Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I was not disagreeing about allowing pets or not, just commenting on cats.

My opinion is; your property, make what ever rules you want.
I was simply responding. No worries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 02:52 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Yes, you can train your pets, but can you them not them to get sick? Can you train a cat not to get a hairball and puke it up on the white carpet? Can you train them not to get a UTI and refuse to the use the cat box because they associate the pain from peeing with the box? Can you train a cat not to claw a carpet? (maybe if you declawed them, but then at that point your finger tips should be cut off as well)

Point is, you can train your pets (and kids) but there are things you have no control over. And a cat peeing in the corner of the living room is one of them.

To the moron who snuck a cat into their unit, it's people like YOU that make renting with pets harder on us great pet owners......I'd report you to your landlord if I could.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:51 AM

701 posts, read 1,692,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Yes, you can train your pets, but can you them not them to get sick? Can you train a cat not to get a hairball and puke it up on the white carpet? Can you train them not to get a UTI and refuse to the use the cat box because they associate the pain from peeing with the box? Can you train a cat not to claw a carpet? (maybe if you declawed them, but then at that point your finger tips should be cut off as well)

Point is, you can train your pets (and kids) but there are things you have no control over. And a cat peeing in the corner of the living room is one of them.

To the moron who snuck a cat into their unit, it's people like YOU that make renting with pets harder on us great pet owners......I'd report you to your landlord if I could.
Amen to the last sentence!

And even the best pet is going to have issues occasionally. My wonderful, sweet, well-trained first dog developed congestive heart failure at the age of 11 and had fainting spells where she released her bladder when she passed out. I had absolutely no control over when and where that would happen. Fortunately for the landlord, I was diligent about cleaning up after her, but not everyone is.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:07 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I can't imagine that, wow. Some cats I guess can be that way. My cat is like a living stuffed animal, all he does is eat and sleep and when he poops or pisses, it's always in his liter box.
Our cat was like that most of its long life, but the last year before it died, it started peeing on the floor instead of its litter box. Ruined a really nice carpet and the smell is really hard to get out of a room. Nothing we could do would make it use the litter box again. I think it was partially dementia. My point is, your cat may be well behaved now but that can change. As a landlord I simply don't want to take the risk of the problems a pet can cause in a rental property. So no pets allowed in my rental house.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
One thing your friend can do is get the cat qualified as an emotional support animal. Don't know if emotional support animals are allowed in all states or not, you'll have to check that out. But, they are for sure in CA, and they can be any animal, not just a dog.

You friend would need a letter from his/her doctor/psychiatrist. Here are a couple of links about it:

Service Animal Registration - No Dispute ID Cards / Vests

The 411 On Emotional Support Animals - PawNation

The reason emotional support animals are allowed is under disabilities. A disabled person is allowed a reasonable accommodation so that they can rent at a particular location. In other words, if the disabled person needs an emotional support animal, and it's normally against the rules to have a pet, the person can request that the animal be allowed as a reasonable accommodation.

If your friend got his/her shrink to say the cat is needed as an emotional support animal, the LL would have to accept the cat, or could be accused of discrimination. The LL also could not charge any pet fees or pet deposits for the emotional support animal.

To keep on the LL's good side, if you can get the cat qualified as an emotional support animal, you can present the cat as such, but say that you are willing to pay deposits/pet rent, etc., even though you're not required to by law. That might soften the blow to the LL, but the LL would have to allow the cat.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:18 PM

150 posts, read 343,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
That actually DID happen to me, hence why I mentioned having a UV kit from a past roommate experience! I had a condo and rented one of the rooms/bathroom, the girl swore the dog was trained, and I ended up paying a couple thousand dollars in carpet replacements. So yes actually, I completely understand it from both sides and have been the LL that got screwed. But on the other hand, some pets ARE extremely well trained and damage free, and some owners are extremely responsible. Quite frankly, between poor kitty going to a shelter, I will gladly keep her. Hidden kitty aside, I'm extremely responsible and since renting, they've actually remarked that the unit is in better shape since I moved in. If you're that kind of person, it can work out fine. If you're not, well you shouldn't have pets at all. Since we're talking no pets allowed, yes, it's not ideal. People do it every day though and the poster seems responsible and willing to cover for potential damages so I'm sure they're not planning on letting it trash the unit. But I'm betting there's other tenants with a pet in their unit, or at least destructive kids that cause three times the damage. It's unfortunate that morons and loser pet owners ruin it for everyone else.
I truly can't understand how you think having a cat in a no-pet rental is okay. I am an animal lover, have two dogs and therefore own my own home. Any animal can damage something in the home. My dogs are very well trained and the difference is if they have an accident in the house, it will not sink into the carpet or hardwood floors and ruin them permanently. My husband is also highly allergic to cats, even after they are gone from the house. If my animals damage something in my owned home, then it is my problem. If your animals damage something in my house that I rented to you with a NO PET POLICY, then it is still my problem. I know about replacing hardwood flooring and carpet from a cat that snuck around and peed in corners.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:31 PM

912 posts, read 5,263,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You friend would need a letter from his/her doctor/psychiatrist. Here are a couple of links about it:

To keep on the LL's good side, if you can get the cat qualified as an emotional support animal, you can present the cat as such, but say that you are willing to pay deposits/pet rent, etc., even though you're not required to by law. That might soften the blow to the LL, but the LL would have to allow the cat.
While this is generally good advice, I think that using this system to get around a landlord's NO PET policy, especially crying discrimination on top of it, and force them to rent to you, is not only fraud, but it undermines the very reality that service and emotional support animals actually help a ton of people who legitimately need this service. Besides, any half competent landlord should be able to see through this BS and find other, legitimate reasons to not rent to you.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Get a different roommate that doesn't have any pets. Or move to this unit solo (no roommate). Problem solved.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
One thing your friend can do is get the cat qualified as an emotional support animal. Don't know if emotional support animals are allowed in all states or not, you'll have to check that out. But, they are for sure in CA, and they can be any animal, not just a dog.

The reason emotional support animals are allowed is under disabilities. A disabled person is allowed a reasonable accommodation so that they can rent at a particular location. In other words, if the disabled person needs an emotional support animal, and it's normally against the rules to have a pet, the person can request that the animal be allowed as a reasonable accommodation.

If your friend got his/her shrink to say the cat is needed as an emotional support animal, the LL would have to accept the cat, or could be accused of discrimination. The LL also could not charge any pet fees or pet deposits for the emotional support animal.

Lol I guarantee that LL will be giving you a vacate notice at the first infraction. That's a sure fire way to get a vacate notice. And no tenant ever followed the lease. To the letter. I'm sure most give LL plenty of ammo

Old 10-29-2013, 03:44 PM

122 posts, read 349,297 times
I made the mistake of having a dog in an apartment that didn’t allow pets (yes I regret it, I learned my lesson. ) Problem was, I never understood why they didn’t accept pets. Some of the apts had huge backyards with a gate. Anyways, when I had to work, the dog got bored. He destroyed my apartment. From the carpet to the walls. I eventually chose him over the apartment that I loved. I moved out to a pet friendly place. I know sometimes us animal lovers want the best for our pets but we gotta be considerate of others who might not share our love for animals. Your best bet is to find a place that allows pets : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting