Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 11:09 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Question about a will being written by an attorney. I like the idea of the attorney having official access to the will, such as an official copy of it or having the official will. A relative had a will done like this in a midwestern state.

However, when my Florida attorney wrote up my will a few years ago, the attorney didnt want any part of being a keeper of the will, even though I asked about it.

Does anyone know if each state has laws about whether an attorney can become the official keeper of the will or whether the will can be officially recorded in a state level database or similar (likely protected from public view on need-to-know basis). Anyone have insight on Florida?

Want to avoid "what if" scenario where a relative that was left off the will - gained access to the will and burned it, so they can then inherit via Intestate Succession.
Lawyers are required by their state bar association to maintain client files generally for five years. After that, they may destroy the records. So, I would think a lawyer would have to have a copy of your will on file for five years.

I don't practice in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 11:19 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,729,373 times
We have what might be a substantial estate. Some were inherited from my mother some were our own savings etc.

After my dad died without a will in 1990 and it was a f'ing mess, my mother (who he was divorced from, but left her on the insurance accounts, etc) got her affairs in order. So when she died it was a seamless process, multiple properties etc. Everything divided by 4, who got what etc. I was the executor and it was relatively easy.

So when our time came to do wills etc we went with a revocable trust and all the medical stuff. The questions that were asked about how we wanted our only child to receive the assets were eye-opening. Not something an online will would have given us

Most of this was because she was a minor at the time (16), and how and when she would receive the $ was important.

The lawyer suggested % of money distributed at various ages. If we were to die tomorrow, she would be a 21 yr old with considerable assets, a dangerous combination. So she gets living, education, and medical expenses paid (within reason) and she needs to be employed, have a certain credit score, and be a productive member of society.

These amounts (%) change as she gets older, but she does not have total control of the $ until she is 50. Of course, she can buy a house with it, send her kids to school etc but the idea is to create generational wealth, not for her to live the life of Riley, blowing through it traveling the world etc. If she were to go to rehab, for instance, it would pay for that, but seriously restrict access.

She will also inherit $ from all 3 of my brothers, as they have no children and she is the only relative. We all use the same Financial manager who has copies of all the pertinent information.

Those situations are something that only a lawyer, not an online form, would be able to ask and from experience provide guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement