Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 01:33 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

My multi-degreed, CalTech graduate, pocket protector geek father never did "get" the internet or how to use it. In the early days of home computers (pre-windows programming, floppy disks, and DOS) he brought home a shiny new Apple and seemed to be very keen about it. He brought home book after book about software and programming, created massively complex spreadsheets of financial data, but he never advanced to anything web-based. I suspect it wasn't that he was incapable of learning, but the motivation to go beyond theory into practice was lacking. I sat down with him many, many times trying to help him to set up and use basic TV subscription-based email, stay in contact with family and friends, access and store all that same financial data, take care of personal business via websites, read and learn, but it never took.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 01:45 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
This is pretty much what I suspect is true in the US also. This article states that many can't even start and log in to the internet, and recommends more "offline" methods to access government services.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...b8edc8ac&ei=31

Do you know many other seniors who can't get online, or struggle to use Google, etc?
Ehh the Brits struggle with tooth brushes too!

Old 09-19-2023, 01:54 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
The Boomers invented the internet and I would think "most" would know how to use technology. The Greatest Generation had a real problem with it as a whole, as did (or does?) the Silent Generation. Bunch of Luddites - real fear of technology, which is difficult to comprehend.

It might be the Silent Generation that is mostly represented in the portion of people who still struggle with it.

I wonder if the people of any age who can't grasp it might have some kind of learning disability.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:02 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
The Boomers invented the internet and I would think "most" would know how to use technology. The Greatest Generation had a real problem with it as a whole, as did (or does?) the Silent Generation. Bunch of Luddites - real fear of technology, which is difficult to comprehend.

It might be the Silent Generation that is mostly represented in the portion of people who still struggle with it.

I wonder if the people of any age who can't grasp it might have some kind of learning disability.
Sure. But don't think for a second that there won't be new technology that comes out when you are 80 that will confound you, too.

My mom has always been an avid book reader but if all she had was a kindle to use she would have given up reading a long, long time ago. And, you know what? I prefer a real book to a kindle, too.

Asking an 85 year old to install an app on their cellphone so they can order themselves an Uber to take them to the medical appointment that they booked online weeks ago and then sit in their car "in the cue" until they are texted to come inside the building.....is ridiculous.

Remember they have likely never taken a class using any of this technology or had to use that technology at work. But now all of a sudden they are supposed to "adapt" to what the younger crowd is used to or be branded cognitively impaired in some way. Nice society we live in, ain't it.

Last edited by springfieldva; 09-19-2023 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-19-2023, 02:31 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I am a senior and I know enough technology to accomplish my goals.

I surf and search.
I buy and comment.
I text and email people.
I use MS apps.
I use password managers.
I download and update software.
I scan and copy.
I play solo games.
I manage my computer and internet security suite.
I use my secure VPN as needed.

There are things I don't learn because they don't interest me.

I do not scan codes in restaurants for menus. They have to give me a printed menu. I don't care if they use their phones to download and print. I am not reading a multipage menu on my phone.

My "senior" friends and family use technology at my level or higher. I'm surprised to hear that so many people are not using the technology as we are.

I retired twenty years ago and the technology we used in the office is nothing like the current technology. It became my responsibility to "keep up" with the changes on my own after I retired..

No smartphones back then. Blackberry was state of the art technology.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:50 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
^Do they have to sign up online to take the Internet Basics course or can they sign up for it in person at the library.

They offer classes like that at our local colleges but you have to go online to sign up for them. It's probably mostly adult kids signing their parents up for those classes.
Since the re-opening of libraries after the Pandemic, the sign-up for classes are in-person, but there are still some "beginner" office 365 classes that are hosted online. There are also "labs" where you can bring your device to the library and one of the librarians will answer your questions or tutor you on what you want to learn. The in-person classes are implemented using the library's computers. Some of the introductory classes include keyboarding, using a mouse, how to shop using the internet, setting up an email account, using the social security website, what kind of computer should you buy. These are just some examples of what I have seen and also attended (especially the one about computer purchase advice). In-person classes give out paper handouts. Online classes provide PP slides or PDF files that can be downloaded.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I am a senior and I know enough technology to accomplish my goals.

I surf and search.
I buy and comment.
I text and email people.
I use MS apps.
I use password managers.
I download and update software.
I scan and copy.
I play solo games.
I manage my computer and internet security suite.
I use my secure VPN as needed.

There are things I don't learn because they don't interest me.

I do not scan codes in restaurants for menus. They have to give me a printed menu. I don't care if they use their phones to download and print. I am not reading a multipage menu on my phone.

My "senior" friends and family use technology at my level or higher. I'm surprised to hear that so many people are not using the technology as we are.

I retired twenty years ago and the technology we used in the office is nothing like the current technology. It became my responsibility to "keep up" with the changes on my own after I retired..

No smartphones back then. Blackberry was state of the art technology.
There are kids graduating from high school who can barely read and couldn't calculate a percentage in their head if their lives depended on it.

But they ALL know how to use their smartphones and calculators. Apps are doing the work that our brains used to do. Jobs that people used to do are now being done by machines.

As for myself, I know enough to get by and have found that I can figure things out when I need to. Most of this stuff is very user friendly.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:57 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post

There are occupations that still do not require a computer and if you lack the money, some people have never purchased devices so they have little or outdated technology experience. Not everyone was employed in the office. Then there are the older women who stayed home and never worked. These seem to be the ones most limited unless there are spouses or children in the household that showed them what to do.

Old 09-19-2023, 03:03 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I have to use it for research at work. Especially the recent changes to AI give me some discomfort especially as my peers are an age group which happy embraces anything that makes not sense to them.

Mumsy has no problem with her IPhone for basics. She did well with the IPad SO gave her when she visited May/June. She unlearned on the plane home. He just talked her through how to watch DVDs. She was sharp as a tack. What happened? She gets frustrated and loud when I try but SO is better at that.

Old 09-19-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Since the re-opening of libraries after the Pandemic, the sign-up for classes are in-person, but there are still some "beginner" office 365 classes that are hosted online. There are also "labs" where you can bring your device to the library and one of the librarians will answer your questions or tutor you on what you want to learn. The in-person classes are implemented using the library's computers. Some of the introductory classes include keyboarding, using a mouse, how to shop using the internet, setting up an email account, using the social security website, what kind of computer should you buy. These are just some examples of what I have seen and also attended (especially the one about computer purchase advice). In-person classes give out paper handouts. Online classes provide PP slides or PDF files that can be downloaded.
Wow, your library really has an extensive program. I think that our library only offers a couple of story time type classes for the little ones who aren't in school, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement