Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 12:36 PM

29 posts, read 10,961 times

Advertisements

Hey, I am living in NC and planning to move out of my apartment in 2 months. I and my friend have been living here for a bit under a year. My current problem is that on our "move out cleaning sheet" it mentions us having to shampoo the carpets and possibly even having to supply a receipt for "professional cleaning". We are fully understanding that cleaning is our responsibility. I checked all through our lease and nowhere in it does it mention needing to clean the carpets. The only fee I can find on the entire lease is that once we move out since we have a cat we need to pay a "cleansing fee" of $125. I was looking at reviews for the complex and many of the people are saying that when moving out they try to pinch every penny possible from the tenants. Almost all of the negative reviews mention the complex fining $200-$300 dollars just for a carpet cleaning fee (again nowhere in lease does it mention this). My problem with this is other than walking on it and the carpet slightly loosing it's "fluff feeling" there are no damages or any spills on the carpet. Am I wrong in thinking that walked on carpet would be considered wear and tear or are my and my friend expected to pay this even though it wasn't mentioned before we moved in? If I need to I'm open to a court case as some reviews were mentioning fees of close to $700. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated!!

Sorry if this was a bit of a thick read, slightly flustered and am currently being ignored by our leasing staff when I email to ask about this information.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 01:01 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
I would go rent a carpet cleaner and clean the carpets especially since you have a cat. It's not that expensive and then you can tell them the carpets were cleaned. Keep the receipt from the rental. It will help you rebut any claim that you left the carpets dirty if they try to make one later.

I don't think they can make you have them professionally cleaned if the lease doesn't specify it.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I would go rent a carpet cleaner and clean the carpets especially since you have a cat. It's not that expensive and then you can tell them the carpets were cleaned. Keep the receipt from the rental. It will help you rebut any claim that you left the carpets dirty if they try to make one later.

I don't think they can make you have them professionally cleaned if the lease doesn't specify it.

Thank you Rowan! We will rent a cleaner and take care of that. I guess my second question for this is if they do fine us 300 dollars after cleaning what should be our next action? I want to be prepared in case this stuff does happen!

Old 08-07-2019, 02:33 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Cat pee and dander is DAMAGE. If you don't think so you've never owned rentals where tenants had cats. I doubt that you will remove the smell and all the dander with rented equipment and you'll end up being charged for professional cleaning anyway.

I suggest you get a cleaning company to do it with their machines that are powerful enough to suck every bit of smell and dander out of the carpet. Might cost you some but it will cost you more if you don't control the situation yourself. Get a receipt and take photos of the cleaning people at work.

If the landlord wrongfully keeps your deposit, your option is to sue in small claims court.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:44 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
I'll amend my answer a little bit. If the cat peed anywhere then I think you will need a professional cleaner or you may loose your security deposit. If you end up going that route, document as suggested above. However if the LL is playing games, you may lose your security deposit regardless of what you do.

Cat dander is basically dead skin cells and doesn't damage anything anymore than human dead skin cells do.

If you are fined and think the fine isn't justified, don't pay it. You may end up going to small claims court to defend against paying it if the LL pursues it or you may need to go to small claims court to get back your security deposit.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Cat pee and dander is DAMAGE. If you don't think so you've never owned rentals where tenants had cats. I doubt that you will remove the smell and all the dander with rented equipment and you'll end up being charged for professional cleaning anyway.

I suggest you get a cleaning company to do it with their machines that are powerful enough to suck every bit of smell and dander out of the carpet. Might cost you some but it will cost you more if you don't control the situation yourself. Get a receipt and take photos of the cleaning people at work.

If the landlord wrongfully keeps your deposit, your option is to sue in small claims court.

Is that not why I'm paying a $125 "cleansing fee" for the pet addendum though? The cat has never had any bodily fluids touched the carpet. I was under the understanding that the fee as it being part of the pet addendum covered this, but also the $300 fee other people were discussing in reviews is a flat fee they charge everyone even though it's nowhere in the lease. That is the question I'm asking. I'm not questioning the 125 as it was in the lease and I signed it, I'm more questioning the 'carpet needs to be professionally cleaned regardless' fee which ends up being I have only read that this fee ends up being 300.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I'll amend my answer a little bit. If the cat peed anywhere then I think you will need a professional cleaner or you may loose your security deposit. If you end up going that route, document as suggested above. However if the LL is playing games, you may lose your security deposit regardless of what you do.

Cat dander is basically dead skin cells and doesn't damage anything anymore than human dead skin cells do.

If you are fined and think the fine isn't justified, don't pay it. You may end up going to small claims court to defend against paying it if the LL pursues it or you may need to go to small claims court to get back your security deposit.

Sorry I understand! That's also why i specified that there have been no spills or anything else other than the carpet being walked on but there is also a fee in the pet addendum for $125 (Which I'm totally fine paying as I signed the lease that said that). It was vacuumed regularly and the only reasoning I've ever heard given for professionally cleaning from what I've seen in reviews and talking to people in the complex was "fee to fix high traffic areas". Sorry if I'm not articulating correctly I'm half confused myself, I thought high traffic areas would just be wear and tear.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:05 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You've been told that professional carpet cleaning is expected. Those machines that you rent and clean the carpet yourself actually damage the carpet.

You've got a cat. No one wants to move into your old apartment with cat hair, cat dander, and cat hairball yurp in the carpeting. No one wants all of your dirt that you tracked in and didn't remove.

If you want your deposit back, hire a professional carpet cleaner as you have been instructed.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You've been told that professional carpet cleaning is expected. Those machines that you rent and clean the carpet yourself actually damage the carpet.

You've got a cat. No one wants to move into your old apartment with cat hair, cat dander, and cat hairball yurp in the carpeting. No one wants all of your dirt that you tracked in and didn't remove.

If you want your deposit back, hire a professional carpet cleaner as you have been instructed.
Again, this is a sheet given to everyone I am already paying $125 for carpet cleansing because I have a cat, I was not instructed to have the carpet professionally cleaned I was given the same sheet everyone else was given when they move out pet owner or not. My question is if it's not in the lease and if the carpet is not damaged why would there be a need to have it professionally cleaned ESPECIALLY if I'm already paying to have it treated because I had a cat. I have not been fined this is all theoretical in case I am which I thought I clearly explained in the original post mentioning other people's expirences.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:21 PM

357 posts, read 247,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewG96 View Post
Again, this is a sheet given to everyone I am already paying $125 for carpet cleansing because I have a cat, I was not instructed to have the carpet professionally cleaned I was given the same sheet everyone else was given when they move out pet owner or not. My question is if it's not in the lease and if the carpet is not damaged why would there be a need to have it professionally cleaned ESPECIALLY if I'm already paying to have it treated because I had a cat. I have not been fined this is all theoretical in case I am which I thought I clearly explained in the original post mentioning other people's expirences.
What does it say about this cat cleansing? Maybe it is not just limited to carpets. They’ve been known to damage a lot, such as clawing up door frames, or spraying walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting