Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 07:29 AM

37,778 posts, read 46,279,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I can't believe all the people that are telling you to wear nothing.

I like Chanel Blue, Paco Rabanne 1 Million (don't laugh), Drakkar, and anything Tom Ford.

I like Tom Ford Noir Noir and Italian Cypress so much I wear them.
Many people (most that I know) cannot tolerate the overpowering scents that you seem to enjoy.

A nice CLEAN smell is so so appealing. A scent is just...well it covers up the clean. It always seems like a "stale" smell, an unappealing one.

So while YOU may like such smells, many (if not MOST today) prefer to avoid them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 10:38 AM

157 posts, read 91,931 times
In my earlier post I mentioned not using cologne and not really caring for them, but after thinking on it there is one that I do like but only have a little sampler that I rarely use. I keep thinking I'm saving it for a special occasion, but I never have special occasions!

Anyway Cefiro by Floris. That stuff smells great but costs a tidy sum. Totally worth it if you want a nice, understated cologne that doesn't stank up a room tho.

Last edited by TattedCOdude; 01-24-2019 at 10:46 AM..

Old 01-24-2019, 12:01 PM

620 posts, read 346,727 times
I am overwhelmed by the responses to my simple question. It has been fun to read the responses, still trying to figure out what money smells like. I am 63 and haven't used any cologne for at least 15 years, must be nose blind as men's cologne all smells that same to me. I take daily showers and use unscented Mennen anti-perspirant / deodorant. thanks again for all the sharing.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:31 AM

14 posts, read 5,771 times
I bought Pre de Provence No. 63 Soap for my husband and he really love it. It has a warm and spicy aroma, with many notes that make for a classic masculine vibe. It has peppery and citrusy notes, married with the clean and crisp smell of leather and musk. It also smells of cedarwood and juicy plum.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:56 AM

131,312 posts, read 12,286,385 times
Just be clean.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:56 AM

489 posts, read 420,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
For the people that have mentioned just a nice clean soap. This is one small indulgence my wife and I both like. We buy a soap called pre-de-Provence. It's a triple milled soap made in France that uses natural materials and organics for their scents. We get it online, it seems a little pricy but because of the milling process a single bar lasts a month. Scents range from floral and fruit to sea salt. As a guy I find I can use scents like lavender or lime or the already mentioned sea salt and not have my masculinity called into question.
Great idea - got some!

Old 03-27-2021, 09:05 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,248,768 times
No smell is a good smell. Shower up and rinse well

Old 03-27-2021, 09:26 AM

5,951 posts, read 5,133,244 times
I have not used a cologne/perfume in many years. Partly because my job said I could not wear any at work. All of us women were told that. One of our bosses was a woman who didn't abide by her direction. I also have sinus problems along with some allergies. The natural smell (clean!) works for me.

Haven't dated in a long time but even when I did, the men never wore any type of scent, just the soap and water that a lot of us seem to like.

In my much younger life the men all came to work with a lot of scent on. I remember especially the man who wore Old Spice. Enough to knock me out. For a lot of my earlier work life, I worked in engineering. Some of them were very nice, not spacey, none stupid. Many had a great sense of humor. I've enjoyed working with them. And do miss those days at times.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:54 AM

8,338 posts, read 4,474,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Just wondering if there are any women out there that care to share what their favorite aftershave or cologne they prefer men to use?

Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving stuff and deodorant stick is what my late great boyfriend used, and I thought that was perfect, like everything else about him. Certainly no cologne. He wasn't really all that "older man" considering that he died at 59, but I assume he would have used the same cosmeticals forever, since he never changed any of his basic routines.

Last edited by elnrgby; 03-27-2021 at 11:03 AM..

Old 03-27-2021, 11:41 AM

11,227 posts, read 9,859,867 times
Nothing at all, or something warm and natural like sandalwood, bay rum, with a little citrus maybe. It would really need to be just barely detectable, like when my nose is in your neck. I have a very sensitive nose, and most colognes give me a terrible headache if I can smell them from more than 12 inches away from you. You don't want your fragrance to enter the room before you do, or be left behind when you leave, and that goes for colognes or B.O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement