Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 11:30 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times

Advertisements

if I knew my landlord rented to a felon, criminal, etc and put me and the other tenants at risk, I would not be comfortable living in the apartment building. no telling what they will do to your apartment while you are away from home. especially if they were a thief or robber or locksmith who went to jail for illegal activity/abusing his locksmith skills to break in to an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 03:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
if I knew my landlord rented to a felon, criminal, etc and put me and the other tenants at risk, I would not be comfortable living in the apartment building. no telling what they will do to your apartment while you are away from home. especially if they were a thief or robber or locksmith who went to jail for illegal activity/abusing his locksmith skills to break in to an apartment.

Landlords generally don't have to worry about that because we peons paying the rent - unlike the landlord - do not have access to that information (unless said felon is a registered sex offender, which might be one of the reasons sex offenders have the most difficulty in renting).

Old 01-10-2017, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Well, allow me to throw in a curve ball. I am a landlady and I don't do background checks. I don't mind renting to first-time renters, retirees, those with poor credit (how would I know?), widows and widowers and someone down on his luck or fresh out of prison.

BUT, I rent my houses out on a month-to-month basis with very well-defined and written stipulations and take dated pictures of the property. One went sour. It happens to people who do background and credit checks too.
im really looking for a place to stay i work please reply

Old 01-10-2017, 11:09 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,800,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
Wow, the grammar.
Yeah..I thought the same thing. Painful to read. You is right...lol

Old 01-11-2017, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 876 times
Hi. Alice, are you in the Jacksonville area and do you have anything for rent at this time. I have a good full time job and have had no run ins with law enforcement for over 6 years. Either way let me know.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:51 AM

902 posts, read 863,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Fair. But suppose that in each case the (prospective) tenant furnished the information. In case 1, suppose the (prospective) tenant told you directly about the act. In case 2, suppose the (prospective) tenant brought the documents to show what the offense was. And it was simply sex with a 16-year -old in a state with an 18 AOC.

If a prospective tenant directly told me about any sex act, I would not rent to them. What kind of person talks about sex to a property owner while checking out a place to live? Nobody, that's who. We call those types of things "Red Flags".

Now if a person was disclosing a criminal background prior to the background check and it inlvolved a 16 year old when the "perpetrator" was not that much older, that potentially changes things.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 749 times
I know this is late in the game with what is being spoken here. Its 2017 and this looks like it was started back in 2008 but I am dealing with this now. I am in that situation as we speak. My husband was actually slammed with something he didn't do because the woman wanted to be sinical and bitter. No we are dealing with this for the rest of our lives. We're good people. All we want is a descent place to live. We dont bother anyone, we get up every day and go to work and on Sundays we go to church. We enjoy football, movies etc etc but he was locked up while I was staying in my apartment and now we have to leave. We have nowhere to go and its hell. I know nobody wants to hear my husband is a good guy and he didnt do anything, they all say that. But what I'm saying is the truth. I mean it is what it is, we have no reason to bs anyone. We just want to be alone and enjoy our marriage. I mean no I dont judge anyone and yes I do feel you should check a person out before you allow them to live in your neighborhood but truthfully everyone isnt guilty. Innocent people do every now and again take the rap for some mess just because someone wants to get revenge or whatever their reasoning is. I dont know what the outcome will be for me and my family but I just wanted to put my opinion in and say that we are going thru this and we are good people. We mean no one any harm. I hate what was done to my husband and I dont know if this person will ever come forward and tell the truth but either way we will make it and toughen it out together.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:13 AM

32,651 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown_14 View Post
........we have no reason to bs anyone. ..........
Except the reason that you are trying to find a place to live. That looks like a pretty good reason to me.

I'm a landlord. I am not going to make the extra effort to sort it all out and sift through the felons to find the good people who just happen to be felons. Not to mention, federal law says I have to treat everyone the same. If my written criteria says felons will be rejected, that means all felons will be rejected. I can't take the ones I like and reject the rest of them.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,094 times
Default Criminal Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmama View Post
I am doing a paper on renting apartments to people who has a criminal record. I am doing a poll on do you think its right to discriminate those who has done their time. Their working hard everyday on a job but can't get an apartment beccause they have a felony record. Please give me your opinion on this topic.

They are either righteous people or they are not. Everybody deserves a chance and that is the chance you take. Ask them if you can speak to their parole officer if they are on supervision and by all means do a good back ground check and see what their record is.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:40 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Except the reason that you are trying to find a place to live. That looks like a pretty good reason to me.

I'm a landlord. I am not going to make the extra effort to sort it all out and sift through the felons to find the good people who just happen to be felons. Not to mention, federal law says I have to treat everyone the same. If my written criteria says felons will be rejected, that means all felons will be rejected. I can't take the ones I like and reject the rest of them.

I think you are doing the appropriate thing by excluding all, otherwise you might get accused of showing favoritism/discrimination. And secondly, after reading that lady's plea to which you responded, I don't know who to believe, if she is innocent or not. Therefore, so that you don't have to sort thru all this, then it might be best just to not accept any felons or ex-cons (innocent or guilty). because I have no idea whether someone is telling the truth or not. Even if they get references, they could lie for their friend. Just like the rule about NO PETS. That keeps people from trying to slip thru the cracks of a nice landlord and then you be a nice person, and that's when they do bad stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting