why wouldn't they already know about it?) but I guess it could be true. She said she put the rule out there if it applies. So in my view she is not encouraging people to lie or commit fraud.

I agree with you that people lying to their doctor to get their pets in, thereby taking advantage of the law, is definitely wrong to do, and I am not trying to say that just because you say it's wrong then you are attacking someone.

I fear that if we continue this subject, the thread will be locked, so if you want to continue talking to me, it's probably best to do it through direct message.

By the way, you people (not addressing Kim here) who are writing these 'reps' to me and Snow need to chill.

No, it's not an attack...it's a fact and of course I'm directing it to her!! I was replying to her post.

What she's suggesting is wrong. She is/was telling the OP to have the roommate ask/convince/lie/beg/pay off, her doctor to say that she needs the cat as an 'emotional support' animal. That doesn't seem wrong to you?? I bet it seems very wrong to those to have fought to have their service animals and I bet the ADA would think it was wrong as well.

I have no need or desire to talk you thru direct message and if this thread is closed it will be because Snow asked for it to be closed. Snow has some thick skin and is always up for a good debate and if there were attacks going on, the mods would handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 02:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
One thing your friend can do is get the cat qualified as an emotional support animal. Don't know if emotional support animals are allowed in all states or not, you'll have to check that out. But, they are for sure in CA, and they can be any animal, not just a dog.

You friend would need a letter from his/her doctor/psychiatrist. Here are a couple of links about it:

Service Animal Registration - No Dispute ID Cards / Vests

The 411 On Emotional Support Animals - PawNation

The reason emotional support animals are allowed is under disabilities. A disabled person is allowed a reasonable accommodation so that they can rent at a particular location. In other words, if the disabled person needs an emotional support animal, and it's normally against the rules to have a pet, the person can request that the animal be allowed as a reasonable accommodation.

If your friend got his/her shrink to say the cat is needed as an emotional support animal, the LL would have to accept the cat, or could be accused of discrimination. The LL also could not charge any pet fees or pet deposits for the emotional support animal.

To keep on the LL's good side, if you can get the cat qualified as an emotional support animal, you can present the cat as such, but say that you are willing to pay deposits/pet rent, etc., even though you're not required to by law. That might soften the blow to the LL, but the LL would have to allow the cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

She is/was telling the OP to have the roommate ask/convince/lie/beg/pay off, her doctor to say that she needs the cat as an 'emotional support' animal.
LOL! You are right, Kim, I've grown some thick skin here and I do enjoy a good debate.

So, first I must disagree that I told the OP to convince/lie/beg/pay off the roommate's doctor. Nope, it's not there.

Second, this is exactly on topic. The OP wanted to know how you get a complex to take a cat when pets are not allowed. If the cat is an emotional support animal, and if the roommate has a disability requiring one, that is one way to get the cat into a complex that does not normally allow one.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I'm sorry, but this bull crap pure and simple. And you suggesting that someone lies and commits fraud is beyond wrong. This no better than sneaking an animal in; it's stuff like this that's makes it really hard for those responsible pet owners.

Just to be clear...is this what you considered my attack?
I didn't see Snow suggesting anything of the sort. She simply put the info out there. Can someone use a law meant for a certain purpose for a self serving reason? Sure. Look at what ADA has done.
Either way the law can be used to someone's advantage because they simply can? Absolutely. I doubt your relationship and the landlords will be a friendly one after that. If you're on a month to month good luck staying there.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:28 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
LOL! You are right, Kim, I've grown some thick skin here and I do enjoy a good debate.

So, first I must disagree that I told the OP to convince/lie/beg/pay off the roommate's doctor. Nope, it's not there.

Second, this is exactly on topic. The OP wanted to know how you get a complex to take a cat when pets are not allowed. If the cat is an emotional support animal, and if the roommate has a disability requiring one, that is one way to get the cat into a complex that does not normally allow one.

You did tell the OP: One thing your friend can do is get the cat qualified as an emotional support animal. And even though you did add your own disclaimer, you still suggested that this would be a feasible possibility and they could 'force' the landlord to take the cat. You may have not used those words, but the implication is there.

Again, if you're getting nasty rep comments, report them to the mods.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:29 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Could you share your source, please? This is not the case, at least in California, regarding emotional support animals. Here is the relevant law in CA:

http://www.disabilityrightsca.org/pubs/548301.pdf

You can have an anxiety disorder and this can be a disability. Doesn't mean the person with the anxiety disorder can't work or is retarded, or can't wash themselves, for goodness sake.

There are different rules for service animals and emotional support animals. The above publication explains the difference.
There are literally hundreds of related sites and different states have different laws under the federal guidelines for service animals, psychiatric service animals and emotional support animals. I simply quoted one generalized statement (the "for goodness' sake comment was unnecessary) in response to one poster's comment but knew that you would quickly round up some sources to further "educate" on a subject which totally sidetracked this thread. I realize the OP is in CA but CA rules don't apply throughout the US.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
There are literally hundreds of related sites and different states have different laws under the federal guidelines for service animals, psychiatric service animals and emotional support animals. I simply quoted one generalized statement (the "for goodness' sake comment was unnecessary) in response to one poster's comment but knew that you would quickly round up some sources to further "educate" on a subject which totally sidetracked this thread. I realize the OP is in CA but CA rules don't apply throughout the US.

So who did you quote? If you're going to post information that readers should consider law, as you basically stated, you could at least provide the source that proves you right. "For clarification."

Old 10-30-2013, 03:53 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
So who did you quote? If you're going to post information that readers should consider law, as you basically stated, you could at least provide the source that proves you right. "For clarification."
These are two of the several articles I found which use this quote verbatim:

Emotional Support Animals and Waiver of "No Pets" Rules by Landlords
Emotional Support | Recovery Animals

If you need further citations to prove that what has been said is verbatim from the federal guidelines then I suggest you contact the two organizations directly to verify the actual source.

PS. You said, "Doesn't mean the person with the anxiety disorder can't work or is retarded, or can't wash themselves, for goodness sake." There is no mention in there about "washing", unless I seriously need new spectacles.

Last edited by STT Resident; 10-30-2013 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Added PS

Old 10-31-2013, 06:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Most reasonable owners don't see one cat as an issue.

But, there are always some...

Old 10-31-2013, 11:26 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
I just moved to a new place, and my new landlord is very selective about who he rents to. He will only allow one small indoor pet, because he wants them taken care of, and not running loose. If someone moves in, and lets their pet run loose, they get evicted. He had someone that sneaked in a Doberman, got evicted and left the dog behind, which a definite violation of the lease.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:59 AM

51 posts, read 184,906 times
It sounds like you are looking to rent in a condo community as opposed to an apartment complex.

If so, pet policies are set by two parties---the HOA and the property owner.

If your friend saw a dog in the community, there might be a chance that the condo association has a pet friendly policy in place and you need to work on the owner/landlord (check the HOA docs for pet allowances and restrictions to double check if the community allows pets).

If it is down to the owner's decision, there are several things you can do that May sway his opinion to your favor:

1. You could agree to keep your pet in an outside space (like a enclosed deck).
2. You could agree to have the cat declawed and or spayed.
3. You could offer to pay a pet fee to insure against future damages.
4. You could offer to guarantee that you would repair or replace anything damaged by your cat at your expense.

Even with the best laid plans, you could hit a brick wall for other reasons---namely the owner/landlord has an allergy to your cat.

***MOD CUT***

Best of luck and I hope this helped in some way.

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-24-2013 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Solicitation not allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting