Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,017,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
Fine job of editing. Much thanks to Keeper for making this thread readable again.

If only I'd known about the Ignore List option before. Could have saved me alot of typing. Demonstrated provocateurs are on the list, future provocateurs get one visible (to me) post and then also go on the list. Character assassination loses its appeal when your target can't hear you.

Now, what were we discussing ... ?
essential facts for low income retirees

my two cents:

On the barest of bones budget, don't own a house no matter how cheap you can get it. Ever-rising property taxes, water & sewer, house insurance, maintenance will all sink you on a low budget. There is no "renter's help" or other help for the struggling homeowners of our country (unless you default on your mortgage but then you have to go find a rental usually at high cost, and you've lost a chunk of money).

Go for (1) subsidized senior housing (if you are a senior) or (2) regular subsidized housing. The first has many desirable places but long waiting lists. The second you are thrown in with all kinds of people you may not want to live that close to. I'm NOT stereotyping, just reporting what others have found in what they call "the projects." That said, there may be some OK ones out there. Takes some sleuthing.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:51 PM

291 posts, read 452,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
On the barest of bones budget, don't own a house no matter how cheap you can get it.
Well put but just how long are those lines for rent subsidizes. Saw TV news story where rent vouchers were being issued and something like 30,000 people showed up.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,268,742 times
Just a suggestion - take a look at work camping RV positions (Google work camping and you'll find a lot of leads). A very basic used camper unit (truck camper, van, etc.) is pretty inexpensive. The work camper positions may offer a free site, hookups and sometimes a little bit of cash, the specifics vary but it can be a very cheap way to live.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,435,074 times
Quote:
Well put but just how long are those lines for rent subsidizes. Saw TV news story where rent vouchers were being issued and something like 30,000 people showed up.
Yes, I have seen these stories. I have done some research in the Denver area for myself. I am disabled on Social Security and I am in my low sixties. I have looked at many communities and asked about all the list.

It appears to me that public assistant housing that is managed directly by the city or county have big waiting lists and are consequently closed often. However, there are many more subsidized housing that are managed by non-profit agencies, and faith based organizations that maintain their own lists for each property. These properties are not as well known or advertised as public housing and consequently are not seen as much by "poor" people who tend to not do good searches but just rely on more easily seen government information.

These other agencies and organizations have received federal funding to fund and built these properties and are required to offer subsidized or below market rate housing to the disabled, poor and elderly. Some housing is mandated by newer developments that require certain set asides for the needy.

From my exploration, I get the strong impression that waiting lists are subject to many influences. To be a little blunt--if you look nice, clean and are pleasant--your name is given a little nudge. After all these lists are maintained by people not machines, and a little self marketing can work. I think if you also meet the organization's "profile", either Jewish/Christian/Catholic etc., you are better considered. That does not bode well for an atheist, like myself, as I have never seen a housing project for senior atheists.

What I am saying is that you appear intelligent and I think have the ability to do better research and find these facilities. It is very surprising that for years, I have passed housing in Denver and I had no idea that it was subsidized housing--they looked that good. Now that I have looked at many, I have never found one that I would reject; I have never seen any that looked bad, like the housing projects I have known in New York or other eastern cities, years ago.

Obviously, the bigger the urban area, the more options available. You have stated that you use public transit and you know that a dense urban city is the best place to find good service. I think that the older high rise residences in the cities are good when they are near good public transit and a walkable neighborhoods. Since, you are not so concerned with quality vs. economy, you can find many more options in a city with varied values and qualities.

Livecontent

Old 10-08-2010, 12:13 AM

18,747 posts, read 33,500,676 times
I think we should have LiveContent start a retirement community for atheists and sympathizers!

Old 10-08-2010, 03:09 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,291,913 times
Quote:
A friend in Florida just looked into Section 8 subsidized in the greater Ocala,Florida area.
She was told the waiting list is 3 years right now.
Not something you can rely on if pre-planning

Old 10-08-2010, 07:52 AM

Default "Hit the road, Jack ... "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Just a suggestion - take a look at work camping RV positions (Google work camping and you'll find a lot of leads). A very basic used camper unit (truck camper, van, etc.) is pretty inexpensive. The work camper positions may offer a free site, hookups and sometimes a little bit of cash, the specifics vary but it can be a very cheap way to live.
I've actually looked into the possibility of living in an RV but so far have only scratched the surface. I don't know what "work camping" is all about but I will follow your suggestion.

Thanks for your input. This kind of "out of the box" thinking is very refreshing.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Default Somebody's Been Doing Their Homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
From my exploration, I get the strong impression that waiting lists are subject to many influences.
Wow! Seems the more you look into these things the more complicated they get. Your "exploration" has impressed upon me the complexity of the whole business and the need for extensive proactive investigation.

Thank you for your input.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Angry Poof, you're gone ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think we should have LiveContent start a retirement community for atheists and sympathizers!
You're out of line. Ad hominem attacks on OP or sincere respondants will not be tolerated. Read the post from Keeper (a moderator) above and my post that follows. You're on my Ignore List so there's no point in posting here except to see yourself in print.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Default How Do You Plan For The Unplanable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
A friend in Florida just looked into Section 8 subsidized in the greater Ocala,Florida area.
She was told the waiting list is 3 years right now.
Not something you can rely on if pre-planning
Exactly my concern. It seems to be a Catch-22. If somehow you've managed to make do for three years then how come you now need assistance? Seems there has to be a demonstrable change in circumstances to warrent consideration.

My grandmother and aunt shared an apartment and their combined income paid the rent. Grandma died and then my aunt's income alone was insufficient. She got assistance right away.

Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement