Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:25 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
A few years ago in a very respected newspaper (can't remember which one but one of the big ones like Washington Post, NY Times, LA Times) about horror stories of conservatorships by what appeared to be random strangers who took over elderly assets and drained them dry so what these children mentioned by the OP could be doing is similar to the article. So while some say this can't happen, I was astounded to read what "professional conservators" can do to elderly people not related to them, so it's quite possible kids can even easier do the same thing to their parents.
Sure. I buy that.
But that has to be set up.
It can't be "out of nowhere."
Unless we're talking about identity theft.

If there was a crime involved in the op's story, why hasn't anyone been prosecuted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 10:41 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Maybe a will stating that if children put a parent into a home without their consent they will get nothing and let the children know that is in the will might help this not happen.
That wouldn't influence me in the slightest. If my parents ever need care that can only be provided in a nursing home setting, they are going to get it - and if they are mentally incompetent, they will get it whether or not they object. If that means forfeiting an inheritance, so be it. Their well being is more important than mere money.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:43 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,450,396 times
Worst enemies situation can only happen if you play along and let it happen!

Old 08-13-2015, 10:52 AM

297 posts, read 573,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
A few years ago in a very respected newspaper (can't remember which one but one of the big ones like Washington Post, NY Times, LA Times) about horror stories of conservatorships by what appeared to be random strangers who took over elderly assets and drained them dry so what these children mentioned by the OP could be doing is similar to the article. So while some say this can't happen, I was astounded to read what "professional conservators" can do to elderly people not related to them, so it's quite possible kids can even easier do the same thing to their parents.
I recall reading that. It wasn't "random strangers." The professional conservators were appointed by the court, AFTER the person was declared incompetent, to handle their financial affairs. The assets were drained by their fees and sometimes misuse of funds, for example, buying things the elders didn't really need.

But again, I repeat, they were appointed by the court.

So, sure, kids could theoretically do the same thing if they are appointed conservators or if they have POA. But incompetent elders with dementia also falsely accuse their children. I was accused of all kinds of things when all I was trying to do was keep my parents safe and their money safe from them and for them so it would last as long as they needed.

Beware paranoia. It's ugly.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
I suppose it depends on state law but my experience is that the only way this can happen is to go before the probate judge with a medical assessment that the person is incompetent and grant legal guardianship. Power of Attorney doesn't mean you can dump a parent in a nursing home and sell their house over their objections.

A lot of people are extremely skilled at masking their dementia problems. The brighter you are, the better you are at looking normal to the outside world even if you're quite impaired. I started accompanying my mother to her routine office visits with her physician about 14 months ago. She had severe short term memory loss but was otherwise fully functional. He didn't pick up on the severity of the problem until she experienced back pain last fall and was calling his office daily forgetting that she had called the previous day. At that office visit, he took me aside and said she had a big problem. Well, duh. That is why I was here in June. When she could stick to her routine, you'd have no clue she had problems until she started looping on conversations after 10 minutes. A physician office visit doesn't last long enough to have that happen.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:07 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Something doesn't add up with the above stories. I have been a Family Physician practicing since 1987 and have been involved in cases where people REALLY needed to be in a nursing home and the hoops the family (and I) had to jump through were numerous. I find it hard to believe a mentally competent person would wind up in a nursing home against their wishes. And YES, be very careful who you assign as your power of attorney!!!
I agree. Neither story passes the smell test.

Things just don't work that way.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:20 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Any chance your friends are a little demented and that's why they are sticking to their story?
Or possibly too embarrassed to admit to you they had signed something previously, having foolishly trusted their children.

My sister in law was a pretty sneaky low life that would do those kind of things to her mother. Get her to sign things that she really shouldn't have signed.
Moral to the story---be kind and fair to your kids, they will decide/manipulate your later years.

Last edited by GiGi603; 08-13-2015 at 11:33 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 11:44 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Or possibly too embarrassed to admit to you they had signed something previously, having foolishly trusted their children.
This is always possible. I admitted that there could be things that they just didn't tell me.

Look, I know many, many such people...widows, widowers, couples...all elderly, as I do pro-bono snow plowing for seniors in the area. I usually get to know them quite well. I do not usually get to know their children well, if at all. Their children don't usually live in the same state (maybe this is related? I don't know).

But in dealing with these folks over a series of years (and the wife and I have helped them out all year long, in other ways), I would think we'd have noticed if they'd been demented. Maybe not. Most of them have very supportive, caring children. But my wife and I were just discussing these 2 families and how things ended up, and were wondering why. It seemed awfully strange; they were fine one day and gone the next.

For whoever asked, both events were preceded by minor surgery that left the parent(s) in a condition where for a couple weeks, at least, they would not just be able to walk out of the facility. There was some convalescence needed. But it dragged on and on seemingly forever, until it dawned on the elder that they were never going to leave. We visited them. Their children visited them, even the ones blamed for having set up the situation. In the end, they had nowhere else to go. Home, it seems, had gone away also.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times
Nor'Eastah:

Did you live next door to my Mom? She lived alone in a two story house and looked and acted very competent, up to a point. But, although she sometimes had her wits about her, she still needed alot of help at home and full time nursing wasn't feasible due to cost. As POA, I tried to maintain her in her house for as long as possible. But as the only "child", I was told by social services that she needed "placement." Yes, I had to tell her some partial truths to get her to leave the home. By law, I didn't have a choice. She was 100, I was in another state, and there were no other relatives. Yes, I sold her house after she left. She went to an ALF in MY STATE. So, was I the nasty daughter who did this to her??

You don't have all the facts and because you don't know the children of these people, you need to realize this was probably the only solution.. I am sure there were other related facts that you are not aware of.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:34 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Nor'Eastah:

Did you live next door to my Mom? She lived alone in a two story house and looked and acted very competent, up to a point. But, although she sometimes had her wits about her, she still needed alot of help at home and full time nursing wasn't feasible due to cost. As POA, I tried to maintain her in her house for as long as possible. But as the only "child", I was told by social services that she needed "placement." Yes, I had to tell her some partial truths to get her to leave the home. By law, I didn't have a choice. She was 100, I was in another state, and there were no other relatives. Yes, I sold her house after she left. She went to an ALF in MY STATE. So, was I the nasty daughter who did this to her??

You don't have all the facts and because you don't know the children of these people, you need to realize this was probably the only solution.. I am sure there were other related facts that you are not aware of.

PhxBarb: What you did for your mother was an act of love. And it takes so much courage to do the "deed". It's sad to think we may all reach this stage in life. I only hope someone would be as good to me as you were to your mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement