Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:11 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times

Advertisements

Craigslist is a good/great resource for checking out prices of apartment rentals in towns and cities all over the world.

Though metro areas are walkable, and often have public transportation, I wouldn't rule out small towns, even without a car. If one lives near Main Street, a bicycle is all that's needed to get around town for all needs. A basket, front or rear, lets you tote groceries, library books, etc. And it's safer to ride a bike with less traffic.

Farmer's Markets and vegetable stands can supply healthy foods often lower (and healthier) than grocery store prices.

Ideal would be a small satellite town within hailing distance to a college/university for cultural stimulation, but not so close that the students have gobbled up all the modest rentals.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:57 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
I haven't read all the posts, but if you've researched Nicaragua, what do you think about Panama? The political situation seems more stable and friendly to Americans there than in Nicaragua.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 AM

291 posts, read 452,309 times
Default "Guajira Guantanamera ... "

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
I have lived in and traveled to over 110 foreign countries, since you have traveled also you know that could be an affordable option.
Yes, I've been checking out countries all over the world - South and Central America mostly. Problem here though is that my Social Security benefit only qualifies me for one country - Nicaragua. I spend alot of time on NicaraguaLiving.com talking to both expats and Nicas and trying to figure out if it's financially practical. I've lived in Haiti and the Dominican Republic as a representative of the Episcopal Church so I know what life's like in the barrios. I know that's where I'd be if I went (not the gated pleasure palaces that have sprung up all over Central America. Much to consider ...

Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Default "Life in a Northern town ... "

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Ideal would be a small satellite town within hailing distance to a college/university for cultural stimulation, but not so close that the students have gobbled up all the modest rentals.
Thank you. You're so idealistic you make me want to cry.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,315 times
I have lived more than 6 months and up to 3 years in the following:

Nicaragua
Residency with an Income of $400 a Month

Panama
at least $500 per month. This goes up by $100 per month for each dependent

Uruguay
income requirement by proving that you have annual income of at least US$6,000--from a pension, a mutual fund, lease income from assets inside or outside Uruguay

Guatemala
An income of $1000 a month is needed

Ecuador
at least $800 per month

Costa Rica
at least US$1,000 per month

Old 10-06-2010, 11:12 AM

Default Escape From America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I haven't read all the posts, but if you've researched Nicaragua, what do you think about Panama? The political situation seems more stable and friendly to Americans there than in Nicaragua.
Yes, Panama has alot going for it; no need to change currencies, everyone bilingual, safe & secure. Like Costa Rica, though, the prices are rising as so many U.S. citizens retire there. The fly in the ointment is that the minimum retirement income required for permanent residency is at least $1000/mo. That's out of my league.

Yeah, Nicaraguan politics could get ugly. Ortega's back in power so the next time we get a republican in the White House we'll probably invade them again.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM

Default The High Cost of Poverty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
I have lived more than 6 months and up to 3 years in the following:
Nicaragua
Residency with an Income of $400 a Month
Panama
at least $500 per month. This goes up by $100 per month for each dependent
Uruguay
income requirement by proving that you have annual income of at least US$6,000--from a pension, a mutual fund, lease income from assets inside or outside Uruguay
Guatemala
An income of $1000 a month is needed
Ecuador
at least $800 per month
Costa Rica
at least US$1,000 per month
In 2009 Nicaragua's law was changed to expedite the imigration process but upped the income requirement to $600/mo.

If Panama was still at $500/mo. I would be considering it but I'm pretty sure they've upped it to at least $1K/mo.

I think Uruguay has increased also, otherwise I'd be considering it.

Yeah, for the time being, Ecuador is second cheapest to Nicaragua at $800/mo.

The one that really cracks me up is Belize - $2K/mo. (plus endless "fees"). Can't tell me it actually costs that much to live there.

Last edited by SelflessGene; 10-06-2010 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: compulsive attention to detail

Old 10-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Default "Back in the U.S.A. ... "

Somewhere to get started with rental assistance:

PHA Contact Information - HUD

Fastest shrinking cities. (Does that mean fastest growing vacancies?):

http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...-91_table4.pdf (broken link)

This is for 2005-2006. Still looking for more recent figures in similar format.

Last edited by SelflessGene; 10-06-2010 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: added disclaimer

Old 10-07-2010, 04:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I have cleaned up this thread. Please stay on the original topic. Personal comments or digs will be handled. We are here to help each other not insult each other

If you have nothing to add to the thread.. move along. The OP was specific in what he was looking for regarding information.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:41 PM

Smile Keeper is my editor, I shall not want ...

Fine job of editing. Much thanks to Keeper for making this thread readable again.

If only I'd known about the Ignore List option before. Could have saved me alot of typing. Demonstrated provocateurs are on the list, future provocateurs get one visible (to me) post and then also go on the list. Character assassination loses its appeal when your target can't hear you.

Now, what were we discussing ... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement