Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:54 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,016 times

Advertisements

There is a simple way to deal with something like this. Find a doctor that will recommend use of a service dog to treat a 'condition', now you can tell any landlord to pound sand, the dogs stay.

You can usually find a dog loving doctor that will do this for a few bucks. It is like having an ace in the hole to use against aggressive landlords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 01:04 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
I don't want to live in your world of lies.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:18 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
There is a simple way to deal with something like this. Find a doctor that will recommend use of a service dog to treat a 'condition', now you can tell any landlord to pound sand, the dogs stay.

You can usually find a dog loving doctor that will do this for a few bucks. It is like having an ace in the hole to use against aggressive landlords.
If you're going to suggest lying to game the system, at least get the terminology correct. A service dog is a very well trained and very expensive animal. I've seen them in action. One was at my daughter's wedding. When I mentioned it a few weeks later to a guest, she had no idea a dog was there. That is how well trained they are.

If you mean to get a doctor to write a letter for an emotional support animal, you are part of the reason more and more people have little support for these animals and become annoyed by them. I saw one yesterday at the airport. I'm fairly certain the young woman with the dog had no need for the animal, but was gaming the system. This really makes it more difficult for those people that could benefit from a trained service dog or support animal.

Lying--what a great way to lead one's life Karma

Old 03-11-2018, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,031 times
If none of the above works, I would try registering the dogs as emotional support animals. If you really want to stay, it's worth looking into. Emotional support dogs can live with you even in housing that's not pet-friendly.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:23 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah_McGowan View Post
If none of the above works, I would try registering the dogs as emotional support animals. If you really want to stay, it's worth looking into. Emotional support dogs can live with you even in housing that's not pet-friendly.
Emotional support animals are only for people with mental disabilities. So you are advocating that people should pretend to be handicapped in order to get special privileges.

Shame on you.

By the way, OP's dog has since died of old age.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:33 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
I'm sure that the OP has found a solution by now, since this is a 7 year old thread, and there have been no posts since then.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:04 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Quote:

This post proves that people are taking advantage of legitimate support animals. I would not want to be a landlord with this kind of tenant's lousy attitude. You make it hard for the next person who has a legitimate medical dog.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:29 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:

A fake service dog can be spotted a mile away. Doesn't stay on task, doesn't focus on the person they are supposed to be assisting, gets distracted by environmental stimuli like other dogs and animals in the vicinity...

You play with fire trying to pull that stunt. The crack-down on fake ESA/service animals on planes is going to turn to the fakes in rentals next. You watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting