Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 09:46 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Have you ever had to evacuate?
Natural disasters are everywhere. I admit, Hurricane Harvey was horrible to deal with. It basically destroyed our city. But I also lived in California and Alaska, earthquake capitals, and Amarillo, tornado central, and I'd rather ditch the hurricanes and go with the earthquake prone areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 09:52 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
... the snow. When I visited him, I noticed that there were many homes in his neighborhood that were blue "tarp"-ed and one even had a tree smashed right through the middle.

My brother said that most of the "bad" homes had people living in them, but those people didn't have the cash to repair their homes caused by storm damage. He said that hurricanes caused a lot of damage but so did unreported tropical storms and most of the homes had been repaired once but that their owners just ran out of cash to repair multiple times.

The national weather service is one source to learn about historical bad weather events. Newer construction is supposed to reduce high wind and storm surge damage.
My homeowner's insurance policy has a $4K deductible! If you want reasonable payments keep $4K in the bank. That's probably why some people still have tarps on their roofs 2 years after Irma; they don't have the money for that deductible.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:58 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Natural disasters are everywhere.
That is not true.

Quote:
... I admit, Hurricane Harvey was horrible to deal with. It basically destroyed our city. But I also lived in California and Alaska, earthquake capitals, and Amarillo, tornado central, and I'd rather ditch the hurricanes and go with the earthquake prone areas.
drought?

Old 09-03-2019, 10:10 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Natural disasters are everywhere. I admit, Hurricane Harvey was horrible to deal with. It basically destroyed our city. But I also lived in California and Alaska, earthquake capitals, and Amarillo, tornado central, and I'd rather ditch the hurricanes and go with the earthquake prone areas.
I disagree as well. Some states go decades or longer without natural disasters. I can't think of a single natural disaster in Utah for example. As far as earthquakes, there have been very few earthquakes in the U.S. that have destroyed cities. 1906 comes in mind for San Fran and then 1960s for some towns in Alaska. Otherwise, an earthquake that destroys a city is quite rare. Hurricanes that destroy cities are not very rare. So yes, I would choose earthquake country as opposed to hurricane country.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:15 AM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Hurricane—that’s it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker I’ve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I don’t see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesn’t require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
Well, I live in Florida and I've never had hurricane shutters, I've never evacuated in the 41 years I've lived there and I've never gone for more than four days without electricity. My roof has never leaked and I've never had a window broken or a tree down in my yard. Florida *does* consist of more than the coastline, y'know?

Old 09-03-2019, 10:25 AM

408 posts, read 260,050 times
Quote:
Hurricane—that’s it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker I’ve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I don’t see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesn’t require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?

Strange that this one storm derailed one of your top choices for relocating in your retirement list. Florida is kinda known for its heat, its bugs, its humidity, and its hurricanes. I am envisioning the Caption Obvious commercials.

Good luck with finding those greener pastures.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:39 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,930,657 times
Quote:
Please help me understand: You didn't know Florida has hurricanes every year? I'm not being snarky, but hurricanes have always been a part of life in Florida.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:57 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Please help me understand: You didn't know Florida has hurricanes every year? I'm not being snarky, but hurricanes have always been a part of life in Florida.

Yeah, I don't get it either. They have always been in the cross hairs of hurricanes for my entire half century life. What does this latest one have to do with it? Hurricanes are even becoming less frequent in Florida. In fact down 50% over the last 150 years. This is the longest stretch of ten years since a hurricane has even hit Florida. If anything it seems considerably safer now. Unfortunately this might be a case of believing hype over reality.
Attached Thumbnails
Hurricane spells the end of FL as a retirement destination-floridahurricanes.jpg  

Old 09-03-2019, 11:10 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I believe I read someplace that Az is the state with the least likelyhood of a natural disaster.

Being so close to California we have felt slight earthquakes. Only enough to shake things on shelves or make ceiling fans sway. One day I was at my desk and the back of my chair came forward and hit me in the back. Found out there was a minor quake 50 miles away. I guess fires are our biggest concern and we expect them every summer.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:12 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Oh, but it's a dry heat. 114° +

People always make fun of that but it is really not that bad as long as the humidity stays low. Heat AND humidity is the 'killer'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement