Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 10:21 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
In many states today possession (for personal use) of marijuana can result in a felony conviction. In other states, it's legalized. Labeling someone as a felon may therefore be a result of geography, not character.

I once lived in a small metro that had two shopping malls and was split between two counties. In one county the prosecutors were overworked and underfunded; a $300 shoplifting charge was no big deal and was regularly pled down to a misdemeanor. In the other county life was much slower and a $300 shoplifting charge was a fully prosecuted felony. This from my boss who at the time was a county commissioner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 10:25 AM

I have zero criminal record and my unfixable bad credit maxes me just as unworthy as a felon.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:08 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cummings View Post
I have a felony marijuana trafficking charge and I can't get a place anywhere,....... I have a son that is 6 months old, and I really need a place
Is the question about having a son cancelling out a felony drug trafficking charge? Because it doesn't.

My best suggestion is to get yourself qualified for a better job and buy your own house. It doesn't have to be a big fancy house. There must be cheap old mobile homes somewhere in Kentucky that would keep the rain off of your head.

Quote:
In many states today possession (for personal use) of marijuana can result in a felony conviction. In other states, it's legalized. Labeling someone as a felon may therefore be a result of geography, not character.
In no state is drug trafficking legal. This poster is not talking about recreational use.

I don't want marijuana in my rentals and I don't want tenants with friends who think they can use marijuana in my rentals. It seems to me to be a pretty good indication that someone is a marijuana user if they have a conviction for possession. It's been decades since 1-2 mj cigarette would get you arrested. Anyone arrested for minute amounts was doing something else that got him into trouble and the MJ was just the easiest charge to get to stick.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 08-27-2016 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-28-2016, 08:41 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have zero criminal record and my unfixable bad credit maxes me just as unworthy as a felon.

I don't want to take this thread off topic but credit can be fixed. I know - I fixed mine after becoming a widow without paying anyone a dime. DM me if you want.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't want to take this thread off topic but credit can be fixed. I know - I fixed mine after becoming a widow without paying anyone a dime. DM me if you want.

Um, I have never ever ever heard of any way to get money judgments off your credit report without paying someone every dime the judgment says you owe, plus interest at 12 percent per annum.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:18 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Um, I have never ever ever heard of any way to get money judgments off your credit report without paying someone every dime the judgment says you owe, plus interest at 12 percent per annum.
There are two ways: pay it before it becomes a judgement, or pay it with interest after the judgement.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:02 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
You can fix your credit...pay your bills...
Someone with a drug possession charge is a better risk than someone with bad credit. The person with bad credit has already shown that they don't pay bills as agreed or uphold contractual obligations.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:38 PM

103 posts, read 221,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanischristian View Post
most of you are sad individuals, i pity you for your views, i am convicted felon, and since my conviction have had 6 and half yrs of persecution, i made a mistake, i did my time for it, i have not been part of the revidicism rate, i dont have friends that would trash the dwelling, all i want is to live my life in peace and put the past behind me, but jackasses like the ones here make sure it never happens
I think it needs to be done on an individual basis. I know legally you aren't supposed to look at arrests but only convictions but I know of many people around here with all sorts of theft, drug and violent crime arrests and few real convictions. You see Florida has drug court and hands out probation like candy and very often allows the record to be expunged so no conviction is ever seen.

There is nothing worse than signing a lease and having the landlord allow a drug addicted sexual predator to move in next to you 1 month into your 12 month lease.

If your convictions are 6 years old and you've kept clean with no major arrests since then, I would say you are probably okay. If OTOH you have all sorts of arrests since then (regardless of conviction) then I would say not much has probably changed.

No one wants to live next to criminals. If you are a decent person and reformed you yourself ought to understand this. Most of us aren't going to hold it over your head forever.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
There are two ways: pay it before it becomes a judgement, or pay it with interest after the judgement.

I was in hospital with zero income and zero savings, how would paying it off early have worked? And when I went back to work, The Rent Ate First (and the student loans) so there was nothing left to pay off the judgments/.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
You can fix your credit...pay your bills...
Someone with a drug possession charge is a better risk than someone with bad credit. The person with bad credit has already shown that they don't pay bills as agreed or uphold contractual obligations.

I've paid every bill on time for the past 15 years on my minimum wage income; there are two old bills outstanding from a time I was in hospital with zero income for an extended spell. How do you expect someone with an abrupt total loss of income to pay bills as agreed?

Since The Rent Eats First, and current bills eat second, it's probably going to be a while before the old bills are paid off.

But I could have walked away from those old debts through bankruptcy, and my credit would be squeaky clean today if I had done so - nobody would know I ever had debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting