Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 09:13 PM

5,473 posts, read 8,207,097 times

Advertisements

I am an 83-year-old senior, and home and business computers have been around everywhere for most of my adult life. They are old technology.

The Commodore 64, the largest selling computer model of all time, came out in 1982. I bought one at a K-Mart discount store. The famous Apple Macintosh Super Bowl commercial was in 1984. The Windows operating system came out not long after.

But computers still have to be introduced to some seniors today as if they are something new? These seniors are probably the ones who never figured out how to program their VCRs when they were younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 09:40 PM

11,657 posts, read 12,742,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I am an 83-year-old senior, and home and business computers have been around everywhere for most of my adult life. They are old technology.

The Commodore 64, the largest selling computer model of all time, came out in 1982. I bought one at a K-Mart discount store. The famous Apple Macintosh Super Bowl commercial was in 1984. The Windows operating system came out not long after.

But computers still have to be introduced to some seniors today as if they are something new? These seniors are probably the ones who never figured out how to program their VCRs when they were younger.
Or they didn't have a white collar office job and have been retired for many years. Or they were SAHM who never worked in an office. Or they have/had limited means and not enough money to keep up with the latest technology and purchase computer after 2010 or a cell phone. You have experience to build on. It's not that hard if you have used similar applications. But for others who have had limited exposure to the universal tech signs of the "hamburger," arrows in the form of a triangle, it's a puzzle.

Old 09-22-2023, 05:35 AM

6,508 posts, read 3,191,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Or they didn't have a white collar office job and have been retired for many years. Or they were SAHM who never worked in an office. Or they have/had limited means and not enough money to keep up with the latest technology and purchase computer after 2010 or a cell phone. You have experience to build on. It's not that hard if you have used similar applications. But for others who have had limited exposure to the universal tech signs of the "hamburger," arrows in the form of a triangle, it's a puzzle.
Well stated!

Old 09-22-2023, 07:34 AM

1,113 posts, read 659,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
What? I can't believe that! Tim Berners-Lee, who invented the Internet, is from the UK, and is only something like 5 years older than I, about the age of Bill Gates who is not even 70 yet. I would think it's very rare for a boomer to have difficulty logging onto the Internet - maybe they trust direct contact more than doing stuff online, but I don't think they have any trouble doing things online
Tim Berners-Lee is credited for inventing the world wide web, not the internet. And I don't have to go any further than my family to find boomers that do not go online.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:00 AM

2,582 posts, read 2,079,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Not true for most assisted living or other congregate residences.

They all have wi-fi and internet access. And at AL she will probably have help with accessing her accounts.

A long-time friend who was very active using email and had a very active Amazon account for her online buying, experienced this. She was almost 90 when she died and was still emailing her friends and family. She was always excited to get new pictures of great- and grandchildren.

The internet access is not the issue.

She needs tech support. Whether cognitive issues or the tremors from Parkinsons or simple panic, she just starts clicking stuff and locks up her computer, turns off her phone ringer, sends mystery texts, etc.

I can access her computer from another state to reset stuff - when she turns it on for me to do it. The iPhone is another issue.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:28 AM

350 posts, read 199,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
if-then if-else fail.

You're funny thinking SAHM don't know how to use computers since they never worked in an office.

AND you assume SAHM NEVER WORKED IN AN OFFICE?

Bro you may be a TOUCH behind the times and a touch clueless about females considering SAHM have BUILT the tech social network scene of the INFLUENCER community economy and are making BILLIONS staying at HOME. $21 BIL USD.

So they're sorta like the Vermont GDP by doing men's laundry and cleaning your toilets.

Who do you think "invented" ASRM? The tech prowess of Korean SAHW.

5 Million people follow a Korean lady Trad Wife and I'm one of them. I watch her do stuff in her house and outside. She just bought a luxury condo in a beautiful suburban neighborhood. It's a whole thing. YOU aren't current.

Or that you have to work in "an office" to use computers?

Or "white collar" people the ONLY ones who use computers?

Or Limited means? Every illegal demanding "amnesty" has a smart phone and you can buy computers for $50.00. Not to mention FREE in schools.

Content Creator Guys mowing lawns have MILLIONS of followers, sponsors, patrons, and are generating literally MILLIONS OF VIEWS on one property video.

Mr. Beast, youTube number one Content Creator, is positioned to become the first youTube billionaire. With 163 million subscribers and basically acting like a jackazz.

Also hate to break it to you - "technology" hasn't changed a BIT since 2010.

Stop trying to make hamburger icon happen. It's NOT universally welcomed or even well recognized TODAY, and disliked by normal people of any age . One article talks about the hamburger icon on the gmail app but SNAP they did NOT put it on the desktop version they went with that stuffy old boring search icon.

Hamburger icon: How these three lines mystify most people

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31602745

https://blog.hubspot.com/website/hamburger-button

Do you truly believe it's very complicated to tell somebody "click on that thing it's a menu" and these women and low income people just don't have the brain power to comprehend it and would NEVER think to look something up on the big old scary internet? TODAY'S SENIORS INVENTED THE INTERNET.

I won't be offended and assume you have a different culture where you're from.

Sincerely,

Me,
Senior,
Former SAHM,
Current website builder and business owner,
Formerly responsible for the entire billing system of the world's largest telcom company including hiring and firing ALL the IT people all the way up to VP level and delivering a complete re-write of such using Russian contractors who could code in Cobol in conjunction with INVENTING the ®FIRST CD ROM data delivery system to Fortune 1000 companies. The basis of which was a copy of Foxpro we bought in a Florida mall.

Oh wow how did some old non-white-collar-office woman know the trademark sign.

Last edited by jaxrivers; 09-22-2023 at 09:38 AM..

Old 09-22-2023, 10:30 PM

11,657 posts, read 12,742,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
if-then if-else fail.

You're funny thinking SAHM don't know how to use computers since they never worked in an office.

AND you assume SAHM NEVER WORKED IN AN OFFICE?

Bro you may be a TOUCH behind the times and a touch clueless about females considering SAHM have BUILT the tech social network scene of the INFLUENCER community economy and are making BILLIONS staying at HOME. $21 BIL USD.

So they're sorta like the Vermont GDP by doing men's laundry and cleaning your toilets.

Who do you think "invented" ASRM? The tech prowess of Korean SAHW.

5 Million people follow a Korean lady Trad Wife and I'm one of them. I watch her do stuff in her house and outside. She just bought a luxury condo in a beautiful suburban neighborhood. It's a whole thing. YOU aren't current.

Or that you have to work in "an office" to use computers?

Or "white collar" people the ONLY ones who use computers?

Or Limited means? Every illegal demanding "amnesty" has a smart phone and you can buy computers for $50.00. Not to mention FREE in schools.

Content Creator Guys mowing lawns have MILLIONS of followers, sponsors, patrons, and are generating literally MILLIONS OF VIEWS on one property video.

Mr. Beast, youTube number one Content Creator, is positioned to become the first youTube billionaire. With 163 million subscribers and basically acting like a jackazz.

Also hate to break it to you - "technology" hasn't changed a BIT since 2010.

Stop trying to make hamburger icon happen. It's NOT universally welcomed or even well recognized TODAY, and disliked by normal people of any age . One article talks about the hamburger icon on the gmail app but SNAP they did NOT put it on the desktop version they went with that stuffy old boring search icon.

Hamburger icon: How these three lines mystify most people

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31602745

https://blog.hubspot.com/website/hamburger-button

Do you truly believe it's very complicated to tell somebody "click on that thing it's a menu" and these women and low income people just don't have the brain power to comprehend it and would NEVER think to look something up on the big old scary internet? TODAY'S SENIORS INVENTED THE INTERNET.

I won't be offended and assume you have a different culture where you're from.

Sincerely,

Me,
Senior,
Former SAHM,
Current website builder and business owner,
Formerly responsible for the entire billing system of the world's largest telcom company including hiring and firing ALL the IT people all the way up to VP level and delivering a complete re-write of such using Russian contractors who could code in Cobol in conjunction with INVENTING the ®FIRST CD ROM data delivery system to Fortune 1000 companies. The basis of which was a copy of Foxpro we bought in a Florida mall.

Oh wow how did some old non-white-collar-office woman know the trademark sign.
So you're a former SAHM who is now in her 80s? What are you talking about? You don't know anything about me or my age. Your experience is not the norm. You completely misunderstood my post and you are so very, very ill mannered and rude.

Old 09-23-2023, 01:45 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,894,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
…generally a smartphone is required to text...
Not true.
I text from my iPhone, my iPad, and my iMac. They are all synchronized together.
Of course, I only initiate about 1 message a day.
Now, if I could figure out how feed punched cards into my phone, life would be easier.

Old 09-23-2023, 04:56 AM

1,113 posts, read 659,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Not true.
I text from my iPhone, my iPad, and my iMac. They are all synchronized together.
Please share how you set that up from scratch without an iPhone.

Last edited by akrausz; 09-23-2023 at 06:25 AM..

Old 09-23-2023, 07:45 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,559,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Please share how you set that up from scratch without an iPhone.
the poster you are replying to can answer but you dont need an iphone. Ipad or Imac suffices. Its called

imessage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement