Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times

Advertisements

Not everyone will agree but IMO anyone who's considering retiring to the Villages should read Andrew Blechman's book "Leisureville".
Just saying.
It's a good, i.e. highly entertaining, read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Well I'm off to try this package! We'll see, but at least I'll be able to swim etc.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Looking forward to your review. Also would love to see some photos, if you take any.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 AM

413 posts, read 701,606 times
I recently helped my cousin move, not to the Villages, but to another (Top of the World Communities) adult community quite close by in Ocala. She bought a nice, large, 2BRM condo for about 40K and will probably spend about 20K updating it to her tastes. She's my age (63) and also on her own. I think she'll be happy there, there seemed to be a lot of other people around in similar circumstances who are friendly and look out for each other. We visited the Villages while we were there. It seemed like Disneyland for the oldsters, a very well-manicured stage-set with lots of activities and things to do. We looked at classic cars in a car show around the town square, had dinner at a Greek restaurant, then watched the old folks bogie down around a live band in the gazebo.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Not everyone will agree but IMO anyone who's considering retiring to the Villages should read Andrew Blechman's book "Leisureville".
Just saying.
It's a good, i.e. highly entertaining, read.
Stumbled upon that book by accident a few months ago at the library. Very interesting book, I agree! What went on at the bars in the Villages was shocking.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,147 times
It is reported The Villages has a very high rate of STD's.

Surprised me too.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post

Surprised me too.
Still true? That was reported years ago. I would be curious about now. We did a brief one day visit to the Villages last January, just took their tour, not enough time to do more. My opinion is still out there. I feel like it's a choice to "drink the kool aide" or not. Still, I wouldn't mind renting there for a month or so to really see what it's like, and probably will do their stay package at some point. I just don't see Florida as a year round place.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post

Surprised me too.
I read the book as well. The author who was angry that his neighbors left Massachusetts and no longer worked on issues in his community and who intensely dislikes the owners of the Villages because they're Republicans was disingenuous. There is a high rate of STD in the county where The Villages is located but that county has a large population of the underclass. Residents of The Villages have no need to interact with those people.

As far as the decauched lives of the small circle he describes this may or may not be true. But even if it is true it represents the tiniest minority of residents. There are unpleasant and disgusting people everywhere.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:06 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There is a high rate of STD in the county where The Villages is located but that county has a large population of the underclass. Residents of The Villages have no need to interact with those people.
That attitude wouldn't bother a lot of folks but it would sure bother me.

The book's author touches on this subject. According to him, Village residents dominate county elections and contribute to the county's problems by down voting issues that would increase their taxes but not specifically serve The Villages - including school and road improvements.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:52 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That attitude wouldn't bother a lot of folks but it would sure bother me.

The book's author touches on this subject. According to him, Village residents dominate county elections and contribute to the county's problems by down voting issues that would increase their taxes but not specifically serve The Villages - including school and road improvements.
Keep one thing in mind. Over 55 places were welcomed and deals cut by local governments as the over 55 meant they would not be putting children in the school system. Still paying their taxes as does anyone but not using the school services. Municipalities love them over 55 places as they generally contribute much, much more then they use in terms of tax dollars versus services required.

Also, give me a break. A bunch of 65ish and older year widows/widowers might be sleeping around but I am fairly sure it is sleeping, hugging, etc. with little "actual sexual" activity other then....well.....enough on that. I doubt few of those that live at The Villages would even report sexual issues to the local Board of Health where I expect the figures came from. No one in The Villages is tracking such. Those figures are coming from the rather rural, less educated, lower income areas around The Villages. As such, STD's, drug usage, crime, single parents, welfare, etc. figures will be higher in rural, uneducated, lower income areas. Let us count the Meth lab raids in that county. I doubt there were any inside The Villages.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 05-18-2013 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement