Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:23 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,519,607 times

Advertisements

I always wonder about these, where did you go after you were evicted? And why didn't you go before you were evicted? People always seem surprised that there's an eviction on their record. Didn't you have to go to court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,165 times
With how this economy is a lot of people have evictions. To say that you would never rent to someone who has an eviction is just wrong. You can also say that you wouldn't want to hear the excuses...but several things happen in peoples lives where they just can't help it. Everyone deserves a second chance (my opinion)

Old 09-29-2013, 11:33 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snootyp82 View Post
With how this economy is a lot of people have evictions. To say that you would never rent to someone who has an eviction is just wrong....... Everyone deserves a second chance (my opinion)
Nobody "deserves" a second chance. Some might be lucky and be given a second chance from someone's generosity, but they have no right to that second chance. Your actions have consequences and you might have to live with those consequences.

In order to have an eviction, a person has to dig in their heels and refuse to pay rent or to move out until the judge orders the sheriff to throw them out. No, I am not going to rent to them, knowing I might have to take them to court to get them back out when they decide to stop paying the rent.

I am not the only landlord to feel that way. So if a tenant has stopped paying rent and forced the landlord to take them to court to get them out, the tenant gets to live with the consequences that his own behavior has caused him.

Advice for tenants: when you receive a notice to vacate, pack up and go. Because if you force an eviction, you will cause yourself decades of grief in the future.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Nobody "deserves" a second chance. Some might be lucky and be given a second chance from someone's generosity, but they have no right to that second chance. Your actions have consequences and you might have to live with those consequences.

In order to have an eviction, a person has to dig in their heels and refuse to pay rent or to move out until the judge orders the sheriff to throw them out. No, I am not going to rent to them, knowing I might have to take them to court to get them back out when they decide to stop paying the rent.

I am not the only landlord to feel that way. So if a tenant has stopped paying rent and forced the landlord to take them to court to get them out, the tenant gets to live with the consequences that his own behavior has caused him.

Advice for tenants: when you receive a notice to vacate, pack up and go. Because if you force an eviction, you will cause yourself decades of grief in the future.
I agree. It's not like you didn't see it coming. You know you're going to have to move one way or the other. One way you move earlier and don't get evicted. The other way you wait to move and get evicted. That extra 30 days or whatever you stayed for "free" isn't "free," after all.

This says so much to me as a landlord. It says you think it's okay to be this irresponsible as far as planning goes, and you're okay with sticking it to your landlord.

I've had many tenants that had to move out because of losing jobs, getting pregnant, etc., etc., who left in a responsible manner and didn't get evicted. You can't convince me you didn't have a choice. Sell everything on Craigslist and move into a hostel, or a shelter, or your car for goodness sake. There are options. It's a matter of priorities. If you don't care about your credit or your ability to rent from someone else, then fine. Get evicted. But, you don't wait to get evicted and not have a consequence.

What would be in it for me to take a chance on you? If you were the only tenant who applied and I was desperate for the rent, then maybe. If you were a landlord, would you choose the tenant who has been evicted or the one who has always paid rent on time? Duh.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:51 AM

243 posts, read 467,580 times
People get sometimes into clinical depression (after losing job) without knowing themselves, they slowly get increasingly passive and anxious, they let it go downhill, fall behind payments, get evicted. Then, sooner or later, get job back , steady source of income etc. but doomed to live with roomates, in motels or buying houses, possibly only paying cash.

Life is more complex than typical conservative viewpoint: "irresponsible", "knew what he or she was doing" etc.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,044 times
evection forgiveness . I have a friend with 2 children and she got eviction and she is on a fixed income . wish there were more people like you.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I agree. It's not like you didn't see it coming. You know you're going to have to move one way or the other. One way you move earlier and don't get evicted. The other way you wait to move and get evicted. That extra 30 days or whatever you stayed for "free" isn't "free," after all.

This says so much to me as a landlord. It says you think it's okay to be this irresponsible as far as planning goes, and you're okay with sticking it to your landlord.

I've had many tenants that had to move out because of losing jobs, getting pregnant, etc., etc., who left in a responsible manner and didn't get evicted. You can't convince me you didn't have a choice. Sell everything on Craigslist and move into a hostel, or a shelter, or your car for goodness sake. There are options. It's a matter of priorities. If you don't care about your credit or your ability to rent from someone else, then fine. Get evicted. But, you don't wait to get evicted and not have a consequence.

What would be in it for me to take a chance on you? If you were the only tenant who applied and I was desperate for the rent, then maybe. If you were a landlord, would you choose the tenant who has been evicted or the one who has always paid rent on time? Duh.
I agree. I can also see the point of everyone who says that people do fall on hard times that cannot be avoided, etc. I get it, sometimes life throws curve balls and maybe it isn't pure irresponsibility or lack of respect... but I would guess the vast majority of evictions are.

I now find myself on the LL side of the argument trying to find a decent renter for a home I got stuck with, in my name but not my residence. Paying for both homes will cause me huge financial issues unless I can sell (that doesn't seem possible right now) or rent it out. If I rent to someone and they skip even one month's rent, they're immediately taking money directly out of my pocket that I can't afford them to take. At that point regardless of the reason for the nonpayment, I need them out so I can get someone in there who can pay. The second I see signs that the tenant is going to start causing that sort of trouble, I'm going to have to mobilize to correct the issue one way or another before they start taking their financial issues out on MY credit rating. However, if it did end in eviction, depending on the situation and whether they paid back their past due rent in a decent amount of time, I would consider giving them a letter to help smooth over future problems the eviction would cause with future rental apps.

In my case picking a tenant is like finding someone to dance on the wire with that won't step on my toes and make me fall off. We have to work together, and a prior eviction is a big red flag that for whatever reason they didn't do that before. While I'd love to be a bleeding heart and help out a guy, I simply can't afford to take that chance. There's no way for a potential LL to know who are the bad seeds and who are the ones that just had a bad streak... it all looks the same on paper.

If you haven't kept your nose (and rental) clean and left behind a LL with a grudge, unfortunately you're just going to have to start from zero and make sure you do everything by the book, with as much consideration for the LL as possible so that you can build up good rental references again, even if that means you have to dig for LLs who don't check references to do it. You can always just apply for the place you want; the worst they can do is deny you. If they charge an application fee there's a good chance they're going to check your history so that's something to look for. To fly in the face of some advice here, I am obviously a small timer private LL but still do credit/background checks (and charge an application fee) and then connect all the dots to see if it all adds up to an overall positive history. I'd say an eviction would be an automatic denial for me, too, but if it's been more than five years and you've got a positive rental history since then (that doesn't include renting from relatives), I'd still consider it, but everything else would need to be fairly stellar and I wouldn't rent if the eviction is fairly fresh.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:45 PM

39 posts, read 82,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviction Forgiveness View Post
Just because someone has bad luck or has an uptight landlord, EVERYBODY deserves a second chance and maybe even a third chance. Every situation is different and as a landlord my tenants are usually on there last leg and are willing to make the changes necessary to fullfil their agreement to pay their month to month rental obligations. Some people really have a valid excuse for their situation. It takes some investigation on the landlords part but sometimes its worth taking a chance on someone in need.
you are a rare one and the kind people with past evictions need in order start repairing their rental reputation. Some landlords are willing like you and others see 1 or more evictions and pass because they don't want to go through the costly process of evicting someone. Evictions suck for everyone involved. Landlords like you are a godsend for renters like me. I'm not perfect. I've made mistakes and learned my lesson.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:59 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You can't convince me you didn't have a choice. Sell everything on Craigslist and move into a hostel, or a shelter, or your car for goodness sake. There are options. It's a matter of priorities.
Be real... are you serious . Apparently you are not aware there are in many places up to a 3 year waiting list for shelters . Live in the car .. yeah I knew a kid who had to live in the car with his single mom after they ran out of money following his older brother 's death due to a drunk driver running over him on his bicycle and lingering for 3 years . Today he is an incredibly f*cked up person , they finally found a hovel to live in .That woman worked like a dog to keep afloat .
Also shelters separate families alot of times because people can be crazy and dangerous . Men over here , women and kids over there

I have never had an eviction and I would pack and move way before I was evicted but to non chalantly suggest selling whatever you possess and live in your car or assume a shelter is even open isn't the way to go.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:12 PM

893 posts, read 886,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post
People are outright evil, heartless, SOBs. If you know how hard it is then you should try to help out because you've "been there".

You make me want to buy an apartment building just to rent to people who fell on hard times.
Old thread but this makes me laugh. I'm 100% positive that if you did what you say, you'd soon after be saying the same thing other landlords are saying.

It's not heartless....It's reality and obviously, you and others have no real idea what that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting