Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 03:52 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I can't imagine that, wow. Some cats I guess can be that way. My cat is like a living stuffed animal, all he does is eat and sleep and when he poops or pisses, it's always in his liter box.
Mine is the same way, but he also whines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 05:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
One thing your friend can do is get the cat qualified as an emotional support animal. Don't know if emotional support animals are allowed in all states or not, you'll have to check that out. But, they are for sure in CA, and they can be any animal, not just a dog.

You friend would need a letter from his/her doctor/psychiatrist. Here are a couple of links about it:

Service Animal Registration - No Dispute ID Cards / Vests

The 411 On Emotional Support Animals - PawNation

The reason emotional support animals are allowed is under disabilities. A disabled person is allowed a reasonable accommodation so that they can rent at a particular location. In other words, if the disabled person needs an emotional support animal, and it's normally against the rules to have a pet, the person can request that the animal be allowed as a reasonable accommodation.

If your friend got his/her shrink to say the cat is needed as an emotional support animal, the LL would have to accept the cat, or could be accused of discrimination. The LL also could not charge any pet fees or pet deposits for the emotional support animal.

To keep on the LL's good side, if you can get the cat qualified as an emotional support animal, you can present the cat as such, but say that you are willing to pay deposits/pet rent, etc., even though you're not required to by law. That might soften the blow to the LL, but the LL would have to allow the cat.
I'm really disappointed in you that you would recommend this. This would be fraud and most landlords would see right through it, especially if the "Emotional Support Animal Declaration" took place recently, while the applicant was looking for a new place to love.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Who's to say the roommate doesn't qualify for an emotional support animal? This can only be done with the cooperation of a mental health professional. I put it out there in case it applies. And for whoever it was who sent me an anonymous "rep" with a nasty comment - grow up. Identify yourself so I can put you on my ignore list. Coward.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Who's to say the roommate doesn't qualify for an emotional support animal? This can only be done with the cooperation of a mental health professional. I put it out there in case it applies. And for whoever it was who sent me an anonymous "rep" with a nasty comment - grow up. Identify yourself so I can put you on my ignore list. Coward.

I'm with CptnRn on this. Its deceitful, and IMO morally wrong.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,737 times
Sounds like the "emotionally in need of an animal" is as phony as a lot of the people who are on pot prescriptions.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but this bull crap pure and simple. And you suggesting that someone lies and commits fraud is beyond wrong. This no better than sneaking an animal in; it's stuff like this that's makes it really hard for those responsible pet owners.

I was in the grocery store the other day and I passed another shopper who had his medium size dog in the back of the grocery cart (not vest on, so I know it wasn't a service dog) and I said something to one of the floor managers and I was told that if the customer says it's a 'service dog' they have to let him in and can't ask for proof. WTF?! So this dog gets to sit in the back of grocery cart with God knows what on his paws so the next person who puts their food/child/handbag gets to carry it home??? Nice.

As for the nasty comment, you can contact a mod and they will take care of it for you.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 AM

912 posts, read 5,262,618 times
Quote:
And for whoever it was who sent me an anonymous "rep" with a nasty comment - grow up. Identify yourself so I can put you on my ignore list. Coward.
Thanks for the nasty comment you privately sent me, its very much appreciated. However, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about, and I can guarantee you I'm fully grown up already and I am no coward. You may want to look up the definition of your insults, and see how they apply to your behavior more than anything.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Thanks for the nasty comment you privately sent me, its very much appreciated. However, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about, and I can guarantee you I'm fully grown up already and I am no coward. You may want to look up the definition of your insults, and see how they apply to your behavior more than anything.
If you didn't send the nasty comment, then I sincerely apologize.

The topic is controversial, obviously. But this is not against the law. If the OP's roommate qualifies for an emotional support animal, it's allowed. Many people don't realize that cats can also be emotional support animals.

I know that many landlords on this forum don't like tenants knowing their rights. My boss has cringed in fear at the thought that someone may one day show up with an emotional support animal, and he hates animals in his building. I don't blame him. I don't blame landlords that don't want animals in their buildings.

But it is legal, and public info. Keeping tenants in the dark is kind of like not teaching slaves to read...

I'm not going to bow to the landlords on the forum who don't like it when I tell tenants their rights.

Whether emotional support dogs or medical marijuana are "morally wrong" is worthy of a discussion, for sure. But, they're not illegal. I'm not telling anyone to commit fraud or break any laws. Just giving info that may or may not apply to the OP, or any future readers who may qualify for an emotional support animal and not realize their cat can qualify.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
It shouldn't be our job as a landlord to tell a tenant what rights they have. They should invest the time into learning that for themselves. As far as the service animal mess, I think that's one that is ripe for abuse and should probably be kept quiet.

If I find someone who has a pet in a no-pet unit, immediate inspection for damage and a cure or quit in the mail. I will not rent to someone with a cat. Not happening, no way, no how. I've seen the damage too many times and won't do it again.

As far as not telling anyone to commit fraud, you're not. But you are certainly planting the seed int heir head. "Well, I love Mr. Skittle so much I'm going to make sure I can keep him and get this fabulous apartment. No greedy landlord is going to tell ME what to do."

Old 10-30-2013, 10:31 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Emotional support animals are not protected under the law, unless it is a local law. The ADA specifically says that only service animals are protected.

Pretending that a pet is a service animal or an emotional support animal is no different than parking in the handicapped parking spot when you have no need of it. In fact, it is much worse, because you will only occupy that parking spot for a few hours.

It's disgustingly dishonest to pretend to have a disability in order to get special privileges.

Fakes and frauds make life more difficult for genuinely disabled persons who genuinely need their service animal.

So shame on all of the cheaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting