Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 10:22 AM

13,932 posts, read 39,418,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewG96 View Post
Good grief.... It is not about the cat, the question is if the lease doesn't state we need to shampoo the carpet is the owner allowed to charge for professional cleaning to be done if there is no damages, this is not a question for just pet owner as the apartment charges based on pet or no pet. Forget all the details. If the lease doesn't say shampoo the carpets is it legal to charge a Tennant in NC to have the carpets professionally cleaned in between tenancy.

You are in NC So Check your State & Local Rules on this. Google is your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 10:26 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,160,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewG96 View Post
Thank you for letting me know that "high traffic areas" means the floor that I live on is stained and dirty. This is walked on carpet not stains and dirt. Again, I talked with a family real estate lawyer and he said it was wear and tear. You people are actually the opposite of helpful with the exception of two.

Stained and dirt that is cleanable can't be classified as wear and tear. Anything that can't be cleaned is wear and tear. Legally you need to return apartment back in same condition as rented minus wear and tear. Landlord likely will withhold the deposit and to get it back you will need to sue.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:27 AM

29 posts, read 11,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Stained and dirt that is cleanable can't be classified as wear and tear. Anything that can't be cleaned is wear and tear. Legally you need to return apartment back in same condition as rented minus wear and tear. Landlord likely will withhold the deposit and to get it back you will need to sue.
Where have I once mentioned that the floor is stained or dirty? This is seemingly getting grasped out of the air by many posters. Your post was one of the two that actually answered the question. Thanks.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:42 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,152,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You've been told that professional carpet cleaning is expected. Those machines that you rent and clean the carpet yourself actually damage the carpet.

You've got a cat. No one wants to move into your old apartment with cat hair, cat dander, and cat hairball yurp in the carpeting. No one wants all of your dirt that you tracked in and didn't remove.

If you want your deposit back, hire a professional carpet cleaner as you have been instructed.
Yes, but if professional carpet cleaning is expected that must be outlined in the lease, no?

Old 08-08-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Yes, but if professional carpet cleaning is expected that must be outlined in the lease, no?

Yes and even then it might not be enforceable. Just because landlord feels that carpet needs to be professionally cleaned doesn't mean it have to. If carpet looks clean, that is good enough. If landlord wants to have it professionally cleaned that is on them.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:34 PM

29 posts, read 11,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Yes and even then it might not be enforceable. Just because landlord feels that carpet needs to be professionally cleaned doesn't mean it have to. If carpet looks clean, that is good enough. If landlord wants to have it professionally cleaned that is on them.
Fantastic! This is the information I was looking for! Thank you, you two. Not really sure why everyone else would stop reading at the second sentence but this is the stuff I was hoping to see!

Old 08-08-2019, 02:52 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,095,215 times
I’ve read the entire thread and I don’t get why such strong opposition to having the carpet professionally cleaned whether it’s in the lease specifically or not. It’s not that expensive and in order to leave everything nice and professional looking it’s the right thing to do. This isn’t a war. Just have the carpet professionally cleaned and get your receipt and move on.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:01 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,054,958 times
Why do people always bish about the carpet cleaning? You made it dirty, so pay up.
Just think of it as $120 over 12 months, which is $10 per month for clean carpet.

What I really don't understand is those who live in a place for 4 years, walk their stank shoes all over the carpet, and object to paying $120 for professional carpet cleaning.
Amortized over 4 years, that's just $2.50 per month !!!!!!!

I'd like to see all you people sit on the floor where dogs and cats have wiped their anuses. Yeah it LOOKS clean.

How about this spoon and plate... I'll just wipe this dirty spoon with a paper towel until it looks shiny, and let you eat from it. I mean, it looks clean.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:17 PM

13,298 posts, read 8,521,897 times
Whether it's written in the lease or not, the landlord can and will deduct for cleaning. This includes the carpet,the windows, you name it. And you would be best armed by hiring a professional. We got a coupon from Merry maids to do the general clean up and got a coupon for $49.99 to shampoo /clean two rooms. It was so worth it when our landlord tried to deduct it. Ten days later he received the court papers . 30 days later the money he withheld was returned. We then ask for the court fees to file since he would have asked the same via the courts if he won. He gave us half . So we did ok.
Basically cover all bases when vacating.
Worse deductation we got was supposed crumbs on a counter. That 40$ fee to wipe up crumbs was beyond trivial. We still laugh about that 30 years later.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3;55885038[B
]Whether it's written in the lease or not, the landlord can and will deduct for cleaning.[/b] This includes the carpet,the windows, you name it. And you would be best armed by hiring a professional. We got a coupon from Merry maids to do the general clean up and got a coupon for $49.99 to shampoo /clean two rooms. It was so worth it when our landlord tried to deduct it. Ten days later he received the court papers . 30 days later the money he withheld was returned. We then ask for the court fees to file since he would have asked the same via the courts if he won. He gave us half . So we did ok.
Basically cover all bases when vacating.
Worse deductation we got was supposed crumbs on a counter. That 40$ fee to wipe up crumbs was beyond trivial. We still laugh about that 30 years later.

Landlord can deduct for anything he/she wants. The reality is court will not usually permit it unless tenant been late on rent, and place looks like a mess when tenant left. Most landlords think that people are too busy to sue in small claim court so they can just keep the deposit. A good landlord always does cleaning prior to renting to new tenant which includes carpet cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting