Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2023, 08:35 AM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
In my experience, it is uncommon. My FIL had a younger "girlfriend" for over ten years who refused to do anything for him. He was close to her family as well. She said that was not her job. She did not even visit him in the hospital. She was a widow and, according to my FIL, many people in this older age group were done getting involved in another person's healthcare needs.

Your friends were blessed to have you.
Maddie, that’s awful about your Fil’s girlfriend. I can’t imagine not even visiting him in the hospital. It was funny but when the assisted living facility had to call an ambulance for my friend they would also call me and I would run over since I lived 5 minutes away. The paramedics always thought I was his wife because I knew his medications and health issues. I knew that because I took him to all his doctor appointments. They were surprised when I said I was just a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 08:40 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivienL View Post
Of course I am aware of that. That is another one of those well-meaning comments that completely misses the mark.
Yes....that is why I said to end the thread with your post....I knew someone would screw it up.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:02 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
My kids are home for the holiday and have been helping us to get items - heavy boxes of books, some furniture, etc - down the steps from our upper level. But we likely wouldn't have had all of that stuff up there in the first place if it hadn't been for us having kids and needing a hang out room for them.

I told my husband we better seize the moment while both kids are home to get rid of that stuff, otherwise we would be looking at hiring it done. That lit a fire under him.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:55 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
Quote:
It IS happening. Just Google "nursing home abuse" and you'll find sickening examples of the types of abuse seniors with no one to look out for them face and the astounding prevalence of it. The New York Times did an investigation (URL below) two years ago on this and, more to your point, why these abuses were not being made public.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/09/b...nspection.html
While I have no doubt that nursing home abuse happens way more than it should, I know that headlines screaming about it about it draws the attention of people. No one seems interested in writing stories about nursing homes that do a good job in caring for their people because bad news draws people's attention more than good news does. It is an economic reality.

Old 12-21-2023, 12:34 PM

246 posts, read 123,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
While I have no doubt that nursing home abuse happens way more than it should, I know that headlines screaming about it about it draws the attention of people. No one seems interested in writing stories about nursing homes that do a good job in caring for their people because bad news draws people's attention more than good news does. It is an economic reality.
Nursing homes that do a good job caring for its residents should not be newsworthy; they're supposed to do a good job. And the NYT article I cited points to the reality that abuses against nursing home seniors have been systematically hushed up, not screamed about in headlines. This is important for people without children to understand and be aware of when preparing for their future care needs.

Old 12-21-2023, 02:27 PM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Something along that line:

https://www.news9.com/story/6580d7fa...ack-to-workers

Old 12-21-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I have long ago come to terms with my situation. I am not triggered by others discussing their children. I am, however, a bit perplexed as to why people with children would feel that they are in a position to contribute to a thread SPECIFICALLY concerning childless seniors, and then to challenge us when we tell you you're not being helpful.
This thread reads "don't have kids" not "childless".

Old 12-21-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Nursing homes that do a good job caring for its residents should not be newsworthy; they're supposed to do a good job. And the NYT article I cited points to the reality that abuses against nursing home seniors have been systematically hushed up, not screamed about in headlines. This is important for people without children to understand and be aware of when preparing for their future care needs.
In a perfect world everyone does a great job as assigned. In the real world a little bit of friendliness goes a long way as generally only shortcomings are being pointed out. Short: you catch a lot with honey.

Old 12-21-2023, 02:55 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,803,509 times
Years ago, Single, lived in a boarding house; retired women. 3/ 4 believe they looked after each other.

Negative, 40 year old husband, went to Rehabilitation after his injury. First group session, man said his wife left him. Counselor replied "Most spouses do ! "

Positive, dear group of friends, we helped one another.

Old 12-21-2023, 03:14 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Hopefully, I will be able to take care of myself up to the last day of my life. Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement