Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 07:41 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times

Advertisements

Yeah, add me to the list of people who are "staying put" because our houses won't sell. And I made the mistake of looking at my 401k tonight....ughhh. I thought I had a financial plan in place, but I never expected this.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:57 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi folks! Just checking in after crawling out from under that most recent (financial) crash! I may have to re-evaluate my plans! Looks like many of will have to - bummer

I want to keep in touch with everyone here -- explore new options considering the economy. I was hoping things would get better, but as you know, it's only getting worse.....so, it's time to revamp plans.

At this point in life, I still think it is a good idea to join other women in finding a place to live.

Maybe many women have enough money to make it and purchase a place without consideration for extra income, but it doesn't seem like it from these posts -- sounds like working together might be easier and more fun!

Extra income will become more important now that our world has changed.

I'd be happy to brainstorm some entrepreneurial ideas for us as a group. I'm here in California, and I have a small (550 sq. ft.) extra building on the property that could be used for starting a small business. If three or four women were interested, we could set up camp at my place and do something here for the time being. I think that with the country's seemingly downward spiral, we would be wise to supplement our income with something entrepreneurial.

Let's start thinking about it - First, thank you so much for offering your place - how fun would that be!! Looks like I need to sit for bit until I know just how bad it's going to get. But, I'm not giving up yet - future work or some source of extra income has become mandatory . Maybe we should all meet at my home, let's say about the end of Jan-first of Feb It would be fun to hear all the screaming !! Toughen up!!

I wanted to move next year, but that may not be as feasible as I had originally hoped. The good side, though, is that my daughter still can come home once a month and visit -- she's come home twice since starting college, and it has been wonderful to see her. We are establishing our new roles as mother-without-her-daughter-living-with-her and "new college student living in the dorms." So, it's not all hopeless.

This is a real adjustment for both of you, I suspect, more for you than her - when you're young you usually are looking forward. Sounds like you are doing the empty nest very well.

I have another friend in NYC who is interested in coming back to California. So, I am opening my horizons to Northern California -- areas around Chico and Paradise. Paradise Chamber of Commerce - Tourism (http://www.paradisechamber.com/tourism.html - broken link) They are very reasonable, good weather, long growing seasons, and sunshine. So, I'm juggling New Mexico and Northern California, now. It's almost comparable to New Mexico in costs.

We shall see what the next six months bring -- a recession/depression, or a (hopefully) rise out of these financial depths.

I've used the past month to just regroup and rest after 18 years of mothering (not that it ever stops). I'm settling in with a new boss, and finally starting to feel a bit more rested after years of practically living out of my car because of driving my daughter around to everyplace, skipping lunches and breaks as a result, and doing double-time with so many things. It's time to regenerate and start more careful planning.

I was wondering what happened to Anomoly, too -- I wonder if she's okay?? ANOMOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just let us know that you're OK!!!!!!! Has anyone hread from her since she moved to Las Cruces? Maybe she fell in love - yea!!!!

Glad to see this thread will have a birthday soon! Maybe there would be an event in the U.S. (for me, especially the west or southwest) that we could all plan to attend -- share the costs of hotels, etc. Or, if anyone was open to it, although my house is small, we could have a sleep-over style get-together at my home near Santa Cruz -- there is tons to do here! An hour and a half from San Francisco, forty-five minutes from San Jose, and forty-five minutes to Monterey. Santa Cruz has plenty to keep one right in town, though. Again - this is great of you to invite strangers to your home. Maybe you should meet people first? I'm game for whatever, but, not right now. Looks like I need to get a job (part-time) over the winter.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out how to do it on a cut-down budget now. At least I know I'm not alone in this national predictament.

But...I did just renew my subscription to "New Mexico Magazine," so I'm not giving up hope!
To be continued........

Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,821 times
Default Hi everyone!

Today, Monday, 9-28?
I haven't had internet access for a loooong time, and it's killing me. Rignt now, I'm in Dennys till my battery runs down, so no time to read through much (I miss you guys!!!).

Just an update: Was gettting familiar with Las Cruces, but hadn't found a perm place, so I've been at the State Parks. In the last 2 weeks, a whole new change of plans (number.....1000?).
My mom will be 82 this month, she's in Salem, Or, and I've considered going there over the last 2-3 years, but managed to avoid it LOL. It's cold, rainy, and well, you know how mothers can be sometimes.
Well, NOW'S THE TIME, I guess. Suddenly, the intuition met no opposition in my mind. Everything in me kept saying yes, so I'll be heading up there in the next week or so. try to get there by oct 19 for her Bday. I will be staying through the winter, and still plan to live in Las Cruces at some point, but somehow, it didn't seem so urgent all of a sudden. Go figure.

I think, after spending a long cold winter (below freezing, burrrr), in Truth or Consequences, NM (the town IS the Consequences!) in an RV (that felt like living in a closet), welll, the thought of having a whole house to walk around in sounds like a step up!! Seriously, I think I got vericose veins from sitting inside all winter. I'm a desert girl for a reason--I get cold at 70!
So, all is well, I'll say more when I can----wnen I get there, I will get internet ASAP, and try to check in before.
Anomoly

Old 09-29-2008, 09:55 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Default Gd to Hear You Are OK!!

Anomoly - Glad all is well with you - I was really beginning to wonder - I understand why your mom gets on your case now & then . Many people have had to change plans - for now - due to our delightful state of national affairs. I love how you just can take off like you do, live wherever you want to, carefree - no yard FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope MOM is OK - perhaps that 6th sense is in overdrive - good idea to go home. Drive carefully and enjoy!!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:59 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Today, Monday, 9-28?
I haven't had internet access for a loooong time, and it's killing me. Rignt now, I'm in Dennys till my battery runs down, so no time to read through much (I miss you guys!!!).

Just an update: Was gettting familiar with Las Cruces, but hadn't found a perm place, so I've been at the State Parks. In the last 2 weeks, a whole new change of plans (number.....1000?).
My mom will be 82 this month, she's in Salem, Or, and I've considered going there over the last 2-3 years, but managed to avoid it LOL. It's cold, rainy, and well, you know how mothers can be sometimes.
Well, NOW'S THE TIME, I guess. Suddenly, the intuition met no opposition in my mind. Everything in me kept saying yes, so I'll be heading up there in the next week or so. try to get there by oct 19 for her Bday. I will be staying through the winter, and still plan to live in Las Cruces at some point, but somehow, it didn't seem so urgent all of a sudden. Go figure.

I think, after spending a long cold winter (below freezing, burrrr), in Truth or Consequences, NM (the town IS the Consequences!) in an RV (that felt like living in a closet), welll, the thought of having a whole house to walk around in sounds like a step up!! Seriously, I think I got vericose veins from sitting inside all winter. I'm a desert girl for a reason--I get cold at 70!
So, all is well, I'll say more when I can----wnen I get there, I will get internet ASAP, and try to check in before.
Anomoly
Glad to hear from you Anomoly. I was wondering how Las Cruces was going. I'll look forward to hearing more of your adventures to the NW. Santa Fe had lots of rain this weekend and I woke up to gray skies and thought I was in WA! I was glad to have it rain since I was tired of watering the new perennials I had planted this summer.

Hey all--I wrote a long post last week and it disappeared. Weird--but I never seem able to finish one before I get interrupted. Still busy setting up the house. I had a few more things to hang and do some cleaning which I've put off doing because I've been doing fun things on the weekends so I invited my knitting group to my house next week to get myself to finish. I spent this last weekend doing the last of hanging pictures, curtain rods, ordering fabric for curtains. It's amazing how much time it takes to get settled in a new place.

After sitting and looking at how nice the place looked I was wishing my friends in WA were around to call and invite over. The downside to moving--missing established friends and hoping I can find new friends that are spontaneous about doing things. I went to the house behind mine and introduced myself to the new neighbor--two older women bought the place. I then stopped by another neighbor (Ellen) that I've done things with but she had company. So I made comfort food (popcorn) and started watching a movie. An hour later my doorbell rang and it was Ellen asking if I wanted to go for a walk with another friend of hers. YES! It was on a great walking/biking trail south of town with views of the Ortiz and Sandia Mountains. We talked about doing other things together--next week go up to the ski area and see the aspens and in December take a XC ski lesson through the community college.

The really good news is my roof is not leaking after this latest rain. Three months of trying to get the builder to fix it! Now they can blow in more insulation and drywall and then if I want, I can rent the room out. At times it seems ridiculous to have all this space just for me but it would have to be the right person to be in my sanctuary.
Have a good week all!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:45 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Glad to hear your update, Dancingearth! I was wondering how you were doing. Any new photos of your place? Have you had a chance to work on your yard -- it looked like it had lots of promise!

Well, folks, let's see how this economic tumble works out, and get the ball rolling again. I feel like I hit a rock in the road -- or maybe a huge boulder!

Glad to hear Anomoly is okay -- please keep us posted from the PNW -- you might be spending a lot of time indoors this winter, so keep us updated!

Hang in there -- we'll be okay. Still have to figure out that meet-up!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:07 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Glad to hear your update, Dancingearth! I was wondering how you were doing. Any new photos of your place? Have you had a chance to work on your yard -- it looked like it had lots of promise!
My goal for the summer was to double dig the sideyard up to the front door and put in some drainage and something interesting besides flat dirt. I dragged rocks over from the field across the street. Exhausting work but I got some exercise. I reached my goal and even planted two additional plants further alongside the house. When my son visited he built a coyote fence to raise my front wall so it is more private. The pictures aren't great - the sun makes it look like the wall goes up and down--weird. I also made the mistake of using straw as mulch (cheap) and the plants are too small and don't show up well in the straw. It was such a wet summer the straw sprouted! So I have some organic matter to dig into the clay/sand soil. I felt successful when I dug some soil I had worked earlier in the summer and found a worm and birds started showing up at the bird feeder. Next year everything should be bigger and look better and hopefully the honeysuckle will start covering that big expanse of block wall.

I have more ideas than time or money. I'd like to create a trellis on the back of the inside front wall and plant a clematis--maybe with an arch over the door. Also make a Santa Fe wood door to really close in the garden. I always wanted a secret garden. Suddenly the small yard seems a lot bigger with all the work that needs to be done. Next year I want to put in a raised vegetable garden (more hauling free rocks) in the corner and figure out another tree for the backyard and a fountain and work on the drainage of the backyard and....
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-garden-wall.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-img_0939.jpg  

Last edited by Dancingearth; 01-04-2009 at 09:23 AM..

Old 10-07-2008, 06:01 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Nice pictures. A garden is always a work in progress and changes with the seasons. It's what makes them so ever pleasing and fascinating. It looks quite nice in it's infant stage. You've done a lot with bare ground in just a short time.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:28 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Good work, Dancingearth!

Those rocks are heavy! I like that touch of the wood along the fence -- that is called a "coyote fence?" Hmmm, we have coyotes up here, too, so maybe I ought to consider that! It gives it a nice warm touch against the concrete.

Looks like you will be kept busy this next year! It must feel really good, though, to have your own home now! You've actually accomplished quite a bit since you moved there -- congratulations!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of what you've done as you get there. From those very first photos to now, you can see you've done a lot of work! Good job!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I guess we are all in the same boat. At least we can commiserate together.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.