Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times

Advertisements

Not buying it.
It is really hard to get people to declare others incompetent and take away their rights.

This is 16 years of medical experience here. We have people who flat out CANNOT take care of themselves, but as long as they refuse (bc they are mentally with it), no one can send them *anywhere* against their will. It creates a real problem for their struggling families, but there's nothing we can do. So you understand why I'm not buying the story that kids are able to out of nowhere just snag everything and put their parents in homes. You can't do it WITH GOOD REASON. No reason would be a real non-starter.

There's something else going on here. Either these stories aren't true or there are missing important elements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 08:24 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
There is no way any of this could have happened without the elderly parents signing over their rights to their children and being declared incompetent; that's just hogwash.
No one is lying. These two instances really happened. I'll admit that there may have been more going on than what I or they were aware of, but those 'goings on' were unknown to the parents. They had no reason to lie to me, or me to you. I was not close to the children, only the parents, whom I had known as neighbors for many years. I know for certain there was NO signing over of rights, at least not before the move.

What was most distressing to these people was that they claim they were not consulted in advance, that they had no say in where they went, and no knowledge of it before they were just moved. In the first case of the 73-year-old man, why would he not accept a ride 'home' from his daughter? At the time, the hospital would not release you unless you had someone to pick you up, and he trusted his daughter.

Do not be so quick to jump onto the "hogwash" bandwagon, just because you see some posts that this is not possible. Many things are possible, and don't make much sense.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:30 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
You have doctors here telling you it can't be done.
But you keep believing it can be done.
Any chance your friends are a little demented and that's why they are sticking to their story?
Paranoia and not making sense of details can be present in someone who otherwise seems completely normal/competent.
Maybe they are embarrassed about choosing to go to a home and they are blaming their kids so it seems like they had no choice.
You never know.
What I do know is the law. And the law says this cannot be done.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:36 AM

708 posts, read 721,907 times
We have put both my Mom and my Wife's Mom in the home in the last 5 years. Both time they were tested and had to be referred by a Doctor. Lots of paper work to fill out before it finally happened. As other posters mentioned most important think to consider is giving someone the "Power of Attorney". Do not do that until you feel you can no longer feel you can handle your matters. Then consult an attorney that you trust and see what the best options would be. Perhaps you never want to give relative that telling you should give it to them! I have been a Power of Attorney for my Mom and it is lots of responsibility and not a duty to take lightly. Some people want it to take advantage for financial gain.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:39 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What I do know is the law. And the law says this cannot be done.
Agree but just because something is illegal doesn't mean it won't happen. I shouldn't happen the way the OP describes but if there are dishonest and unethical people involved, it could happen.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:43 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Some food for thought:

Protecting Mom & Dad's money -Consumer Reports Magazine

Financial Exploitation | Grantmakers in Aging

While neither article is exclusively about exploitation by someone's own children, both have references to it. It does happen. I think it's something that older persons should take seriously.

As for me, I'm not paranoid. I have 2 grown children, and 6 young grandchildren. I would never suspect my 2 kids of doing such a thing. But maybe I should re-think that(?).

Old 08-13-2015, 08:44 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,767,626 times
Especially the part about the kids selling the houses. The nursing homes would normally have their hooks in the properties to pay for care--- unless the parents had signed the houses over to their kids well prior to the five year look back period.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:49 AM

297 posts, read 573,793 times
These stories also don't make sense to me. Let me tell you about my experience with incompetent elderly parents.

I convinced my parents to move close to me due to (1) red flags – father getting lost driving to familiar places, mother's confusion over medical bill, and (2) my only sibling and I lived far away, and there was no family left near my parents who were willing to help them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I personally knew both of these couples, both before and after the move. They were all sharp, and in reasonably good health before the move.
That's exactly what friends and extended family said about my parents. They were wrong! In fact, I didn't even know how bad they were until they were here for about six months and I saw them every other day. Before they moved, they were very good at covering up their deficits during my weekend visits. They were certainly adept at covering up their deficits during brief visits with friends and extended family. In fact, I had a hard time convincing their doctors about their true condition. None of their many doctors believed me until they reached the point where they were "losing it" during their doctor visits.

Even then, one of my mother's doctors wouldn't get involved in declaring her incompetent when I was desperately trying to get them to move to a facility with services. This was her cardiologist. She had had a stent procedure and was there for a follow-up appointment. He came in the room, and she ripped off her top, exposing her breasts, and started yelling at him that he was responsible for her flabby arms. She acted like a lunatic. He refused to get involved.

I finally convinced them to move to an independent living facility where they would get three meals a day, housekeeping services, activities, and transportation to stores, doctor visits if I wasn't able to go, etc. There was no way that they would agree to assisted living, so at that time this was my only hope to get them into a safe place. They simply were not capable of living on their own any longer.

Here's the rub: They had to be interviewed by the facility before the facility accepted them. Now, my father had been having paranoid delusions and hallucinations, and I knew that they would never be accepted if that came to light. They both managed to hold it together for the interview and got accepted. Their primary care physicians were required to submit a form essentially saying that they were suitable for independent living.

Now, my experience with the question of having them legally declared incompetent:

My sister was on a mission to get one or both of them declared legally incompetent, not for financial reasons, simply because she is a control freak. Her first attempt was before they moved into the independent living facility. She flew down for a visit and made an appointment with the attorney who drew up their POAs, healthcare POAs, wills, etc. She wanted me to accompany her and pay half the cost of the consultation. I refused, because I knew exactly what the attorney was going to tell her: that it was a losing proposition since they had all of the documents in place for us to handle their affairs. And I was right.

However, there came a point in time when they really needed to be in assisted living. By this time they were having shared paranoid delusions and being disruptive in the independent living section of the facility. My father adamantly refused to consider moving into assisted living.

My sister came up with a scheme to force them into assisted living. She wanted me to arrange for a room in the assisted living section of the facility, and her plan was to take them out for a day trip, and have me get all of their furniture and belongings moved into the assisted living room, and then she would take them back to the facility and say, "This is where you live now."

I was absolutely opposed to that. I knew that it would be a disaster, and I was pretty ticked off at her for even thinking that this would be okay, because she would fly home and I would be left with the fallout.

However, we never even got close to doing that because the facility was opposed to it. No way were they going to deal with the fallout from this scheme.

But things got worse. Their shared paranoid delusions became worse, and my mother was having violent outbursts. My father was in complete denial. Something had to be done. I was at my wit's end. My sister then pushed to get my mother declared legally incompetent, and I was so desperate that I agreed to consult a different attorney about it.

We met with the attorney, who told us that even under the circumstances, there was no guarantee that we would prevail. And it certainly couldn't be done without my mother's knowledge. She would be appointed an attorney and would have to appear in court. I really appreciated that attorney's candor. She could have easily taken our money and started the proceedings, but instead she said, "So what happens if your mother or father, or both, are declared incompetent? That won't magically make them cooperative. You'll still have to deal with the underlying issues, and dragging your mother to court could make it worse."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Is it possible for a doctor to "test" a patient for competency, without telling the patient?
The only way a person can be tested for competency and not know it is if they really are incompetent. The doctor will perform a mini-mental state exam (MMSE) or, in some cases, a full MMSE, and a mood assessment. My mother flunked the mini-MMSE which was given to her at my request not long after she moved near me, yet the doctor wouldn't declare her incompetent. After her outburst at the cardiologist's office, I took her back to her primary care physician who administered a full MMSE, and my mother refused to cooperate halfway through because she was so frustrated. It was at that time that her primary care physician declared her incompetent. However, in my state, one doctor putting that in her medical record has no legal significance.

So I find it hard to believe that these types of things can be done behind the elders' backs and without their knowledge unless they really are incompetent and it is necessary.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:50 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Maybe a will stating that if children put a parent into a home without their consent they will get nothing and let the children know that is in the will might help this not happen. A talk with ones doctor. Tell him that as long as money is available you want private nurses at home. Do not give over any control to your resources until necessary. I have one child that thought she knew better than me when she was two years old.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:03 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,394,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not buying it.
It is really hard to get people to declare others incompetent and take away their rights.

This is 16 years of medical experience here. We have people who flat out CANNOT take care of themselves, but as long as they refuse (bc they are mentally with it), no one can send them *anywhere* against their will. It creates a real problem for their struggling families, but there's nothing we can do. So you understand why I'm not buying the story that kids are able to out of nowhere just snag everything and put their parents in homes. You can't do it WITH GOOD REASON. No reason would be a real non-starter.

There's something else going on here. Either these stories aren't true or there are missing important elements.
An extremely uphill battle. I've had patients with multiple moving violations/fender-benders, missed payments to utilities 'because they forgot', getting lost from home, paying the same bills multiple times because 'they forgot' --- I mean clearly in need of help and we couldn't even get their driver's licenses revoked, much less get them in a nursing home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement