Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 12:26 PM

7,560 posts, read 3,241,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
attorneys loved those legal do it yourself stores WE THE PEOPLE

the mistakes and situations that didn’t apply created so much work for local attorneys..they were sorry to see them fold eventually .

our own attorney loves the self insurers for their long term care .

when care is needed the stay at home spouse panics and realizes she could be impoverished and then seeks legal help

the self insurers never isolate the insurance money , they keep it as part of the income generation money .

now when something happens and a huge chunk comes out , what is left to generate income is a big hit . they never did anything special to act as an insurance company other then to say we are self insuring .

self insuring means investing like an insurer with a big chunk segregated in low return safe investments

The best argument for never remarrying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 12:31 PM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
but there are so many other reasons for remarrying . there are reasons for not having kids too , but i can’t imagine not..

i got married so all my decisions are made for me and i don’t have to think ha ha

when the waiter asks me if i want bread i just look at my wife.

before i remarried 98% of what i ate came thru the drivers side window.

i need full time adult supervision

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-03-2023 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-03-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
but there are so many other reasons for remarrying . there are reasons for not having kids either but i can’t imagine not..

i got married so all my decisions are made for me and i don’t have to think ha ha

when the waiter asks me if i want bread i just look at my wife.

before i remarried 98% of what i ate came thru the drivers side window.

i need full time adult supervision

Oh, I don't disagree. It's a good deal for men. It's a ton of work for women. I'm not looking for a second job

Old 12-03-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Oh, I don't disagree. It's a good deal for men. It's a ton of work for women.
oh i agree …look up needy …my picture may still come up.

so yeah i am high maintenance but that is mostly because my mom wrote a manual for the women in my life

THE PROPER CARE AND FEEDING OF MATHJAK .

so it isn’t like she didn’t know ha ha

she was a pre school teacher for decades so she is perfect as far as adult supervision

Old 12-03-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
oh i agree …look up needy …my picture may still come up.

so yeah i am high maintenance but that is mostly becuse my mom wrote a manual

THE PROPER CARE AND FEEDING OF MATHJAK .

so it isn’t like she didn’t know ha ha

The male species is mostly all the same. You're not unusual MathJak. That's what women sign up for.

I suppose when I retire (at 80ish) I could then consider taking on a new mate -- LOL as I would have time on my hands. Or, if somehow I am able to step back from the intense job I have to a lesser job where I can feel unburdened the minute I walk out the door. If I was bored I could take on the care and feeding of some x man. The problem for me was the first one was like 3 at once (due to what we later discovered after divorcing (he was diagnosed with Bipolar). So, it's been thanks, but, no thanks for me.

Old 12-03-2023, 01:06 PM

actually we do have a good life together..mostly because we are both in to the same things .

a side from our kids and grand kids we are both very passionate about our photography and we are out daily going places to photograph.

i think i sent you a link to our work once .

like tomorrow we are headed to the BRONX ZOO .

when it comes to our photography we have no adult supervision .. i will go i want a 2500 dollar lens and she will go i want one too .

i wanted an expensive car and she encouraged me to get it so it isn’t like there is much supervision.

one thing though we are pretty strict about is any investing moves i do she needs to understand fully and agree .

same with all our legal paperwork…after the issues we both had we wouldn’t think of using an on line kit

Old 12-03-2023, 01:54 PM

18,075 posts, read 15,664,302 times
I have a relatively simple LW&T, done by a local law firm several years ago, along with the other standard estate & planning docs needed (Medical Directive, et. al.). I need to make some changes to my LW&T, and while I would like to use software to update it, the safest thing is to have an attorney do the updates.

Old 12-03-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I have a relatively simple LW&T, done by a local law firm several years ago, along with the other standard estate & planning docs needed (Medical Directive, et. al.). I need to make some changes to my LW&T, and while I would like to use software to update it, the safest thing is to have an attorney do the updates.
My guy gave me a radical discount on updating things even though his partner had been primarily helping me the first time and had since retired.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:28 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Question about a will being written by an attorney. I like the idea of the attorney having official access to the will, such as an official copy of it or having the official will. A relative had a will done like this in a midwestern state.

However, when my Florida attorney wrote up my will a few years ago, the attorney didnt want any part of being a keeper of the will, even though I asked about it.

Does anyone know if each state has laws about whether an attorney can become the official keeper of the will or whether the will can be officially recorded in a state level database or similar (likely protected from public view on need-to-know basis). Anyone have insight on Florida?

Want to avoid "what if" scenario where a relative that was left off the will - gained access to the will and burned it, so they can then inherit via Intestate Succession.

Old 12-07-2023, 09:07 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I'm on the verge of doing the same, based on a discussion here on City Data. I didn't even know Advanced Directive was a thing.

The last thing I want is to end up as an invalid vegetable in a hospital because they don't know what to do with me. DNR all the way. And I want to do everything I can to make sure whatever I leave behind doesn't end up in the hands of the government or lawyers.
Advanced Directives and Do Not Resuscitate ( DNR) forms are not the same thing. Basically the Advanced Directive forms allow a person to state how he/she wants to be treated in a number of scenarios that would likely lead to death if intervention is not taken, and the person is unable to speak for him/herself. For instance, in the event a person has a terminal illness, condition, and there is no hope for recovery would the person want to be put on a ventilator, or have a feeding tube placed, or receive other treatment that prolongs life? There are also spaces on the forms ( at least the forms I have seen) that allow the person to customize his/her wishes ( so to speak) or stipulate actions under specific circumstances. The person also designates a healthcare proxy to carry out those wishes. The completed form is witnessed to verify the person is sound of mind and has not been coerced to complete or sign the form, and it's notorized. Someone can complete an Advanced Directive form at any time, when they're young and healthy, or like most of us, wait till they're old and their mortality is staring them in the face, the form is only used in the specified circumstances in the patient's terminal condition. If the person is still able to state his/her wishes at that time, it's the spoken wishes that are honored.

A DNR form is filled out when the person has a terminal condition and no hope for recovery, for example, terminal cancer, end stage heart failure, or devastating irreversible injuries from an accident. In this case the stipulation is that in the event the person goes into cardiac arrest or other terminal events, no efforts will be made ( such as CPR, intubation, medications) to resuscitate the person. This may vary by state, but at least one doctor ( sometimes two) must sign the DNR form attesting the person is in a terminal condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement