Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 05:41 AM

7,506 posts, read 3,227,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
I read this whole thread and didn't see my question discussed. I have a will and POD (Payable of Death) beneficiary on my accounts. However, I am concerned about my house with no mortgage held up in probate. I am looking into putting it into a revocable trust. But I may also sell and move within 3 years. If I spend the 1,000-1,500$ putting this house in the trust, will I have to do that all over again and spend the money with the next house?
So what if someone receiving a house has to deal with probate? They are getting a house. Let them deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 07:38 AM

106,621 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
I read this whole thread and didn't see my question discussed. I have a will and POD (Payable of Death) beneficiary on my accounts. However, I am concerned about my house with no mortgage held up in probate. I am looking into putting it into a revocable trust. But I may also sell and move within 3 years. If I spend the 1,000-1,500$ putting this house in the trust, will I have to do that all over again and spend the money with the next house?
keep in mind , in most states homes are a protected asset and not counted in the spend down under a certain value if medicaid nursing care is needed .

many states unprotect a home in a revocable trust ..it then has to be sold and spent down to qualify for medicaid

Old 11-26-2023, 07:41 AM

106,621 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
So what if someone receiving a house has to deal with probate? They are getting a house. Let them deal with it.
the problem is many times heirs can’t take on the expenses associated with keeping a house going that they need to sell .

some probate courts can take months to clear.

my son walked from a deal where a house was being sold that he wanted to buy when after 3 months it was still in probate

in the mean time heirs are laying out a lot of money .

no problem if you can afford it , but many can’t and short of the house the estate has little cash

Old 11-26-2023, 09:35 AM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
If you live in a state where ladybird deeds are available, that's a good option to avoid probate of a house. Summary here, but talk to an attorney https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/i...lady-bird-deed

Old 11-27-2023, 05:10 AM

337 posts, read 448,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem is many times heirs can’t take on the expenses associated with keeping a house going that they need to sell .

some probate courts can take months to clear.

my son walked from a deal where a house was being sold that he wanted to buy when after 3 months it was still in probate

in the mean time heirs are laying out a lot of money .

no problem if you can afford it , but many can’t and short of the house the estate has little cash
exactly this. thank you

Old 11-27-2023, 05:11 AM

337 posts, read 448,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If you live in a state where ladybird deeds are available, that's a good option to avoid probate of a house. Summary here, but talk to an attorney https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/i...lady-bird-deed
Tennessee.. no ladybird here

Old 11-27-2023, 09:51 AM

2,340 posts, read 612,736 times
We need to set up a trust and current will - we have multiple rentals - 5 in AZ 1 in TN and 2 in TX - we are in TX now. The TN rental is with our middle daughter - our portion will go to her - Not sure what to do with all the others LOL.

Old 11-27-2023, 10:46 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
I need to do this as well but the more I read up and talk to others, the more I dont understand why anyone would have a will vs a living trust.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:07 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I need to do this as well but the more I read up and talk to others, the more I dont understand why anyone would have a will vs a living trust.
Hmm. Well some of us don't even know what a living trust is or why it is better! So we had a will made.

I could Google, I reckon, while I sit here waiting for my thyroid biopsy.

OK, I did. Doesn't really sound as if it's something I need. Expensive to set up, has to be updated whenever property is acquired or disposed of. There are no estate taxes anyway in my state so that advantage is moot. I guess if I move to another state, which is the plan, I would have to check that out. No probate costs, but how much is probate anyway?

I was co-exec on my mother's will, which had issues because she died in 2020 when the courts were closed so eventually we got a lawyer to help us, but normally we would have done it ourselves.

For people wealthier than I and with multiple heirs, it might be advantageous, but I have one child, a small condo, and a minimum of savings and investments, so I don't see it. My pension ends when I die.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-27-2023 at 11:19 AM..

Old 11-27-2023, 11:07 AM

308 posts, read 211,591 times
Anybody has had any experience with Online will services...like Freewill.com?..Legal Zoom?
I have reached a point in my life where I truly feel my death is emiment...too many health issues and too much anxiety/depression.

I will die in oppressive debt,due to newly incurred and future incurred medical debt;plus previous debt for which I was making a lot of progress on but won't be able to keep at it due to soon-to-happen job loss and inability to work and living only on SS.

My total assetts will be appx less than $40K..which include my 2020 car and a physical media collection.Not much more...My debt will be in the $100K's.

I started filling out a form online...but got scared when specific questions were being asked,like bank account #'s,Etc. and I stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement