Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2020, 09:26 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You are like the 10th person, who is friends with the same guy.
More like the 1000th!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 08:39 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I hope she starts to feel better soon!
Below is an update on my daughter's condition.

She has had a mild fever 99-100F for almost a week but no other symptoms. She checked with her oncologist and was assured that this is not a sign of a cancer recurrence.

After talking to several friends who has had Covids, my daughter is convinced that she has the virus in spite of testing negative 3 days after exposure. The co-worker whom she likely got the virus from never had a fever just mild fatigue. She got tested because her best friend who came to her house to exercise with was ill with positive result. The friend thinks she got the virus at a 4th of July party with one of the kids had a runny nose and a cough!

Another friend of my daughter, an airline worker, had the virus in late February. She had a low grade fever (<= 100F) like my daughter for several weeks. The fact that her two room mates tested positive and her losing sense of smell (after having the fever for 3 weeks) prompted her to get tested. The presence of antibody confirmed that she also had the virus.

So it appears that the virus affects people differently and there are many false negative test results especially when tested shortly after exposure.

It's interesting to learn that different states have different covid fever screening guidelines. My daughter's fever level is not considered a sign of infection in Idaho but is one in Minnesota and Delaware!

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coro...-20200515.html

Quote:
COVID-19 screening guidelines in Georgia, Ohio and Pennsylvania suggest that workers with temperatures of at least 100.4 degrees should be sent home because they could be infected with the novel coronavirus.

But the cutoff is 100 degrees in Texas. And even lower in Minnesota and Delaware: 99.5 degrees.

Some states don't suggest temperature screenings at all.
We saw our daughter yesterday when she came to collect her dogs (they have been staying with us for 10 days). It was a relief to see her in person. She had lost some weights and still had a mild fever but looked and felt healthy otherwise. She wore a mask and we kept at least a 10 ft distance - outdoor in the garden.

She is self-quarantined for at least 14 days since her exposure. She was told that she could go back to work after no longer having a fever for 3 days. Yesterday, I found the CDC guidelines for Healthcare workers and was surprised that they could return to work 24 hrs since last fever.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...n-to-work.html

Quote:
HCP with mild to moderate illness who are not severely immunocompromised:

At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared and
At least 24 hours have passed since last fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
Symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath) have improved
We are still crossing our fingers hoping that our daughter would not develop other symptoms or health issues. There are so many long term effects of the virus which are still being discovered.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:21 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
My step-son's fever when he was sick, April 10ish-May 2ndish soared to 103. He wasn't able to be tested and never got sick enough to go to the hospital

Old 07-24-2020, 11:09 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
She is self-quarantined for at least 14 days since her exposure. She was told that she could go back to work after no longer having a fever for 3 days. Yesterday, I found the CDC guidelines for Healthcare workers and was surprised that they could return to work 24 hrs since last fever.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...n-to-work.html
Best wishes for an uneventful recovery for your daughter.

The guideline for HCWs is no fever for 24 hours and at least ten days from onset of symptoms and improvement in symptoms like cough, as your quote noted.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:47 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
So here is the latest from Tennessee:

Governor Lee is making the bet (in the form of a multi-million $ ad campaign) that Tennesseans will do the right thing. take personal responsibility and wear masks (no mandate required). Even though there has been no indication in many areas of that happening.

I hope that I am wrong, but my belief, based on prior behavior by the general populace, is that this will be basically flushing $ down the toilet.

And we therefore continue to stumble along.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:00 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
I heard on the news today the vaccine is well on it's way to becoming reality sooner than later. Some Pharmaceutical companies are already producing 300,000,000 doses before FDA fast track approval happens. That's how confident they are what they've tested works and is safe.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:24 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Our son, age 39, today rec'd a positive on his covid test. His symptoms so far aren't too bad & for that we're thankful.

Our younger son, his brother, by all indications, survived it back in March after a trying bout. His dad & I nursed him thru it. We'll do the same with his brother.

Neither lived in the same house as us, both live near & we took / will take all necessary precautions. No fears, we've got this but we send peace & healing & stillness to all who are dealing with it.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:36 AM

881 posts, read 766,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Our son, age 39, today rec'd a positive on his covid test. His symptoms so far aren't too bad & for that we're thankful.

Our younger son, his brother, by all indications, survived it back in March after a trying bout. His dad & I nursed him thru it. We'll do the same with his brother.

Neither lived in the same house as us, both live near & we took / will take all necessary precautions. No fears, we've got this but we send peace & healing & stillness to all who are dealing with it.
I hope your son recovers quickly with no lasting effects.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:51 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I hope your son recovers quickly with no lasting effects.
Thank you. His symptoms to date include sore throat & fatigue, mild dry cough, but oddly no fever. He's dealing.

Other son's symptoms, in early March, were fever, constant nagging cough, severe fatigue, shortness of breath & tightness in chest, intermittent diarrhea. At the time covid tests weren't available but he tested negative for flu & strep. He apparently caught it from close contact with a friend who had recently returned from a trip to California & also tested negative for flu & strep. Doc diagnosed "virus of unknown origin" & recommended bed rest & fluids.

What we've learned that *might* be useful, if you want to prepare:
Keep on hand:
Cough meds that include guaifenesin. Lots & lots.
Good thermometer (Kinsa is pricey but great) & pulse oximeter. Read instructions.
Acetaminophen/tylenol for fever
Tons of gatorade or other brands fluids with electrolytes. Force fluids!
Some kind of diarrhea med
Appetite & taste might be dicey but chicken noodle/rice/vegetable soups & crackers go down well.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:10 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post

What we've learned that *might* be useful, if you want to prepare:
Keep on hand:
Cough meds that include guaifenesin. Lots & lots.
Good thermometer (Kinsa is pricey but great) & pulse oximeter. Read instructions.
Acetaminophen/tylenol for fever
Tons of gatorade or other brands fluids with electrolytes. Force fluids!
Some kind of diarrhea med
Appetite & taste might be dicey but chicken noodle/rice/vegetable soups & crackers go down well.
Thanks for this list. I've copied and pasted it into my drive for future reference. I hope your kids soon recover fully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement