Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:23 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times

Advertisements

Cannot understand why a person who is renting (not the owner) is so picky on the owners demands. They have the total right as owners of a property to set guidelines. If a tenent does not like it...then move OUT.

If I am not happy or satisified with a business that I visit then I go elsewhere. Same could be with renting...not happy then go elsewhere...simple solution.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 18,580 times
kodaka, it's not really directed at you of course. You did say you know huskys are not aggressive. I'm sure you are just being devils advocate to inform me of the 'other side's' perspective and that is valuable.
steve, you are correct. If i don't like the service, i should move out. Totally right. I already found new places for a lot less money with wood floors, not crappy carpets and real washer/dryers not the bs combo ones here that don't work. Places where they voluntarily spray for bugs versus request after request at the flamingo in south beach not being serviced and infesting the walls and appliances. Places where fire alarms don't go off 3-4 nights a week in the middle of the night loud as hell in every apartment and take 15m or longer to turn off liek they do at the flamingo south beach. Places that recycle b/c they care about the environment. Places that are not always hot or always cold and don't spew in pollen and dead rat smell through the a/c. Places whose pipes don't burst every time there is a storm causing flooding of bedroom closets. A place where they aren't so short on cash that the leave every single dog waste bag dispenser empty for an entire week at a time like at the flamingo south beach.

I don't know what biz either of you are in, but i know that if you gave your long time customers 7 days notice instead of something reasonable ... you would be pissed, regardless of whatever excuse or reason they cower behind.

I know that if you did business with a corp and they conveniently 'removed' paperwork you filled out and left it out of the packet they encouraged you to wait for... to be delivered to you....you'd be pretty pissed. Smells fishy.

That's how it is here at the flamingo south beach or whoever is running the show over at AIMCO for this property.

employees give 2 weeks notice to avoid extreme interruption of a biz.
businesses usually give 30 or even 60 days before you are disconnected and sent on your way to find new services or products elsewhere.
I'm paying full market rate ($1700/mo for a 1bd! f'n a!) after almost 6 yrs now. My good friends that used to live here and were neighbors have moved out mainly for the above menitoned reasons and only my ability to have my dogs here and a decent view has kept me here.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:51 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Take a trip to the vet for a statement about your breed of dog for your own protection in a new community. Keep records of everything, otherwise, you'll be going down this road again. Good Luck

Old 04-21-2010, 01:44 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Yes I Think it Sucks that they Only gave you a 7 DAY notice to move!!

Old 04-21-2010, 03:30 PM

I thought i could remove the dogs by the notice date and ride out the rest of the month to look for a new place and move. WRONG. I talked to them and boy are they unbelievable.

They said that if i removed the dogs by the date and stayed past that myself then I CURED the 'situation' and if i leave before Jan 2011 I am at that point terminating the lease, paying termination fees plus losing my $1500 deposit. I'm paid up this month thru the last day of the month plus i have a $50 credit.

They tell me that if i stay w the dogs then i get an eviction notice from them but that it is not filed with the courts or messing w my credit, so they say!?!?! If I proceed that way then they say i have 7 days from 26th to get out, not counting weekends, which means i have to be out by 6th. According to the agent I may or may not be losing my deposit in that case.

WTF!

Also they told me it was AIMCO's decision of their own accord to add husky's to the list.

Now i am even more pissed off than i was before and I was pretty pissed off already then.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:42 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Well I believe YOU NEED a Lawyer! They ARE NUTS!!

Old 04-21-2010, 04:00 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
If you conduct a careful cost-benefit analysis I think you will find that this is a non-starter and the only reason you would really press the apartment complex would be a matter of irrational principle. Do you really want to live at an apartment with management that is willing to "lose" documents?

Old 04-21-2010, 04:20 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,515 times
Personally I would let them start eviction papers .. make them take me to court and as long as you have all your rent reciepts its not likely the judge will uphold the eviction .. To me it sounds like they are breaking the lease .. and you should be most grateful
I think I would be calling a lawyer as well .. instead of asking us here .. Honestly the deal stinks and the office might need a pointed reminder from a lawyer that they arent playing with a full deck

you might find this useful
Floridas' Landlord/Tenant Law

Old 04-22-2010, 12:58 AM

Default Dont rent at the flamingo in south beach- constant fire alarms and roaches

Quote:
This is correct, and would come under grandfathering, the dog breed would be exempt for future tenants.
Vergode, you may be right. I examined my lease.

It's titled 'renewal addendum'. They didn't have a dog list then except maybe pitbulls since they are illegal in FL afaik. It clearly begins by stating this is a addendum to the lease dated 8/8/2005 which was when i xfer'd from another apt here after 1.5yrs. I'm not sure I have the original lease from 2005. This addendum mentions nothing about pets whatsoever in all 11 pages. It does mention a lot and does mention 'Notification of Changes' which only asks for updates within 5 days changes per employer, employer phone number and home phone number. Nothing else nor anything about pets. Does that override any duty to notify of anything else that may be requested possibly in the original lease per notifications that must be given? It does say: "Any word with its initial letter capitalized and not defined in this Addendum shall have the meaning given to it in the Lease"
The comunity policies and procedures addendum included with this renewal addendum has point #18
Quote:
"18. Notification of Changes A resident shall notify Landlord in writing within 5 days after any change in such resident's employer, employer telephone number, or home telephone number."
That looks like a capital letter to me!?!?!? and it's underlined. Doesn't mention pets.
Same addendum, #21
Quote:
21. General Except as expressly modified by these Community Policies and Procedures, all terms and conditions of the Lease remain unchanged, and the provisions of the Lease are applicable to the fullest extent not inconsistent with these Community Policies and Procedures. If a conflict between the terms of the Community Policies and Procedures and the Lease exists, the terms of these Community Policies and Procedures shall control the matters specifically governed by these Community Policies and Procedures"
Additionally, the early lease termination options addendum has my check and initial on 'no early termination fee stating 'resident does not agree to liquidated damages or an early termination fee'. that page is signed by me and general manager.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:09 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
You seem to be back and forth about how to proceed. Call AIMCO's corporate office, the PM has someone she's accountable to (just a suggestion if you feel comfortable). From what I know, they seem to be a reputable property management co, with locations all over the country (or east coast) there are a few here where I live.

What they're saying is if you leave voluntarily within the time frame, no eviction will be filed, so there will be no court records. An eviction does show on the credit record, I think you misunderstood there and this is preferable to them, they don't want to go to court.

Lets say you decide to stay with the dogs and ride this out and they file the eviction, because of the length of time you've been a resident with pets, (unless you've haven't been completely honest, I'm taking your word everything you've posted is true). I don't believe a judge will grant an eviction as another poster pointed out. It would be a must that you be present for the hearing.

Last edited by virgode; 04-22-2010 at 03:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting