Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 08:15 PM

29 posts, read 10,948 times

Advertisements

Good grief.... It is not about the cat, the question is if the lease doesn't state we need to shampoo the carpet is the owner allowed to charge for professional cleaning to be done if there is no damages, this is not a question for just pet owner as the apartment charges based on pet or no pet. Forget all the details. If the lease doesn't say shampoo the carpets is it legal to charge a Tennant in NC to have the carpets professionally cleaned in between tenancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 09:00 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Sheesh Clip coupon already Stanly Steamer & others usually have sales

YES Cat Dander is Dangerous IF the next person is Allergic to Cats! It could mean a trip to the Hospital!

Old 08-08-2019, 12:42 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,985 times
Just sue them in small claim court. Do not bother doing professional cleaning of the carpet. Instead take landlord to court and challenge every single fee

Old 08-08-2019, 01:10 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewG96 View Post
Good grief.... It is not about the cat, the question is if the lease doesn't state we need to shampoo the carpet is the owner allowed to charge for professional cleaning to be done if there is no damages, this is not a question for just pet owner as the apartment charges based on pet or no pet. Forget all the details. If the lease doesn't say shampoo the carpets is it legal to charge a Tennant in NC to have the carpets professionally cleaned in between tenancy.
The LL is the one determining "damage" or not, not you. It may end up being about the cat that your LL knows you had in the apartment, it may not. Regardless how clean you think the unit was left. If they withhold your deposit and you think there's no merit to the damage claim, pursue it in small claims and provide evidence that you cleaned to some reasonable level. Providing a professional carpet cleaning receipt may help convince a judge that you made a good faith effort.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:25 AM

357 posts, read 247,766 times
Quote:
You made it about the cat when you cited the cat cleansing fee. You seem to think that absolves you of any damages the cat made to the unit. That’s not how it works.

It’s hard to say without seeing the documents and correspondence between you and what verbiage is being used for the money being withheld.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Again, this is a sheet given to everyone I am already paying $125 for carpet cleansing because I have a cat, I was not instructed to have the carpet professionally cleaned I was given the same sheet everyone else was given when they move out pet owner or not. My question is if it's not in the lease and if the carpet is not damaged why would there be a need to have it professionally cleaned ESPECIALLY if I'm already paying to have it treated because I had a cat. I have not been fined this is all theoretical in case I am which I thought I clearly explained in the original post mentioning other people's expirences.
If you didn’t have a pet, you wouldn’t be paying this fee. More than likely they are treating your unit for fleas and not ‘cleaning the carpet’.

You’d have to get a professional carpet cleaner anyway, so call Stanley Steamer and get it done.

Car dander is damage and will be a problem for the next tenant if they are allergic to cats.

I might be repeating what others have said.. didn’t read the whole thread

Old 08-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Thank you to the two people that took the time to actually read the question.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaTownsley View Post
You made it about the cat when you cited the cat cleansing fee. You seem to think that absolves you of any damages the cat made to the unit. That’s not how it works.

It’s hard to say without seeing the documents and correspondence between you and what verbiage is being used for the money being withheld.
If you would use your eyes and read you would realize that what was said is that the only fee listed in the lease is this. There has been no fees I've read reviews and asked what to do in case they happen. I am asking why everyone would be charged a $300 fee not listed in the lease. For the fifth time, this fee is given to everyone, pet owner or not and not in the lease. It's a fee for "high traffic areas". Which a family lawyer mentioned was wear and tear. I can't comprehend why I have to write this 6 times. This forum is honestly less fun than talking to a finance manager at a car dealership.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:01 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,234,327 times
Quote:
If you would use your eyes and read you would realize that what was said is that the only fee listed in the lease is this. There has been no fees I've read reviews and asked what to do in case they happen. I am asking why everyone would be charged a $300 fee not listed in the lease. For the fifth time, this fee is given to everyone, pet owner or not and not in the lease. It's a fee for "high traffic areas". Which a family lawyer mentioned was wear and tear. I can't comprehend why I have to write this 6 times. This forum is honestly less fun than talking to a finance manager at a car dealership.
If it is cleanable then it is dirt and not wear and tear. Wear in carpets is matting, loose/lightly torn fibers. Wear is not stains, dirt, discoloration of any kind.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
If it is cleanable then it is dirt and not wear and tear. Wear in carpets is matting, loose/lightly torn fibers. Wear is not stains, dirt, discoloration of any kind.
Thank you for letting me know that "high traffic areas" means the floor that I live on is stained and dirty. This is walked on carpet not stains and dirt. Again, I talked with a family real estate lawyer and he said it was wear and tear. You people are actually the opposite of helpful with the exception of two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting