Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 08:27 AM

11,141 posts, read 9,776,705 times

Advertisements

This is pretty much what I suspect is true in the US also. This article states that many can't even start and log in to the internet, and recommends more "offline" methods to access government services.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...b8edc8ac&ei=31

Do you know many other seniors who can't get online, or struggle to use Google, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 08:32 AM

43,182 posts, read 18,318,340 times
Most other boomers I know are pretty fluent on the internet.
My MIL law though (86) only knows how to check email and get on Facebook.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:37 AM

My own MIL refused to learn any computer-based activity. When her school district went to computers, she retired. FIL was eager to try email and would've loved Facetiming, but alas he passed away too soon.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:44 AM

17,411 posts, read 16,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
This is pretty much what I suspect is true in the US also. This article states that many can't even start and log in to the internet, and recommends more "offline" methods to access government services.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...b8edc8ac&ei=31

Do you know many other seniors who can't get online, or struggle to use Google, etc?
The ones I know can all get on and use the internet and they've been doing it for decades.

I can see how the internet might be a tough thing for them to first learn how to navigate well into their 80's, though. But that doesn't explain why they didn't learn how to do it when they were younger.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,116,312 times
At least the UK has Internet access at home.!

They did a program similar the 1930's USA REA (Rural Electric Associations) to get fiber to rural UK.

We (USA) are light years behind. I finally have HS access at (1) of my (3) USA homes. The others(?) Probably never be served by HS internet (or cell signal)

So.... yes... if you don't have Internet available, it's tough to use it.

Meta and Google have donated much connectivity to 3rd world countries, hopefully they can bring their technology home someday.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:54 AM

The thing that I've noticed older seniors having trouble with is cell phone technology - texting, using their phones to "join a cue", scan a QR code, take pictures, use GPS, use an app, etc.

That stuff they need help with and by "help" I mean they need someone else to do it for them.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:56 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,211,224 times
I know many that cannot do anything more than email and get confused if there is a glitch.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:04 AM

I get frustrated at restaurants and other places that don't have at least a few printed menus but insist that you scan a QR code and read the menu on your phone. Seriously, that's a pain in the butt, and is just far beyond what some seniors can do. Some don't even have smart phones, so how are they supposed to order?

Old 09-19-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I get frustrated at restaurants and other places that don't have at least a few printed menus but insist that you scan a QR code and read the menu on your phone. Seriously, that's a pain in the butt, and is just far beyond what some seniors can do. Some don't even have smart phones, so how are they supposed to order?
Back when they were restricting how many people could be inside of a DMV at a given time, you had to make an appointment online and provide a cellphone number so that when your appointment time drew near you would "join the cue" and wait outside in your car while their automated system sent you texts to let you know how far back "in line" that you were and when you were allowed to come inside of the building...

They were doing that kind of thing with some medical appointments, too.

It wasn't something that elderly people could manage by themselves. If they didn't have someone to help them, too bad, so sad.

There are also store coupons that you only have access to if you download their app. I guess if you don't know how to do that, again, too bad. No sale price for you.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Back when they were restricting how many people could be inside of a DMV at a given time, you had to make an appointment online and provide a cellphone number so that when your appointment time drew near you would "join the cue" and wait outside in your car while their automated system sent you texts to let you know how far back "in line" that you were and when you were allowed to come inside of the building...

They were doing that kind of thing with some medical appointments, too.

It wasn't something that elderly people could manage by themselves. If they didn't have someone to help them, too bad, so sad.
Yes, many elderly in my state had no access to vaccines, Covid Tests or appointments due to them not having cell phones (or internet access).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement