Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:03 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
A "regular" town with 100,00 residents would have homes built by more than one developer
I guess that's important to some people, but it seems like an odd thing to care about to me. I've lived in both types of communities, and my quality of life was not affected by whether or not the town I lived in was built by one developer or 15 developers.

The town I live in now was all built by the same developer (well, actually it was 2-3 developers but it was all built at the same time, so same difference). And you know what--my life here is exactly the same as my life was when I live in a town which sort of grew here and there over many decades. I shop at the same stores, I work out in similar gyms, I walk to parks that are about the same, etc. etc. etc. There are many things I look for when looking for a place to live, but the number of developers involved in a community is just not an issue that's mattered to me at all.

But that's just me--if living in a town that has had numerous developers is something that matters to you, then The Villages may not be the right place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Why not? It's not any different from living in any other town with 100,000 residents. And you get more amenities than you would with the typical town of that size.
Unlike ordinary cities (I can't call a place with a 100k people a town) of that size the place is middle class and above; there are no housing projects, bad neighborhoods, or bums.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:17 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
Our new next door neighbors just moved from Ponte Vedra. If its been a while you should visit.
Why - I've very happy here in Ponte Vedra Beach - and have no intention of moving. In fact - I'm in the middle of a big re-decorating project now. It was time! And next place we'll be taking a vacation is Tokyo - not The Villages . Robyn

Old 06-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I guess that's important to some people, but it seems like an odd thing to care about to me. I've lived in both types of communities, and my quality of life was not affected by whether or not the town I lived in was built by one developer or 15 developers.

The town I live in now was all built by the same developer (well, actually it was 2-3 developers but it was all built at the same time, so same difference). And you know what--my life here is exactly the same as my life was when I live in a town which sort of grew here and there over many decades. I shop at the same stores, I work out in similar gyms, I walk to parks that are about the same, etc. etc. etc. There are many things I look for when looking for a place to live, but the number of developers involved in a community is just not an issue that's mattered to me at all.

But that's just me--if living in a town that has had numerous developers is something that matters to you, then The Villages may not be the right place for you.
I think there's a difference between a place developed by a single builder (like some Arvida/Lennar/Toll Brothers/etc. places). And a place where the developer is simply selling dirt and other people are building. In the latter case - many communities here in Florida used to maintain lists of "preferred builders" - they were the only builders you could use. A while back - a court ruled that if a developer restricted which builders you could use - the developer was responsible if the builder was lousy. So lists of "preferred builders" disappeared in most places.

We rejected communities that had lists of preferred builders when we built - because almost no one here knew how to build a block house 15 years ago (it's pretty much the norm in south Florida - but not north Florida). Robyn

Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Unlike ordinary cities (I can't call a place with a 100k people a town) of that size the place is middle class and above; there are no housing projects, bad neighborhoods, or bums.
Or people from Wyoming either . It's a pretty homogeneous place in many many ways. FWIW - I like living in a normal age demographics place. Robyn

Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Or people from Wyoming either . It's a pretty homogeneous place in many many ways. FWIW - I like living in a normal age demographics place. Robyn
BH agrees with you. He doesn't want to look at old wrinkled people
all day. However they are for the most part nicer.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
BH agrees with you. He doesn't want to look at old wrinkled people
all day. However they are for the most part nicer.
Nicer? Or do younger people just tend to be busier living day to day? Robyn

Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Nicer? Or do younger people just tend to be busier living day to day? Robyn
That's a very good point. Probably more noticeable in the Villages because
most everyone is older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement