Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Does your company's retirement plan include health insurance? That's a big and expensive stumbling block if you retire before Medicare kicks in.
If you've got that covered, seriously consider it. I would suggest spending more than a week in a place before moving there. And look into all the costs, particularly things like home and car insurance in Florida, cost of electricity, property taxes.
We've got a lot of people on the City-Data Knoxville board moving from Florida because of the high costs.
Yes - my health insurance will follow me. That's one good thing about working for state government - so far they haven't messed with retiree health insurance. The only problem is that I may have to switch carriers. I'm currently with an HMO and I don't believe it provides coverage for Florida residents. I'm checking into that right now. And I've been checking things like real estate taxes and insurance, both of which are going to run me a little higher than where I am now. On the other hand, I suspect electricity should cost me much less in Florida (as long as I don't end up with a heated pool). Winter heating bills will definitely be much less.

And I agree one week isn't enough. I've actually spent quite a lot of time in Florida. My Dad was a Florida resident until meeting my Mom and relocating to Maryland, so I spent summers there as a kid. And I've visited many times since, and that's how I've kind of decided on the specific area. But visiting there and actually living there are two different things.

If all goes as planned, I want to rent for a while before I actually make the leap, so I'll be more sure about my decision. I have enough saved so I could pay my mortgage on my retirement income for 6 months to a year before things started getting tight.

Reading over this, I guess I should be alright. Maybe I've talked myself into it! Anyway, I appreciate your input. I tend to be overly cautious about making big decisions - maybe I just need a little shove to get me going!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Hi Janet,

I live in south Florida, am 57 years old and would love to retire early. May I ask what region of Florida you were considering moving to? There are other costs to a pool besides heating. The cost of electricity of running the pump, cleaner etc. If you live in a community with a YMCA, you might want to swim in their pool. Best of luck and keep us posted. Perhaps you could find a part time job that interests you to help defray the expenses.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:07 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,611 times
Hi Plantlover:

I'm looking at the Inverness area. I know it doesn't appeal to a lot of people because it's kind of out-of-the-way, and quiet - not a lot going on. But at this point in my life that's very appealing to me. I love the hiking and biking trails, and the lakes are beautiful. I'm not really into the night-life. I'd prefer to be a little closer to the beach, so that's the only down-side I see right now.

I also spent some time in the Port Charlotte area, and I like the location, but the real estate market there makes me nervous. There are so many house for sale. Some of the neighborhoods seem like ghost towns. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm a little leery about it. Maybe I was in the wrong area.

And as for my pool commment - I'm not really looking for a house with a pool. Although in theory it seems like a good idea, in reality I think it would be too much work and expense than I am willing to commit to.

The part time job thing would work for me, but the one thing everyone seems to be clear on is that the job situation in Florida is awful right now. So I don't want to count on that.

Where do you live?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
I live in Homestead. There are probably lots of part time service jobs, but these usually don't pay very well. Volunteering at a local non-profit organization, hospital, zoo, etc. is a great way to meet people.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:22 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
I will head south when I retire and probably do it alone given my husband is 12 years older than me. I'm going for the warm weather.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,562 times
Default New to the Thread

I can't thank you enough for the wonderful thread that I happened onto today! I love it! I would like to join the group, but an afraid that I don't meet the height requirement...I'm 5'10".

I have ben looking for a sense of community in the place that I retire to as well as it seems the rest of you are. The early discussions in Spring 2006 were really exciting. My vision is a community, but not cohabitation, with independent women not ashamed to be alone.

I love the idea of a business where we could earn money, an area where we might be able to grow vegetables, and a community center for, well, everything else.

I am 57, divorced, thankfully, one grown child, one young grandchild, and a relatively new home in Kansas. I know, tornados and all, but, the house is 10 years old, 2500 sq ft, 4 bedroom, 3 bath, open floor plan on a lake for $146k.

I quilt, knit, read mysteries, garden, old movies, and make chocolates. Actully owned a small chocolate company that had possibiities, but couldn't stand living in southern California anymore.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:53 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp23 View Post
I can't thank you enough for the wonderful thread that I happened onto today! I love it! I would like to join the group, but an afraid that I don't meet the height requirement...I'm 5'10".

I have ben looking for a sense of community in the place that I retire to as well as it seems the rest of you are. The early discussions in Spring 2006 were really exciting. My vision is a community, but not cohabitation, with independent women not ashamed to be alone.

I love the idea of a business where we could earn money, an area where we might be able to grow vegetables, and a community center for, well, everything else.

I am 57, divorced, thankfully, one grown child, one young grandchild, and a relatively new home in Kansas. I know, tornados and all, but, the house is 10 years old, 2500 sq ft, 4 bedroom, 3 bath, open floor plan on a lake for $146k.

I quilt, knit, read mysteries, garden, old movies, and make chocolates. Actully owned a small chocolate company that had possibiities, but couldn't stand living in southern California anymore.
CP23 - Welcome!! Just don't laugh at the rest of us vertically challenged people. and watch your step!!
I came in at the end of the exciting stuff as well so I'm not sure what the status is. Some of the group may be meeting now - a couple have moved to NM (anomoly & Dancingearth) and Wisteria sounded like she was sure to follow. What area intersted you (NM, the Carolinas, FL,CA, etc...)? I have never minded being alone and I'm sure not ashamed to be - although I realize friends, family, neighbors wonder. I was married for almost 10 years and am glad to say we are still very cordial to each other. But - welcome again!!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:26 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
CP23 - Welcome!! Just don't laugh at the rest of us vertically challenged people. and watch your step!!
I came in at the end of the exciting stuff as well so I'm not sure what the status is. Some of the group may be meeting now - a couple have moved to NM (anomoly & Dancingearth) and Wisteria sounded like she was sure to follow. What area intersted you (NM, the Carolinas, FL,CA, etc...)? I have never minded being alone and I'm sure not ashamed to be - although I realize friends, family, neighbors wonder. I was married for almost 10 years and am glad to say we are still very cordial to each other. But - welcome again!!
Join in the fun. You are not the only "giantess" here - I'm 5'7" but I have several nieces that tower to 6'. We seem to be spread all over the country in this thread. I've still got another year+ to go before I gain my freedom, assuming the whole world doesn't implode in the mean time. I think we need to develop these communities in different places because we don't all want to live in the same places. But there are a lot of single boomers in this world. We ought to be able to find each other wherever we end up.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Can you believe that this thread is almost one whole year old ? Well, it is ( on September 30th ) & I think that we should have some kind of celebration. We have together kept a very fascinating thread (thank you, wisteria ) alive . Here's hoping for another year of insightful and funny posts . I hope for a peaceful and joyous year for all of you who have contributed to this thread..... too many to mention . Let's keep this going if we can . We women retiring alone ....all of us strong and brave (well, we try anyway ) .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Yes, let's keep it going - even to get updates from those that have moved and how it's going. I would really love meeting somewhere (next spring, summer) so I could meet all of you. I'm still looking at CO or NM - after this most recent market crash, I wondering what I will have to work with. Shell-shocked is a definite state of mind . Wisteria? Anomoly? Are you still out there? Whatever you're up to - stay out of trouble!!!!! But have lots of fun!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.