Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 10:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post

Should be interesting when we finally decide to go to Italy like we've talked about.
Today I saw a FL to Rome 13 day repositioning cruise for $523.
That's a good price. That's how we've come and gone to Italy a few times.
Dubai to Venice (18 days) was ~$1000, and well worth the journey (we needed the rest). Not likely to get back to that route again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 10:25 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,677,831 times
We just got back from Europe after a 9+ hour return flight in economy. It wasn’t too terrible except the plane was absolutely freezing. People were putting up their jacket hoods and retrieving warmer clothes out of their luggage. Very little adjustment even after flight attendants were made aware.

That said, we will continue longer flights for several years (mid 70s now) but those lie flat seats are calling us. We usually fly with free miles and first/business class requirements are quite high.

Flying is such a hassle now but we would like to return to Europe at least one or two more times as we usually go every other year. The other place of interest is Australia/New Zealand and we would need to have lie flat seats for sure or possibly cruise one way. We have already been to Hawaii several times and will not fly there again. But maybe Tahiti . . .

Old 10-20-2023, 05:11 AM

24,685 posts, read 9,505,886 times
As long as I can fly business or higher, I will always keep flying until I can't. Being able to lie down and sleep, really helps the trip go by faster.

Old 10-20-2023, 06:38 AM

11,147 posts, read 9,787,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
At 78 long haul flights have become a nightmare. Like you we did a 7 hour flight into Hawaii. The economy class seats nearly killed me. There’s just no way you can get comfortable with your knees jammed up against the back seat of the person in front of you.

And the TSA. The only saving grace was going through the security line they are letting people 75 and older keep their shoes on. They even confiscated my brand new packaged tooth paste because the tube was too large. We were in Lahaina just 8 hours or so before the fire.
TSA Pre-check and Global Entry programs eliminate the wait at TSA checkpoints. You don't have to take off anything, except sometimes your jacket, and of course any metal in your pockets. I don't wear belts so nothing needs to come off and you rarely get xrayed. You don't have to remove electronics or toiletries from your bag, etc. They xray your bag and you just walk on through. I've avoided hour long TSA lines many times with these programs. Rarely have I had to wait more than 5 minutes.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
.... Australia/New Zealand and we would need to have lie flat seats for sure or possibly cruise one way. We have already been to Hawaii several times and will not fly there again. But maybe Tahiti . . .
Check Air New Zealand out of LA. They used to allow a stopover in the Cook Islands. Stay a few weeks there, each direction. Helps split up the trip, and the various islands can be relaxed and mostly tourist free. (Which won't happen in Tahiti or Hawaii) New Zealand limits USA stay (unless you qualify for work or other visa), so you'll need to head to Australia to extend trip over 90 days. We spent most of our 90 days on the south Island with thousands of German tourists. Then a couple of weeks on North Island, then back to Australia for a few months. It's nice to have summer in January and February. The long flight is worth it.
https://www.ivisa.com/new-zealand/bl...or-us-citizens

My mom went to NZ multiple times via repositioning cruise ~30 days.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:25 AM

3,104 posts, read 2,233,791 times
I am sure there will come a point, if we live long enough, when we don’t but do not have any plans for stopping flying long distances and overseas. The lie flat seats in business class are reasonably comfortable. And, as someone said - global entry, pre-check etc. help. I have flown some (2M miler on Delta), and have found the lie flat seats the best new addition. [They have been around for some time but I flew a lot of overseas trip when they weren’t.]

Old 10-20-2023, 09:25 AM

7,416 posts, read 6,579,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As long as I can fly business or higher, I will always keep flying until I can't. Being able to lie down and sleep, really helps the trip go by faster.
Yes, I’m with you….I have been flying mostly Business Class (with layflats) or Premium Economy (often getting an upgrade to Business—either for free or for a minimal charge) to mitigate the hassles of flying. Access to airline lounge, early boarding, and no issue bringing on and storing my carry on luggage. I’m also TSA Pre Check and use the free Mobile Passport Control app to get thru an expedited Customs line upon return home.

BTW, I’ve noticed Business Class on the return to the US (at least on American) is quite a bit cheaper than paying for Business on the outbound (reason why I will typically choose Premium Economy going, hoping, and usually getting an upgrade at a reasonable cost later but prior to my departure). For perspective, I just accepted an upgrade from PE to Business for $350 on an upcoming trip to Brazil in early December.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-20-2023 at 09:42 AM..

Old 10-20-2023, 09:32 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,214,120 times
Zero. I hate plane travel.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:20 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,240,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Zero. I hate plane travel.

Ditto, only when necessary for family visits.

I'm just down to taking a flight to see my dad and with my wife to see my MIL, both are cross country trips involving connecting flights. Departure to final landing typically takes 8-10 hours.

I don't fly for pleasure trips, I dread flying. I have no fear of flying, and did it a lot during my career, but I hate the entire airport and airplane process.

Old 10-20-2023, 12:54 PM

844 posts, read 422,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Ditto, only when necessary for family visits.

I'm just down to taking a flight to see my dad and with my wife to see my MIL, both are cross country trips involving connecting flights. Departure to final landing typically takes 8-10 hours.

I don't fly for pleasure trips, I dread flying. I have no fear of flying, and did it a lot during my career, but I hate the entire airport and airplane process.
I got flying down to a "science" from years of business travel, such as obtaining TSA known traveler number (for TSA pre-check), each airline frequent flyer miles (for early check-in ), and ALWAYS carry-on luggage (so they won't loss them).

I can sleep anywhere with any noise so sleep during flight is not a problem. I also bring noise canceling headphones on the plane. My wife envy me who can sleep on the drop of dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement