Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
The IRS is looking into the Villages reserves. They are apparently underfunded
and not labelled correctly. Can't think of the right word.
Interesting - if the iRS is involved, could there be a possible fine etc... making them even more underfunded which could make all fees go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,671,525 times
I believe The Villages and the IRS have had discussions about various things as no one has ever gone down "as far down this road" before. It is new territory for all.

Also there was an IRS issue concerning a Sun City development and the outside revenue (not from owners) it received. Again, all new territory.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 05-30-2013 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 02:49 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
The IRS is looking into the Villages reserves. They are apparently underfunded
and not labelled correctly. Can't think of the right word.
Apparently - the issue isn't the reserves - but the tax-exempt status of the CDD bonds:

IRS Villages: IRS preliminary ruling — Villages government not legitimate under tax codes - Orlando Sentinel

An issue like this would generally affect the bondholders - not the homeowners. But I don't know (since I haven't read the bond documents).

FWIW - the guy behind The Villages is a well known conservative. And the IRS has had its issues with conservatives lately. So.....

OTOH - this is just another reason to avoid CDDs (something that I would advise people to do). Robyn

Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,799 times
Spent a week there last May. Rented a 3 bedroom two bath house for $650. Came with a four seat golf cart that we drove everywhere. Spent two days looking at real estate with one of the agents. He was a great guy, very helpful and no pressure at all. Went out for dinner five out of six nights. Food was great and the price never exceeded $60 for three adults at the best restuarants. Played golf at the Palmer and Lopez courses for less than $35 with a cart. Unlimited activity, shopping, entertainment, bars, restuarants. They have intertainment in the village square every night of the week. Weather in May was beautiful. Can't say the same for June - August. If you are interested in retiring in a place with unlimited activity,shopping and being around old people having a lot of fun, this is the place. If you don't enjoy people and activity it's not your place. Probably wouldn't move there unless retired. Cost of living is very affordable considering all the ammities. Political note, voted 63% republican in the last two presidential elections. Had a great time and considering a move in the next year or two. By the way, I'm an old fart but in good physical shape, active, enjoy golf, bars and restaurants so the place would fit my live style. I play golf 4 days a week and walk about 30 miles a week. I'll be 75 this
Sept. If you take them up on the visit package it's a good deal. Give it a try.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
I was there in May, too. Weather was nice for the pool. If you want children
a lot of them visit their grandparents. Maybe we waved as we passed in the
golf carts!

Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,255 times
Default Lovin The Villages

I hate to tell yall all the great stuff about The Villages. It's already crowded.
Any negative thing you read is wrong.
if you want to "relax" your life away, don't go to The Villages. Period

Old 06-23-2013, 08:03 PM

428 posts, read 1,083,343 times
Visited friends that were renting in Jan. 2012.
We did the LSV in Feb 2012 and purchased a lot to build our 3,200sf home with 3 car garage (1,200sf), pool, summer kitchen etc.
Who knew you could build a house like this here; we didn't before visiting.
You cannot explain TV. There truly is no pressure as they sell 4-5,000 homes annually!
We just celebrated our first year here AND sold our house in Baldwin Park after renting it for a year.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
Visited friends that were renting in Jan. 2012.
We did the LSV in Feb 2012 and purchased a lot to build our 3,200sf home with 3 car garage (1,200sf), pool, summer kitchen etc.
Who knew you could build a house like this here; we didn't before visiting.
You cannot explain TV. There truly is no pressure as they sell 4-5,000 homes annually!
We just celebrated our first year here AND sold our house in Baldwin Park after renting it for a year.
When we were there on the LSV package we met many people
who were looking to purchase a home.
Selling unbelievably fast. I would buy a trailer tear it out and
build a stick built home. Less fees, too.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
When we were there on the LSV package we met many people
who were looking to purchase a home.
Selling unbelievably fast. I would buy a trailer tear it out and
build a stick built home. Less fees, too.
You don't want to build a house in an area that allows trailers unless it's "gentrifying" or you don't care about property values.

And why would you want a "stick house" in Florida (as opposed to a CBS house?). Robyn

Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman38 View Post
Spent a week there last May. Rented a 3 bedroom two bath house for $650. Came with a four seat golf cart that we drove everywhere. Spent two days looking at real estate with one of the agents. He was a great guy, very helpful and no pressure at all. Went out for dinner five out of six nights. Food was great and the price never exceeded $60 for three adults at the best restuarants. Played golf at the Palmer and Lopez courses for less than $35 with a cart. Unlimited activity, shopping, entertainment, bars, restuarants. They have intertainment in the village square every night of the week. Weather in May was beautiful. Can't say the same for June - August. If you are interested in retiring in a place with unlimited activity,shopping and being around old people having a lot of fun, this is the place. If you don't enjoy people and activity it's not your place. Probably wouldn't move there unless retired. Cost of living is very affordable considering all the ammities. Political note, voted 63% republican in the last two presidential elections. Had a great time and considering a move in the next year or two. By the way, I'm an old fart but in good physical shape, active, enjoy golf, bars and restaurants so the place would fit my live style. I play golf 4 days a week and walk about 30 miles a week. I'll be 75 this
Sept. If you take them up on the visit package it's a good deal. Give it a try.
Actually - our May this year in north Florida was unseasonably cool (and pleasant). Hot weather usually runs from mid-May to middle-end of September everywhere in Florida (I've lived in both north and south Florida for 40+ years).

When looking at The Villages - there are several things to keep in mind. The first is that in all newer retirement communities (both in Florida and elsewhere) - everyone starts out relatively young and active. But - as those people who can age in place - the community just gets older and older and older. One day you're surrounded by 65 year olds - the next by 80 year olds (of whom you're one). This has various effects on different communities. Golf communities tend to suffer the most in terms of deterioration of amenities as fewer and fewer people play golf (course maintenance suffers - and quite a few golf courses wind up failing).

Also - as you have this "aging in place" - the community becomes unattractive for younger retireees. Few 65 year olds want to move into a place where the average age is 75+. Nor do they want their "retirement house" to be a house that's 15+ years old - especially if it hasn't been well maintained (and people tend to let maintenance slide as they get really old). So the communities go into kind of a death spiral. Some "reinvent" themselves. It is far from unusual to see older retirement communities changing from retirement communities into low end non-retirement communities. But that's assuming the retirement community is in a place where non-retired people want to live.

Which gets to another issue with The Villages. It's really in the middle of nowhere. Might not seem like a problem if you're 65 and healthy and don't mind being in the middle of nowhere. But it becomes an issue if/when someone develops any kind of health issues. The nearest really good medical care is pretty far away (like Shands Gainesville - 60 miles - Mayo Clinic JAX - 130 miles - etc.). These distances may not seem like much if you have an occasional problem at age 65 and are fond of driving - but they're a real PITA if you're 75 - are not fond of driving - and/or have something other than an occasional problem.

I think my point is that if someone is moving to a retirement place at age X - he/she has to take into account what things will or might reasonably be like 10-15 years from now - not only today.

FWIW - my parents and inlaws both retired to areas that they liked - but not retirement communities. My husband and I did the same. And I think our decisions worked out well. There are people in my parents' generation - their friends - who moved into "retirement communities" - and things didn't work out so well. Note that I'm 65 - and my husband is 68. My father - 95 - lives in an independent senior living facility (rental) near us. Average age since he moved there 6 years ago - after my mother died and he sold his house - has gone from about 78 to 84 (not that he cares at age 95 ). My father had one neighbor who moved to The Villages with his wife about 4 years ago or so. And - when she had a minor stroke a year or two later - they had to move back to JAX for medical/rehab care - and found it almost impossible to sell their place in The Villages for a reasonable amount (i.e., as much or more than they paid for it). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement