Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 08:25 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,664,218 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Southern California and love the Laguna area.
Laguna Beach is my very favorite vacation spot. They have a wonderful art festival there every year in July and August: Festival of the Arts/Pageant of the Masters. Really an experience to go to it. There's a Sawdust Festival at the same time, plus a couple of others. I've got several paintings, artwork, bowls, etc. that I've bought there on visits.
It looks like Laguna Woods would be close to a lot of things, the Mission at San Juan Capistrano, UC Irvine, John Wayne Airport, much easier to get in and out of than LAX.
I'd rather visit than live there, though. Too crowded. I'll stay in East Tennessee.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
John Wayne Airport

Is that really the name of the airport?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-06-2008, 04:50 PM

Coney ~~Yes. I am considering all options also. It is sort of cool knowing that you have anywhere in this beautiful huge country to move. (well, except San Francisco, so wonderful, but totally unaffordable) .

Wisteria ~ and aren't the people on the Las Cruces Forum nice? They are so helpful, I have found.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-06-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
John Wayne Airport

Is that really the name of the airport?
Yep.
John Wayne Airport (SNA), Orange County, California
It's also known as Orange County but everyone calls it John Wayne.
Nice airport.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Do you think there will ever be a Brad Pitt Airport ?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:52 PM

Stranger things have happened! But I doubt it. Movies aren't as important to Southern California today.
Southern California is a strange and interesting place, particularly Orange County, home of the rich and vapid as well as the John Birch Society. Remember them?
When I was growing up, everyone's father seemed to work in two industries: Aerospace or Movies. They flew, built or designed planes and rockets or worked in movies or a related industry. The rich and famous were in oil or banking.
My dad was with Douglas, other dads on the block worked at Hughes, were pilots for American and United, designed stuff for Disney, painted scenery for MGM, were animators, cartoonist, did voices, commercials, etc. The studios were huge and that's where everything was filmed and taped.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:53 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
Quote:
It's also known as Orange County but everyone calls it John Wayne.
It originally was named Orange County Airport, but in 1979 the name was officially changed to John Wayne Airport to honor the actor, who lived in nearby Newport Beach and had died that year. (I remember at the time thinking it was ridiculous ... he's an ACTOR, for goodness' sake!) To make it even more confusing, the airport code is SNA because its mailing address is Santa Ana! Yes, it's much more convenient than LAX for flying into OC, but the flights are limited (hours, size of aircraft, etc.).

Knox, yes, I've been to the art festival and it, and Laguna itself, is fabulous! I didn't actually see the "pageant", but I understand it's quite spectacular. I agree SoCal is crowded, but as I mentioned, I am trying to be closer to healthcare. It's all kind of a moot point right now because I'm in the same boat as ConeyIsBabe -- have a place to sell first, and am not willing to just give it away. I'm in a vacation home area, so now that the season's over, there aren't many lookers except for bottom-feeders looking for a fire-sale.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:20 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
ConeyIsBabe, I checked out the Villages board and saw some of your posts there from a few months ago. I was just wondering if you've changed your mind about The Villages. It seemed like you were very excited about moving there (if your OR place sold) but now might be considering CA? TV sounds like a fun place with lots of activities, but I personally would not be able to stand the humid weather...as well as being so far from all the amenities of a big city.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,049,321 times
Wink The Villages Florida

Avalon08...... the only reason I was considering The Villages in central Florida was IF my daughter was to relocate back on the east coast (Miami). Then I wanted to be on the same coast, even if it is about a 4 hour drive. But, that didn't work out for her at this time so she's returning to live with me; perhaps in the future.

Otherwise..... if I had my d'ruthers...... I'd LOVE to live in Laguna Woods Village CA because of the most desirable climate and its proximity to the coast !! Sure it's probably double the cost of Florida but probably worth it. I'm 70 years-old now, and would like to downsize eventually - before I run out of energy!

Anyway, I'm stuck in my tiny rural town of 2k population, 8 miles to Grants Pass, 11 miles to Medford. The people are very nice. Very low stress. Very affordable. Beautiful natural scenery. I'm stocking up on thermal long-johns and madrone for the wood stove (haha).

Old 09-08-2008, 01:35 PM

It isn't just the weather of The Villages, for me anyway. I read that book Leisureville and I was very put off about some of the things (and people) in it. It just does not seem to have the ambiance I am looking for in a place.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement