Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 06:29 AM

1,097 posts, read 646,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
The reluctance to learn texting blows my mind. Most of my friends and I do not spend gobs of time talking on the phone and simply text each other, so those who don't know how to text are cutting off a means of communication.
Right, but generally a smartphone is required to text, and that's where the learning curve is. Personally, I use Google Voice instead so I can text via a computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 07:46 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I know an older woman who is around 80 and doesn't know how to text on her smartphone or access her voicemail, also doesn't know how to use her computer except maybe very simple browsing. She cannot do email or minor troubleshooting. She didn't use a computer on her job and has been retired for over 20 years.

I know 2 men in their 60's who are not able to text or use a smartphone but can do simple computer stuff.

The reluctance to learn texting blows my mind. Most of my friends and I do not spend gobs of time talking on the phone and simply text each other, so those who don't know how to text are cutting off a means of communication.
Who do you want them to text? some of this stuff is vastly over rated.

Old 09-21-2023, 08:18 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Born in the middle 1930s I am what I call the "invisible generation".

I never used a computer at work, I retired 26 years ago. I have been a computer beginner for 20 years. I flinch when the word "update" appears on my screen. Updates are done by geeks, for geeks.

5 years ago my daughter bought me smartphone. No directions at all came with it. I rarely used it until my landline went away.

I wound up with a Seattle area code on the smartphone. I get spam/trash calls from out there. I'm in Florida.

I do not trust nor use online banking ever. That probably makes me a Luddite. I do believe that all cable providers SUCK!

The nice folks at the VA put an AP on my phone that enables me to adjust my hearing aids, and it is simple. Use it every day.

Nearly every conversation I have with my mom now includes her saying something about having no instruction book for her iPhone, that no book came with it. I do remember when cell phones came with instruction books (not sure if iPhones did, but older flip phones certainly did). They were dense little booklets sized to fit the box that the phone came in.

I point her to the web - there is a seemingly endless number of videos for every feature for iPhones. In addition to blog postings and information from Apple if she does not want a video (which I get, so many videos are stuffed with filler). On Roku (used for streaming on her TV), I found a streaming channel that includes tips and tutorials for seniors in using their iPhones.

If anything, there is an overabundance of guidance and perhaps that is overwhelming her (it overwhelms me often).

Old 09-21-2023, 10:19 AM

11,120 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
LMAO, I'm a so-called member of as you call us silent luddites. I've been working or managing one of the largest corporate mainframe operations in the country from the 60s until retirement in the early 90s.
Started with the 7070 series, 1401, and 360 computers, in other words, started with punch cards and vacuum tape drives. I did hire Boomers out of college or military officers.

I still built my own PCs and recently upgraded my entertainment system for the 2.1 HDMI in/output, subwoofer, and 7 speakers. I use the phone to control everything from the lawn sprinklers to the temperature in the house and even to add water to the pool.

I love technology and have started in the field before anyone here.
A Luddite is someone who refuses to use new technology. You're clearly not a Luddite.

Old 09-21-2023, 10:44 AM

11,120 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm surprised it's not MORE than half in both places, and I'm one of them. You're not born knowing these things (well, I guess children today are since even babies use tablets), and I've found it nearly impossible to find anyone to help me learn...

No, they don't offer help at my library OR senior center. And I don't have any "young people" I can ask, not that they'd have the patience to help me if I did!
Well, you use the internet daily to post on C-D, so you're obviously not someone who struggles to access the internet.

Old 09-21-2023, 11:54 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
This is pretty much what I suspect is true in the US also. This article states that many can't even start and log in to the internet, and recommends more "offline" methods to access government services.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...b8edc8ac&ei=31

Do you know many other seniors who can't get online, or struggle to use Google, etc?
What? I can't believe that! Tim Berners-Lee, who invented the Internet, is from the UK, and is only something like 5 years older than I, about the age of Bill Gates who is not even 70 yet. I would think it's very rare for a boomer to have difficulty logging onto the Internet - maybe they trust direct contact more than doing stuff online, but I don't think they have any trouble doing things online (eg, if I needed to wire money somewhere, I'd go physically to the bank, and when I sign up for Medicare and Soc Security, I'll probably also go to the Soc Security office, but that is not because I have difficulty using the Internet).

Old 09-21-2023, 12:47 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Here's an example of a senior, with limited English ability, having to have his son set up and validate a bus/train pass for the NYC transit system. NYC moved its transit passes online. Previously there was a physical transit pass that his father used, but the switch to an online "tap" system instead of the pass is confusing. I haven't switched to the newer Omni "tap" system from the physical pass.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...-question.html

Old 09-21-2023, 03:38 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'm an internet-saavy boomer, have used it for years, including its use for a "side gig" I have had for years as a medical editor for a medical continuing education company. And I have a smart phone, but I don't use all its applications, as I find viewing material on a small screen hard on my old eyes, and printing on a tiny keyboard awkward at times. I'd be very annoyed at being told I had to view a menu on my phone at a restaurant in lieu of a printed menu, and I'd probably get up and leave.
Yeah, I hate those phone menus. I'd walk out too. For many of us, we know HOW to do it, but we don't like it. The small screens on smart phones are difficult for old eyes. One-finger texting is a real PITA. There is no cell coverage at our condo (cliffs/ocean) so we never text anybody except an occasional Whats App to our taxi driver. It's awful when we need to receive a code thru' text. I hate that. Have to reroute through someone with cell phone coverage. They won't send to a VOIP which is ridiculous.

We need a younger person to help with some things too, but we're in a retirement area and there aren't any. I don't know why some high-tech retired person wouldn't want to assist for a little side-gig. Much of this tech is totally non-intuitive. Even tech directions on the internet are confusing and contradictory.

We will go down in history as the last generation to come to adulthood without the internet. Something to think about.

Old 09-21-2023, 03:43 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Well, you use the internet daily to post on C-D, so you're obviously not someone who struggles to access the internet.
Believe me, I have my struggles with technology. And despite using it "daily" (not quite), I don't like it and don't believe it's improved life -- mine or anyone else's. I own a laptop because I had to for work and now have to in order to be somewhat in touch with the outside world. It mostly mystifies me, esp. when something goes wrong, as it did recently. There was no help for it! I refuse to own or use a "smart" phone. I do miss out on bargains and specials without "apps" and resent it. I have no idea how to book airline tickets now or use an Uber or Lyft. I refuse to bank online or preregister for medical appointments. I've even been told that I "must not want friends" simply because I'm not constantly, compulsively talking and texting on one. If that's what it takes to have them these days, so be it....

Last edited by otterhere; 09-21-2023 at 03:52 PM..

Old 09-21-2023, 04:39 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Here's an example of a senior, with limited English ability, having to have his son set up and validate a bus/train pass for the NYC transit system. NYC moved its transit passes online. Previously there was a physical transit pass that his father used, but the switch to an online "tap" system instead of the pass is confusing. I haven't switched to the newer Omni "tap" system from the physical pass.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...-question.html
In Oct/Nov 2012, I was climbing in the Himalayas, on the Nepal side, and all those old cattle herders (as well as absolutely everyone else) in remote villages up there had cellphones. They may not have had any kind of vehicle or a refrigerator or teeth (or any English ability), but they surely had cellphones/Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement