Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2023, 11:22 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,961,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I wouldn't quite. It would be like this,

"Oh, please, I don't want to walk away and leave all these goods for you to restock..... but that is what we are looking at here. I will not use self checkout, period."

Oh, and just by the way.....my grocery bills have often been a $300+ checkout.
I'm not understanding what you wrote here. Are you saying you're goin to walk out and leave $300 worth of merchandise and groceries because there are no cashiers? Like MQ said, please check to see whether there are cashiers available before you load up with $300 worth of stuff.

Bear in mind that cashiers get a dinner break. They are 1 hour at Walmart. Cashiers and other employees cannot just come back on shift. They simply cannot log on to a cash register - at all - until their shift ends.

And what you're saying is that you're going to waste time going to another store, do the same shopping, and maybe not even find some items you found at the first place?And what if that store doesn't have any available cash registers/cashiers?

Grocery stores don't care about losing your $300+ checkout. That's pretty standard, especially at certain times of the month. It's a grain of sand in their haystack.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:23 AM

19,897 posts, read 9,458,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ah, but smartphones have nothing to do with self-checkouts, really. You can use your credit or debit card at self-checkouts, same as with a cashier. No phone required.

Sadly, your tech thread was hijacked and skewed to self-checkouts.
Yes, and I asked that of the poster who tried to help an oldster with an Apple app, as I thought that CCs and cash were still good at checkouts. As long as these can continue to be used, I don't have a problem with that at all except that there are several/many stories about people being falsely accused of stealing and of problems with scanning some items. Again, as long as there is a human available for assistance, I don't have a problem with it.

The poster hasn't yet replied, but I just didn't understand why an Apple app was even involved in helping the oldster with self-checkout.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:24 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,037,715 times
Quote:
It is when it is raw goods, when it is a basket filled canned goods. I am willing to unload it to the conveyor belt....but I do expect someone else to scan, bag, and reload my cart.....and someday, even take it out to my car.
Keep wishing. You live in a fantasy world.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:25 AM

19,897 posts, read 9,458,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
What does a smartphone have to do with self-checkout?

I really don't understand people who are so flex-y about hating smartphones. It's almost a reverse fetish.
It doesn't. I was just getting back "on topic" which was primarily dealing with Smartphones. And I think many people have discussed why they don't like Smartphones, so I won't get into that again. I think I have explained why I don't like them -- but I have NO objection to anyone else getting and using them. I just wish that Smartphone users will continue to extend those of us who don't have or like them the same freedom to choose. Most of us will be dead in 20 or 30 years, anyway.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ah, but smartphones have nothing to do with self-checkouts, really. You can use your credit or debit card at self-checkouts, same as with a cashier. No phone required.

Sadly, your tech thread was hijacked and skewed to self-checkouts.
It doesn't have to do with credit cards or smart phones with an app. It has to do with the fact that some people despise scanning and bagging their own items. Many of them will curse and swear at the self checkout employees. I've seen it, and it's happened to me directly. Some people will force the self checkout employees to do it for them, and if it's an elderly cranky person, the manager will allow the employee to help the Luddite in order to keep the peace and the situation from escalating.

This thread was not hijacked. It's about people who don't want to use modern technology. Self checkouts is a very good example.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:28 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
I would never to that, anyhow. It goes against my angelic nature.

So, seriously, is that part of world now? Machines promoting so people can be, if more, mean and unpleasant? If that's part of the conditioning of living in the 21st century, they can keep it.
I don't think so. That is just my personal perception as a person who is not nice by nature but learned from childhood how to fake it. . It's a bit of a relief to be free to yell at a stupid machine, something I would not do to a stupid person.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-19-2023 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Fat thumb typos

Old 10-19-2023, 11:28 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,077,355 times
I understand there are stores out west that are like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzFhBGKU6HA&t=1s
Knowing about them ahead of time, I am sure as heck never shopping there.

"Check out lines, who needs them?" Well, like the VISA check card commercial,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuMgRN2Atvk
I am not participating in a world that makes you just a number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I'm not understanding what you wrote here. Are you saying you're goin to walk out and leave $300 worth of merchandise and groceries because there are no cashiers? Like MQ said, please check to see whether there are cashiers available before you load up with $300 worth of stuff.

Bear in mind that cashiers get a dinner break. They are 1 hour at Walmart. Cashiers and other employees cannot just come back on shift. They simply cannot log on to a cash register - at all - until their shift ends.

And what you're saying is that you're going to waste time going to another store, do the same shopping, and maybe not even find some items you found at the first place?And what if that store doesn't have any available cash registers/cashiers?

Grocery stores don't care about losing your $300+ checkout. That's pretty standard, especially at certain times of the month. It's a grain of sand in their haystack.
I am saying, AGAIN, that if the store I always shop at decided to do away with the cashiers, we might have a problem. In the interest to the 21st century way of life, I will not do self checkout at all and if they are suddenly forcing that down my throat, when it wasn't like that the last time I was there, I am not going to comply.

I find this very interesting for when I deal with the young of the current times and tell them they can't do something, their immediate response is, "Where is the sign that says I can't?".

So if I walk in to my common store and they have changed their ways without telling me, without posting a sign that they have, is that not contradictory to how things run in this century?

Anyhow, I use my store because they have people cashiers. If they ever change, especially where one does not find out till ready to check out, then that last meeting is going to be rather rough.

I will not comply to self check out.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
You are. You're the rude one in that scenario.

And it's 2023...a $300 supermarket purchase is not MASSIVE.
Oh I don't know. You might even fill a couple of bags for that money.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think the last couple of pages of posts on this thread regarding self-checkout is a good summary of what I am talking about.

I think that a good compromise would be to have ONE station available for us "dinosaurs" and all the remaining stations for those who have Smartphones. If there are, for example, 12 stations with only one open with a human cashier (or at least a human to provide assistance as needed), then maybe it will encourage people to be more open to getting a Smartphone -- but the option will still be there for those people who don't have Smartphone and don't need (yet)?

And, btw, this hasn't come up yet, but the cost to own and use a Smartphone is about $1,900 a year, according to this:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/5242...d%20%243%2C800.

Why on earth should someone be forced to spend $1,900 a year for a personal item that they don't want?

I have a senior flip phone ($30 a month) and Internet service and a landline phone ($105 a month), and I would still have PC Internet and a landline phone even if I did own a Smartphone. So instead of now spending $1,620 a year, I would be spending a $3,160 a year, if I replaced by senior flip phone with a Smartphone, a difference of $1,540 a year or about $125 more a month, if my math is correct. I am sure paying that much more would not matter to many seniors, but it would matter to me. But, again, the point is that I don't think that anyone should be forced to buy and use a Smartphone.
No, no one should ever be forced to buy a smartphone, I think we all agree on that.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I am saying, AGAIN, that if the store I always shop at decided to do away with the cashiers, we might have a problem. In the interest to the 21st century way of life, I will not do self checkout at all and if they are suddenly forcing that down my throat, when it wasn't like that the last time I was there, I am not going to comply.

I find this very interesting for when I deal with the young of the current times and tell them they can't do something, their immediate response is, "Where is the sign that says I can't?".

So if I walk in to my common store and they have changed their ways without telling me, without posting a sign that they have, is that not contradictory to how things run in this century?

Anyhow, I use my store because they have people cashiers. If they ever change, especially where one does not find out till ready to check out, then that last meeting is going to be rather rough.

I will not comply to self check out.
Well don't shop at Walmart then, because that's the way they are going. Hell, they are working on robots to do what employees currently do. That's across the board, not just cashiering.

I have seen customers scream and yell at middle managers more than once because cash registers aren't open.

As for dinner breaks, If an employee is full time, they get one hour for a meal break. If they are part time, they get 15 minutes (for, say, a 5-hour shift). For a 6 hour shift, they get 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement