Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 03:48 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times

Advertisements

Colorado: come to think of it, I used to like Golden, too, although I haven't been there recently. I imagine that has grown a lot, too.

Tesaje, I know what you mean about the Evangelical influence -- that is something that disturbs me about the area. I did contact some alternative groups there, and they all basically said, "We just don't let the fundies bother us." That's why I mentioned only Old Colorado City -- that's the only part of town I would consider living in.

I'd reconsider Boulder....if I went in on a home with someone else. I could afford a condo there, but I don't really like condo living. It has become a lot more yuppified, though, and it's too bad to see the old independent stores are now big-name chains. I also noticed there were some rock slides in the Flatirons, and many of the old paths I used to hike are now closed -- that was a surprise to me. But all in all, it's still a beautiful place.

I agree about the pollution. I lived in Denver for six months and it was awful! I could hardly breathe! The sky turned reddish during those inversions. Yuck! And it's also too far from the mountains for me.

In spite of the negatives, it's still a beautiful state. I also liked New Mexico a lot -- more than I had years ago. The Santa Fe area ("Hi" Dancingearth!) is also beautiful, although I'd guess that both Boulder and Santa Fe are pretty comparable in price.

Quote:

ConeyIsBabe
: Have you considered Oregon ?

If y'all don't mind six months of cold winters with almost a daily piddle rain...... occasional snow that melts off in a day or two...... you might consider the Rogue Valley Oregon. I moved to the Grants Pass area 5 years ago because of its very low stress lifestyle / lots of retirees / very friendly people / economically affordable / beautiful summers, spring and fall.
Does Grants Pass get less rain than Portland or Eugene?? Having lived in Seattle for years, I know I don't tolerate rain and clouds on a consistent basis. I really thought that coming from Buffalo that I would do okay in that environment -- unfortunately, I discovered that I preferred a little snow over the endless cloudy days and constant drizzle.

I get my towns mixed up in southern Oregon -- which is the one that has a lot of industry: Medford or Grants Pass?? I remember one of them had a lot of industry, only I may have them mixed up now....

There was a place I went through in northern California that I really liked, although it's small: Wolf Creek. I noticed they even have some co-housing developments starting there -- here's the link -- although I have not read it -- I have a feeling that it's already too expensive for me. Wolf Creek Commons cohousing in Grass Valley - Home Page
But it may work for some of you! We have to just keep putting information out there!!

It's interesting to hear all the opinions for many sides -- it gives more information to work with, but still makes it hard to choose!

Old 10-12-2008, 04:06 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Wisteria...... Grants Pass gets 39 inches of annual rainfall (more or less) and I think it's Medford you are thinking of as being somewhat industrial. That's 20 miles from me, the home of Harry & David mail-order produce; another 11 miles south is Ashland - my favorite town - home of the Shakespaere theatre productions - more upscale - more pricey - better restaurants - expensive boutique shops - a nice town to visit for a day

Old 10-12-2008, 04:23 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Ashland, Oregon. I have a close friend who travels all the way out to Ashland from Long Island every year to the Shakespeare Festival. Apparently, there are a whole group of other people who do the same thing from all over the world .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-12-2008, 06:51 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Ashland, Oregon. I have a close friend who travels all the way out to Ashland from Long Island every year to the Shakespeare Festival. Apparently, there are a whole group of other people who do the same thing from all over the world .
When I was in High School in Redding, it was the thing to do - go up to Ashland for the Shakespeare Festival. Ashland is a pretty little town nestled in some mountains near the CA border. House prices are high there. Looked to be higher than in Portland.

Ashland-Grants Pass-Medford area is pretty, and gets less cloudy than further north. Its summers are hotter too. It is sort of in between the N. CA valley climate and the cooler, cloudier northern Willamette valley.

An interesting little geology thing is that the very northern tip of the Sierra Nevada is just west of the area. There's a gap in the range from just south of Mt. Lassen in CA, then it picks up again in Klamath up to the Rogue River in OR.

It is fairly remote from a large city tho. Medford is the largest town in the area. My brother lives an hour or so from there but when he needed serious medical help, he went to Portland, not Medford.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:29 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Thanks, Tesaje. That's right -- Redding. I was thinking that was it, but wasn't sure.

Some people can handle Seattle, but I couldn't -- not long-term. It IS a beautiful city, though, and I often wished it were located just a little south or north of where it is, so there wasn't that constant cloud cover.

I am open, though, to all options at this point. I, too, am looking for all those variables you listed: walkable, affordable, hiking, healthy food options, etc. I know it has to be out there!

Although I crossed Boulder off my list, maybe I should put it back on....I don't know. It's so confusing. MN2CO is thinking about Colorado Springs -- it's a pretty area, and has Garden of the Gods there. There's snow, but it melts fast. If MN2CO and others went there, I'd put it back on my list, too.

It's so confusing.
Wisteria - I have replied to this message twice - in mid sentence my screen blinked and the message disappeared (no I wasn't saying anything nasty). So - I can't retype it all again tonight (it was long) but I want to say - I do still want to go to CO and I would love it if you and anyone else that's interested would come too.

Plantlover - you seem interested - come and join us. If I move before any of the rest of you do, you are welcome to come for a visit - look around and see for yourself.

I will probably rent initially, given our strange world that we are living in, and because I will be looking for that boarding house?????????????? Perhaps 2 or 3 houses next to each other?

Everybody needs support AND someone to do things with - right!! CO would keep you busy and entertained for years!! I seem to remember that you don't like to drive - I'm an excellent driver - haven't had an accident since I was 19!!!! Both Colo Springs & Manitou Springs are great and don't worry about the religious stuff - go to the CO forum - there's a hugh thread that addresses "the fundies" and you'll find most people are not impacted by them. So more later........

Old 10-12-2008, 07:48 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,960 times
It seems logical to me that no amount of online research can take the place of actually going to visit an area, not only one time, but during all seasons - if possible; and then to RENT a dwelling for at least a year before purchasing! Well, that's what I did when relocating to Grants Pass.

Only thing is..... priorities change and now I'm not that much in love with the cold winters. And then the economy pulled a fast one on me and my property value took a DUMP ! Anyway, clothing is very, very cheap here and I'm stocking up on polartec long-johns

Old 10-12-2008, 10:20 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Welcome to our friendly group, Emilybh!! I'm glad you found us!

Well, as many have followed in these threads, the main question is: Are you short, or tall??? Hahahahaha A running joke, as you will see! Many of us have to carry stools around to reach our cupboards! We'll have to divy up the groups so that we have short and tall together so that the tall women can reach the higher cupboards, and the short ones more easily bend to get things down low!!

What made you choose South Carolina -- had you been there a lot before? I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of the south. I am sure there are tolerant, accepting people there, however, it seems like if you're a Yankee by birth, then you're kind of marked. I can fit into the west, but the south gave me a hard time, and I hear it has changed somewhat, although people I work with who are from the south, originally, tell me it's still the same in many ways.... it seems kind of scary to me -- I don't want to be ostracized just because of where I was born. I know it sounds so archaic, but it is how I feel. I'm also not into the bugs and humidity -- I had enough of that back east.

However....I do love the idea of going in with some women on a bigger house, starting a venture, being a built-in support group, and all of that!

Originally, I didn't feel that way. I thought just my little place of my own would be fine -- and I'm sure it would still work. But...now that I am 60, I already see changes in myself, and as much as I have an independent spirit, I am not so sure it is wise to do everything alone anymore. I also thought that owning something with someone else might not be too appealing, however, once I die, it won't make any difference in the long-run. If I were tenants in common with 2-5 other people, it would still go to my daughter, eventually. The upside would be that there would be a built-in network of women with similar values, ideas, and a sense of adventure.

Emilybh, I don't know if you read through this long thread, but there are some pretty cool women on this board!! Seriously! I just wish we all lived near each other now!

Let's keep this going. I hope that Anomoly will check in -- she should be back in the Portland area by now.

Thanks!! Have a good day, folks!
Hi Wisteria,

Actually, there are probably more or at least just as many northern transplants here in Charleston as native southerners. There's been a huge influx over the past few decades. The southern cities I've lived in (New Orleans and now Charleston) are not big Redneck areas as many from other parts of the country may think. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

I chose it because it seemed like it had the best of all three places I'd lived before. Walkability, quaintness, history and charm -- and sailing like Newport, RI. Architecture and restaurants, palm trees, lots of music and warm weather like New Orleans (but not as hot or humid or buggy as New Orleans) and big city amenities and culture like Boston. Better yet, it has nicer beaches than any of the places I've lived. I've even been swimming and saw a dolphin swim by me this spring I'm also closer to a Whole Foods and upscale grocers than I've ever been. Also, last but not least, this state is MUCH more advanced when it comes to health insurance regulations and therefore the availability and affordability of the insurance is FAR FAR better than the northeast.

The one thing it lacks is a better openess towards alternative medicine. I'm a huge fan of natural medicine for chronic and degeneratative diseases especially. However, my great Naturopath in the Providence/Boston area, (who regularly gets people well enough so they can stop taking their meds and also has a long standing reputation for eliminating so called "incurable" diseases), takes phone appts so I can live anywhere and still get fantastic noninvasive affordable effective care for anything that might crop up.

I'm 5'9" tall to answer your question about my height. I'd be happy to reach the top shelves for those of you who can't reach.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Colorado: come to think of it, I used to like Golden, too, ...

I'd reconsider Boulder....if I went in on a home with someone else. I could afford a condo there, but I don't really like condo living. ...
I agree about the pollution. ...

Wolf Creek. I noticed they even have some co-housing developments starting there --
I did Colorado for the first 25 yrs (between Loveland and Estes Park). Loveland (15 min south of Ft Collins) is very nice, walkable, and relatively affordable and the growing season is pretty good as it is in a 'storm shadow'. Occasional 60 and 70 degree days in Feb are nice, as are warm Chinook winds. I rode my bike to work everyday but 3 the last year I lived there, and gardening and flowers were great! (I don't like the pollution (or urban sprawl) on the front range, but the weather, mountains, friendly people, and Rocky Mountain National Park are very superb)
Here is a good reason to go visit (or at least check this spot out when there) Loveland High Plains Arts Council - Sculpture in the Park

Boulder is pretty expensive, but...speaking of cohousing...Directory | The Cohousing Association of the United States Lyons might be the place to check out (near Boulder)

also for Tesaje, Portland has a few nice co-housing places, this one looks good
Columbia Ecovillage

Wish you all the best... this housing thing is gonna be a challenge, (I painted mine this weekend, still hoping to sell 'Casa Grande' (a 'view' house in the Columbia Gorge National Scenic area!) I will miss my view, as I look DOWN on the Vista House from across the river.
Crown Point (Oregon) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (It is really pretty tonight all lit up, and with the full moon (In Portland area!!! (rare that you can see such terrestrial things))

Additional challenge is our newly devalued 401k's. More the reason to keep this dialog and the neat ideas alive. I think we will seeing A LOT more sharing of abode / gardens / resources / cars / bicycles... time will tell, but I am planning for a 'net worth adjustment' (Lower house and equity values, less savings and higher expenses)

Keep the ideas flowing (and the optimism)

Old 10-13-2008, 07:16 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
I did Colorado for the first 25 yrs (between Loveland and Estes Park). Loveland (15 min south of Ft Collins) is very nice, walkable, and relatively affordable and the growing season is pretty good as it is in a 'storm shadow'. Occasional 60 and 70 degree days in Feb are nice, as are warm Chinook winds. I rode my bike to work everyday but 3 the last year I lived there, and gardening and flowers were great! (I don't like the pollution (or urban sprawl) on the front range, but the weather, mountains, friendly people, and Rocky Mountain National Park are very superb)
Here is a good reason to go visit (or at least check this spot out when there) Loveland High Plains Arts Council - Sculpture in the Park

Boulder is pretty expensive, but...speaking of cohousing...Directory | The Cohousing Association of the United States Lyons might be the place to check out (near Boulder)

also for Tesaje, Portland has a few nice co-housing places, this one looks good
Columbia Ecovillage

Wish you all the best... this housing thing is gonna be a challenge, (I painted mine this weekend, still hoping to sell 'Casa Grande' (a 'view' house in the Columbia Gorge National Scenic area!) I will miss my view, as I look DOWN on the Vista House from across the river.
Crown Point (Oregon) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (It is really pretty tonight all lit up, and with the full moon (In Portland area!!! (rare that you can see such terrestrial things))

Additional challenge is our newly devalued 401k's. More the reason to keep this dialog and the neat ideas alive. I think we will seeing A LOT more sharing of abode / gardens / resources / cars / bicycles... time will tell, but I am planning for a 'net worth adjustment' (Lower house and equity values, less savings and higher expenses)

Keep the ideas flowing (and the optimism)
I was a little kid in Berthoud, just south of Loveland. Another nice thing about Loveland is Rocky Mtn Natl Park is just up the Big Thompson Canyon. I got really shocked at how dense the area is now and how all the land from Loveland to north of Ft Collins is solid development and horrible traffic. Loveland could be a possibility for CO.

The thing about CO weather is it is highly variable and fairly harsh. Some people from other places are dismayed at the wide swings and dry landscape. Some love that but others really don't. You just need to be aware of it.

I took a peek at my remaining S&P500 fund and was shocked at how little of it is left. Grim Good luck with your house sale endeavor. It doens't seem like a good time for that.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:28 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times
Okay, so it seems I have narrowed it down to California, New Mexico and Colorado.....or so it seems, until I find something else!

I was talking to a friend today who is also now considering Chico -- mind you, just "considering," so it's nothing firm. Maybe she will come out in the Spring to check it out. Because we were talking about it, I went into Youtube and found this link for Seniors. I found it interesting, because although I knew there was a pretty large population of retired people there, I was unaware of how large the "learning community" is for seniors:

YouTube - Osher Lifelong Learning Institute @ Chico State

I realize that we're all talking about weather and what we want, etc. I want warmth, sun, and I don't care if there's a little snow or rain. I think it is important to remember the places in which we have lived and how long we have lived there, because I think that is what impacts our opinions about what kind of weather is "good" for us. We will all vary widely in this.

For me, I guess it's "fortunate" that I was raised in Buffalo, New York, because what other people consider harsh weather would not be harsh by my standards. I honestly thought (I really did -- now I feel silly that I thought this) that all winters everywhere were the same. I really believed that winter was always six months long, and that every place that had snow had snow that was wet, heavy and never melted during that time. I also thought all places had at least ten feet of snow standing at any one time, and often much more! So, when I moved west, it was a total shock to me to not only see snow that was light and looked like Tide to me, but that it also melted within a week! I had never experienced that.

And humidity....oh, that is another subject -- but I'll happily skip the details! I had also never lived in a place with low humidity and few bugs. In fact, I had never experienced a place with no fleas! My cats were so happy, I am sure, when they didn't get fleas! It is so nice not to sweat throughout the summer!

It was when I lived in Boulder that I realized the dramatic differences. When I first moved into my little cottage there, just one block from the Pearl Street mall, I was outside putting up plastic on my windows in October. My neighbors came over and asked why I was doing that. I said, "I'm from Buffalo -- I know how to prepare for winter! These are the Rocky Mountains!" So, I got my dried goods in, my water, batteries, etc., and waited, and waited, and waited. In February, it was 70 degrees out, no snow on the ground, sun beaming down, and I felt like I lived in a sauna. I went outside and began ripping down the plastic! My neighbors just laughed, and said, "We tried to tell you...." That was a big lesson to me!

Now, when I moved here, to the Santa Cruz area, I remember one day someone told me, "Oh, it's windy out." I was like, "I don't feel any wind. The leaves are hardly moving. There's a slight breeze...." Well, it was what they considered wind here! Every once in a while there is a gust of "wind," but nothing like back east. And thunderstorms -- yes, they do start fires around here, but they are also rare. I haven't seen more than a few thunderstorms since living in California or Seattle. And even then it's only been one lightning bolt or crack of thunder. Nothing like where I grew up and my mother and I would huddle on the basement steps, feeling the house rattle with the thunder, and the house lighting up from the bolts of lightning!

Of course, in Colorado they are more frequent. When I lived there -- I know this sounds morbid, but it's true (just bear with me -- another life lesson for me!) -- I worked in the School of Journalism at the University of Colorado/Boulder, and I used to sort through the periodicals and collect stories of all the people killed by lightning strikes! And there were a lot! It was common practice to hike earlier in the day, because by 4 p.m., the clouds and storms would roll in for about an hour, and you didn't want to be caught in them. With the elevation so high, and all the rocks as conductors of electricity, there were many tragedies. My friends, I'm sure, would cringe when I'd meet them after work for nachos, and have still another clipping of someone who was hiking and killed by lightning, or sitting on their porch and lightning hit the fence, richocheted off it and killed them!

So, each place is different, and it also depends on what comparison you're using. For me, I know that I can't handle wet most of the time. The PNW is beautiful, but it is soooo damp and dark and drizzly. Some people seem to enjoy that cool, wet moisture, but I don't -- it depresses me.

Phoenix was too hot for me. Arizona is one of the most beautiful states I have ever gone through or lived in. Just beautiful. Yet, that heat was too much for me, even with the low humidity. I can handle 100 degrees in low humidity, but 115 is too much.

If you have not lived in an area with a much different climate than you live in now or have never lived in, then I'd also strongly advise renting first. For me, when I moved to Colorado, I was shocked it was so "warm" in comparison to what I expected. There were a few weeks in winter when it was cold, but, generally, it warmed up a lot during the day - something that didn't happen in Buffalo. And the snow melted -- truly was almost miraculous to me, as I had never witnessed that before.

Anyway, I'm just putting out some thoughts there. I've noticed (all over the forum) many people wanting to move to Oregon or Washington, but have never lived for years there. If you are prone to SAD, don't do it! If you don't know, don't buy then, so you can get out if you need to. Or, you just might be a water baby who adores it.

For me, any of the three states have weather I can tolerate: California, New Mexico and Colorado. I'd prefer California only to be closer to my daughter, but it may not pan out. Next would be a toss up between Las Cruces and Manitou Springs. They actually have a nice Senior Center in Colorado Springs. I went and toured it last summer. Most of the people there seemed to be in their 80s, though. Because I teach art, and I love pottery, I wanted to check out their pottery center. It was really nice. My daughter had to laugh after we got out of there though -- she said, "Mom, you were the only person not using a walker!" I don't know if they ever had younger seniors go, but I have to admit, it was an older crowd....

So, that's today's update. I'm off to do errands (I have off today), and get some laundry done, etc. Hope you ladies are faring well!! This is turning into a specifically informative thread! Very good! I am so proud of this group!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement