Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,714,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rao4400 View Post
So I found an gorgeous 2 bedroom in a centrally located apartment in the same building a a good friend of mine than is under my budget. The only problem is, is that my potential roommate has a cat, and there is a no pet policy. We have a showing coming up, and we where going to see if an exception could be made. My friend who lives there said he's seen a dog in the building before, but he is not sure if the god was there legally or not. Is there a good way to convince a landlord to accept a pet? All together, our gross income is more than 6x the rent, and I was thinking we could offer a nice pet deposit, as well as offer to pay slightly more rent for the unit. Are there any other strategies we could use to sweeten the deal? Maybe get pet reference letters from previous landlords?
All you can do is offer a huge pet deposit -- maybe $1000 and make it 1/2 non-refundable -- however, if they say no you just have to move on. I do lease my properties to pet owners because I want my tenants to enjoy their lives and I am a believer in both animal rescue and the value having a pet adds to our personal happiness. However, I sure do understand having a no pet policy especially in multi-occupancy situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 10:52 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,627,239 times
Using the emotional support animal declaration just to get your pet into a no-pet rental is dishonest, and I think if people are going to do that, they're better off spending the minimal extra effort to find a place that does accept pets. However, I really don't think NoMoreSnowForMe deserves all these attacks just for letting people know that these things do happen. I still think her post is worth looking at and I certainly don't think she's trying to encourage people to rip off landlords. She IS a landlord. Why would she want to put HERSELF at a disadvantage?

I have been having problems with anxiety in the last few years and animals help me to calm down. Hypothetically, if I got cats and my doctor says they are therapeutic to me, I'd be pretty angry if a landlord accused me of lying about that. But on that note, even if I DID need them for support, I likely still would not bother to go to a no-pet place and try to get them in.

The point is, I am sure many people who claim to have emotional support animals because of psychological issues are not lying. Unfortunately, every system like this gets abused and you'll get some tenants who just want their dog in a no-pet unit with them.

To the OP - if there is a no-pet policy, the best you can do is offer that deposit and extra rent. It is likely they won't accept it though and there are many good reasons not to allow cats into apartments. For every one cat that is well-behaved, there are 5 that are bad, it seems. I am sure you and your roommate can find a pet-friendly rental that's nice.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:55 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,508,399 times
I remember calling around for apartments when I was looking last year. There was one woman I spoke to (a landlord) who couldn't have been nicer. She had said no pets. I explained I have a great cat, etc. I know that things can change as far as their health and accidents, etc.

She explained that the people who lived in that apartment before had two cats and the cats peed all over the wood floors. She had to rip up the wood floors to get the smell out. BUT she was like you sound so nice, I would like you to come see it anyway.

I didn't end up going because I found something else, but I realize landlord do get burned in these situations.

Even where I live now, the landlord had no problems with my cat, but then she allowed someone else with two cats to move into another rental property she owned...and those people were not good pet owners. She said she found hairballs all over the place that were never cleaned up. So now she doesn't allow pets. She told me "not everyone is like you guys", meaning responsible pet owners...

So bottom line is, bad pet owners ruin it for good pet owners a lot of the time.

I think it's just easier, at the end of the day, to find a place that allows pets.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,793,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I have been having problems with anxiety in the last few years and animals help me to calm down. Hypothetically, if I got cats and my doctor says they are therapeutic to me, I'd be pretty angry if a landlord accused me of lying about that. But on that note, even if I DID need them for support, I likely still would not bother to go to a no-pet place and try to get them in.
I don't believe you would qualify as someone who legally needs an "emotional support pet".

Where such pets are concerned, "Mental disabilities, such as mental retardation, mental illness, and special learning disabilities, qualify under the federal statutes. Also, the mental impairment must affect the person’s ability to perform major life activities such as caring for one’s self, walking, or working."

I don't think in context there was any point at all in bringing up the subject but maybe this clarification will deter someone who decides to try and go this route.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,683,751 times
Many cats don't handle moves very well.

I had a well-trained cat that was more like a ghost than anything. Never a problem. I bought a new home (never lived in) and when we moved in, he went berserk in his new environment. He sprayed everywhere. We eventually replaced the carpet, baseboards, and part of the wall he soaked it so thoroughly.

I understand your frustration. I have a rottweiler and have had a heck of a time trying to find a landlord that will accept her even with renter's insurance that covers her up to $100,000. Crazy, but I'm not going to be dishonest about it and sneak her in.

I don't know where you live, but in my city, there are plenty of places that would take a cat.

Ask. They will probably say no. Move on.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:38 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,632,070 times
Quote:
Using the emotional support animal declaration just to get your pet into a no-pet rental is dishonest, and I think if people are going to do that, they're better off spending the minimal extra effort to find a place that does accept pets. However, I really don't think NoMoreSnowForMe deserves all these attacks just for letting people know that these things do happen. I still think her post is worth looking at and I certainly don't think she's trying to encourage people to rip off landlords. She IS a landlord. Why would she want to put HERSELF at a disadvantage?

The point is, I am sure many people who claim to have emotional support animals because of psychological issues are not lying. Unfortunately, every system like this gets abused and you'll get some tenants who just want their dog in a no-pet unit with them.

To the OP - if there is a no-pet policy, the best you can do is offer that deposit and extra rent. It is likely they won't accept it though and there are many good reasons not to allow cats into apartments. For every one cat that is well-behaved, there are 5 that are bad, it seems. I am sure you and your roommate can find a pet-friendly rental that's nice.
I don't see why anyone would verbally attack her. It's not like she let out a big secret. And its public knowledge. The whole rent with pet or not IMO is a simple preference. Some LL have their rules. Perfect or not its their rules and you agreed to them when you moved in. You want a cat? That's fine, just not in my place. Circumventing those rules simply because you can take advantage of some law because simply you can is wrong. Ethically, morally wrong. It's just lowdown dirty tactic
As a renter if you do something like that, don't expect the LL to retaliate with flowers and a welcoming card for kitty cat.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 10-30-2013 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-30-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I don't believe you would qualify as someone who legally needs an "emotional support pet".

Where such pets are concerned, "Mental disabilities, such as mental retardation, mental illness, and special learning disabilities, qualify under the federal statutes. Also, the mental impairment must affect the person’s ability to perform major life activities such as caring for one’s self, walking, or working."
Thanks for posting that. The last part is referring to major depression, and I can see animals helping people overcome that. I am not that depressed. So yeah, I wouldn't qualify after all. My point was that even if I did qualify, I still don't think I would go for a no-pet place, unless it was my only option.

But yeah you're right, this is pretty off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don't see why anyone would verbally attack her. It's not like she let out a big secret. And its public knowledge. The whole rent with pet or not IMO is a simple preference. Some LL have their rules. Perfect or not its their rules and you agreed to them when you moved in. You want a cat? That's fine, just not in my place. Circumventing those rules simply because you can take advantage of some law because simply you can is wrong. Ethically, morally wrong. It's just lowdown dirty tactic.
I was more referring to Ron's reply as an attack (saying he was 'disappointed in her'), and Kim in FL. Of course it is wrong to circumvent the rules. Sadly, it still happens a lot. I know people who sneak in pets all the time. I have no idea why they do it either. They really don't think the LL will find out??

I wonder if the OP will update us on how the meeting with the LL went.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,583,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

Could you share your source, please? This is not the case, at least in California, regarding emotional support animals. Here is the relevant law in CA:

http://www.disabilityrightsca.org/pubs/548301.pdf

You can have an anxiety disorder and this can be a disability. Doesn't mean the person with the anxiety disorder can't work or is retarded, or can't wash themselves, for goodness sake.

There are different rules for service animals and emotional support animals. The above publication explains the difference.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,072,353 times
Quote:
Thanks for posting that. The last part is referring to major depression, and I can see animals helping people overcome that. I am not that depressed. So yeah, I wouldn't qualify after all. My point was that even if I did qualify, I still don't think I would go for a no-pet place, unless it was my only option.

But yeah you're right, this is pretty off-topic.

I was more referring to Ron's reply as an attack (saying he was 'disappointed in her'), and Kim in FL. Of course it is wrong to circumvent the rules. Sadly, it still happens a lot. I know people who sneak in pets all the time. I have no idea why they do it either. They really don't think the LL will find out??

I wonder if the OP will update us on how the meeting with the LL went.

I'm sorry, but this bull crap pure and simple. And you suggesting that someone lies and commits fraud is beyond wrong. This no better than sneaking an animal in; it's stuff like this that's makes it really hard for those responsible pet owners.

Just to be clear...is this what you considered my attack?

Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I'm sorry, but this bull crap pure and simple. And you suggesting that someone lies and commits fraud is beyond wrong. This no better than sneaking an animal in; it's stuff like this that's makes it really hard for those responsible pet owners.

Just to be clear...is this what you considered my attack?
"You suggesting that someone lies and commits fraud is beyond wrong" is an attack in my view because you are directly addressing Snow and you are claiming she is saying something she isn't.

Snow already said prior to your post that the people with the cat in this case may have this rule apply to them in some way. Personally I doubt it (otherwise why wouldn't they already know about it?) but I guess it could be true. She said she put the rule out there if it applies. So in my view she is not encouraging people to lie or commit fraud.

I agree with you that people lying to their doctor to get their pets in, thereby taking advantage of the law, is definitely wrong to do, and I am not trying to say that just because you say it's wrong then you are attacking someone.

I fear that if we continue this subject, the thread will be locked, so if you want to continue talking to me, it's probably best to do it through direct message.

By the way, you people (not addressing Kim here) who are writing these 'reps' to me and Snow need to chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting