Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2023, 12:38 PM

2,875 posts, read 1,823,120 times

Advertisements

Eldest nephew when he, family, 15 years ago? built a new home, a small suite was built as part of the home for my brother, wife. Cozy, small living room, bedroom, bathroom. Speaking frankly to my sister-in-law, there are challenges though the positives outweigh the negatives. As with most relationships ?

When single, lived in a townhouse with 3 other women, later boarding homes. Would consider it again.

Ambivert, consider myself, enjoy interaction with others, then need time alone. Seem to remember there's another name for this, believe in researching, most people are ambiverts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 01:45 PM

8,801 posts, read 5,104,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’m not sure what you’re suggesting in that post. Are you suggesting older people who need help just kill themselves so as not to burden people? Cause you can be disabled for years before you die naturally.
Some do a murder/sucide. It was done in my community, and I also know of a couple from my home town. One is terminal, and the other can`t bare to go on alone.

Old 12-23-2023, 02:05 PM

17,448 posts, read 16,633,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’m not sure what you’re suggesting in that post. Are you suggesting older people who need help just kill themselves so as not to burden people? Cause you can be disabled for years before you die naturally.
We aren't obligated to treat our medical conditions or have someone else care for us. I know it might seem harsh, but if I get to the point where I am so far gone that I can't take care of my own very basic needs, I'm not sure that I would want a caregiver or caregivers prolonging that state for me.

I would be o.k. living out the rest of my life as best as I could and allowing nature to take its course.

Old 12-23-2023, 03:08 PM

24,731 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm sure it happens but I don't recall anyone on Citydata living a Golden Girls type of lifestyle. Most seem to prefer to live alone in their own places.
A former manager now very close friend moved in with his divorced sister. They have their legal affairs in order, share finances and responsibilities and two cats. Neither is retired yet. It is not an arrangement based on financial necessity.

Old 12-23-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
We aren't obligated to treat our medical conditions or have someone else care for us. I know it might seem harsh, but if I get to the point where I am so far gone that I can't take care of my own very basic needs, I'm not sure that I would want a caregiver or caregivers prolonging that state for me.

I would be o.k. living out the rest of my life as best as I could and allowing nature to take its course.
That is very easy to say now. Will you be able to pull the trigger then?
MIL is in her mid 90s, lived off Dexatrim, diet coke, coffee and iceberg lettuce. For the last 20 years she has been in and out of the hospital. Lately it is an almost weekly occurence. She has good medical coverage.

Old 12-23-2023, 03:22 PM

5,337 posts, read 6,040,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Some do a murder/sucide. It was done in my community, and I also know of a couple from my home town. One is terminal, and the other can`t bare to go on alone.
There's a reason it is called Murder/Suicide. The Murderer commits both acts, usually without the consent of the victim.

Old 12-23-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
There's a reason it is called Murder/Suicide. The Murderer commits both acts, usually without the consent of the victim.
And you know about his how?

Old 12-23-2023, 03:46 PM

7,715 posts, read 3,334,322 times
Quote:

Hxll yes.

Old 12-23-2023, 03:47 PM

7,715 posts, read 3,334,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
MIL is in her mid 90s, lived off Dexatrim, diet coke, coffee and iceberg lettuce. For the last 20 years she has been in and out of the hospital. Lately it is an almost weekly occurence. She has good medical coverage.

Wow, no protein at all. She must be uber-thin.

Old 12-23-2023, 04:04 PM

17,448 posts, read 16,633,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I think you just have to be proactive and make plans for that time - put it in writing "I want to live out the remainder of my natural life, alone and surrounded by my familiar things in my beloved fishing cabin on Lake Wobegon" or some such thing. Then work on getting your cabin stocked up and ready - lots of Ensure and whiskey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement