Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 09:56 AM

1,204 posts, read 534,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
really? thats not the people I know in their 80s or 70s etc. They have cell phones, tablets, computers. They may or may not use social media but many are disgusted with the high tech cos that promote the nonsense and then advertise and track the users. Many have iphones not flip phones, though I know very tech savy people who worked in hi tech who dont use many hi tech products.
Because they dont watch youtube or tic toc they are computer illerate? maybe they have better taste than that junk.
This comment gets me - the most timely, important news is on TikTok and there are still people who think this way. YouTube can be used to learn just about anything. Are you against education? Such a weird take to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 10:17 AM

17,389 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
really? thats not the people I know in their 80s or 70s etc. They have cell phones, tablets, computers. They may or may not use social media but many are disgusted with the high tech cos that promote the nonsense and then advertise and track the users. Many have iphones not flip phones, though I know very tech savy people who worked in hi tech who dont use many hi tech products.
Because they dont watch youtube or tic toc they are computer illerate? maybe they have better taste than that junk.
All I can say is that my 80 something mom was one of the sharpest tools in the shed when she entered her Independent Living facility and she knew her way around a computer. But there was something about a smartphone that confounded her and she much prefers her handy dandy flip phone.

If you go into those environments, you won't see too many seniors playing on their phones. I've never seen a senior use the app on their phone to apply coupons at the grocery store.

I worked in retail and was surprised by how many seniors did not have an email address and many didn't even know what their own cellphone number was, not because they were stupid but because they rarely had reason to give it out. We had to request that information as part of a promotion. The younger folks never had issues coming up with that info. 9 times out of 10, and maybe more than that, when a senior citizen used an email coupon it was because an adult child was there helping them to do it.

When I took out my cellphone to help locate the aisle a certain product could be found on, all of a sudden I would be surrounded by older people asking me to look up stuff for them.

Work with the public at all and you see this a lot.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:45 AM

1,097 posts, read 646,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
This comment gets me - the most timely, important news is on TikTok and there are still people who think this way. YouTube can be used to learn just about anything. Are you against education? Such a weird take to me.
It doesn't seem weird to me for some seniors to say things like that. Some might not know one app from another. Why would anyone think YouTube is useful for something, right? YouTube is my number one source for how-to videos, reviews and many other things. I probably watch YouTube more than anything else. Frankly, I find it amazing. I never looked at TikTok, so thanks for the tip.

Last edited by akrausz; 09-20-2023 at 11:32 AM..

Old 09-20-2023, 10:57 AM

I look at TikTok on occasion. They are short videos, many of which are of entertainment value only. When TikTok is mentioned in the news it's usually because of some TikTok challenge that has gone awry or a video that has gone viral for whatever reason.

Youtube has more variety and more newsworthy posts from what I've seen.

Older folks still tend to get their news from the television and even the newspaper. Yes, I know that isn't true of ALL old folks but it is true of a lot of them.

Old 09-20-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I look at TikTok on occasion. They are short videos, many of which are of entertainment value only. When TikTok is mentioned in the news it's usually because of some TikTok challenge that has gone awry or a video that has gone viral for whatever reason.

Youtube has more variety and more newsworthy posts from what I've seen.

Older folks still tend to get their news from the television and even the newspaper. Yes, I know that isn't true of ALL old folks but it is true of a lot of them.
This is just incorrect.

If you want to do an experiment, go to TikTok and put any newsworthy key words into the search engine. Most of what you see has not been reported elsewhere - stories air on TikTok first, and then when they become viral (if they aren't controversial, which is a whole different issue), they go viral on MSM (like IG Reels, etc.).

It's important because TikTok is the only platform where you can see news as it's developing. After the Maui fires, for instance, lots of vids from the people on TikTok - controversial vids do get scrubbed, but people keep posting them so you can still see a lot of what you would ever see on any other media. YouTube is heavily censored, which is FB, etc.

Old 09-20-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
All I can say is that my 80 something mom was one of the sharpest tools in the shed when she entered her Independent Living facility and she knew her way around a computer. But there was something about a smartphone that confounded her and she much prefers her handy dandy flip phone.

If you go into those environments, you won't see too many seniors playing on their phones. I've never seen a senior use the app on their phone to apply coupons at the grocery store.

I worked in retail and was surprised by how many seniors did not have an email address and many didn't even know what their own cellphone number was, not because they were stupid but because they rarely had reason to give it out. We had to request that information as part of a promotion. The younger folks never had issues coming up with that info. 9 times out of 10, and maybe more than that, when a senior citizen used an email coupon it was because an adult child was there helping them to do it.

When I took out my cellphone to help locate the aisle a certain product could be found on, all of a sudden I would be surrounded by older people asking me to look up stuff for them.

Work with the public at all and you see this a lot.
I find this sad and infuriating at the same time. It triggers me that there are so many "unaware" people on the planet because I attribute planet problems to this lack of thinking.

Old 09-20-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
This is just incorrect.

If you want to do an experiment, go to TikTok and put any newsworthy key words into the search engine. Most of what you see has not been reported elsewhere - stories air on TikTok first, and then when they become viral (if they aren't controversial, which is a whole different issue), they go viral on MSM (like IG Reels, etc.).

It's important because TikTok is the only platform where you can see news as it's developing. After the Maui fires, for instance, lots of vids from the people on TikTok - controversial vids do get scrubbed, but people keep posting them so you can still see a lot of what you would ever see on any other media. YouTube is heavily censored, which are FB, etc.
I have never used TikTok in that manner but maybe I'll give it a try. Reddit used to be the place for breaking news and gossip but there seems to have been some tightening up over there.

Old 09-20-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I find this sad and infuriating at the same time. It triggers me that there are so many "unaware" people on the planet because I attribute planet problems to this lack of thinking.
No offense, but you need to get out more. Not everyone has had the same access and interest in using technology that you have.

I actually find it very touching when I see grown children helping out their parents with some of this stuff because it is confusing for them.

I'm not sure how old you are now but if you are 85 or 90 years and able to figure all of the technology out for yourself, you are ahead of the game.

Old 09-20-2023, 12:29 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
My mom - 83 - is losing her ability to use a computer and iPhone to access the web as well as texting.

For years, she used hotmail/outlook for email and Facebook to connect with friends. She used the web to access banking, credit card and medical records. She shopped online. Once she got an iPhone, the land line was disconnected and she used the iPhone for phone calls, photos and texting.

Last year, she lost her license (medical issue) and will never drive again. She kept in touch with friends and family through email, FB and texting. Now, she is losing some cognitive skills and because of tremors due to Parkinson's Disease, her mousing and fingertip skills (for iPhone) is decreasing quickly. Most of the time, she has locked herself out of accounts due to incorrect passwords - her memory or her typing or both - and is terrified everytime she gets spam in email. She is nearing time to give up on technology.

But texting is now needed more than ever, for confirmation codes to access accounts, for medical appointment confirmation; and the web for social and banking needs. At some point, she will go into assisted living and that will likely be the end of the web in her life.

No point in this, but posting that for my widowed mother, having email and FB and her online newspaper subscriptions was wonderful over the past many years. It has been an important tool and social connector for her.

Old 09-20-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
My mom - 83 - is losing her ability to use a computer and iPhone to access the web as well as texting.

For years, she used hotmail/outlook for email and Facebook to connect with friends. She used the web to access banking, credit card and medical records. She shopped online. Once she got an iPhone, the land line was disconnected and she used the iPhone for phone calls, photos and texting.

Last year, she lost her license (medical issue) and will never drive again. She kept in touch with friends and family through email, FB and texting. Now, she is losing some cognitive skills and because of tremors due to Parkinson's Disease, her mousing and fingertip skills (for iPhone) is decreasing quickly. Most of the time, she has locked herself out of accounts due to incorrect passwords - her memory or her typing or both - and is terrified everytime she gets spam in email. She is nearing time to give up on technology.

But texting is now needed more than ever, for confirmation codes to access accounts, for medical appointment confirmation; and the web for social and banking needs. At some point, she will go into assisted living and that will likely be the end of the web in her life.

No point in this, but posting that for my widowed mother, having email and FB and her online newspaper subscriptions was wonderful over the past many years. It has been an important tool and social connector for her.
Can you teach her to click on the little microphone and use the voice activation instead of a mouse? Sounds like she has enjoyed using technology. And maybe organize all of her passwords in a notebook for her to easily access? The codes that are sent you still have to enter - not sure if there are workarounds with those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement