Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2023, 09:00 AM

249 posts, read 124,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
...I'm just thinking of what I've gone through and how I just wish I could have even done more.
You were a blessing in your mom's time of need, and no doubt in her life in general. I am so sorry for your loss... <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 09:15 AM

3,215 posts, read 1,673,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I have no kids. My plan is to become a burden on society.
Get in line, when you do lay on that nursing home bed. Expect to be treated for what you've paid for.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:50 AM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Be sure not to overdo, yourself.
I'm back home, a thousand mi. away. Not overdoing it!

Old 12-20-2023, 09:54 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'm back home, a thousand mi. away. Not overdoing it!
Good. Take care of yourself, you've been doing an awful lot.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:55 AM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Quote:
Good. Take care of yourself, you've been doing an awful lot.
For 10 days a month ago.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
For 10 days a month ago.
Will you be going back to handle the movers, clear out her place and get her settled in her new place?

Old 12-20-2023, 10:39 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Not really. People who have children will get at least some help if not physical care from their adult children. They can hire someone to help them, take a few hours a week to step up and do what they can to help. The more children a senior has the more help they are likely to receive. ie, my mother had her adult children and a grandaughter not often but she helped too. All of her children did what they could until it got to the point where she needed more special care. It was really necessary when she had surgery too. Someone without children will not have that without a boat load of money to pay strangers. Although in some States, Counties there are resources for seniors that help but it's minimal. Like those meals delivered for seniors and disabled in low income.

OP I agree but they still should Love their parents to do some help. Unfortunately there are so many adult children who move so far away it's impossible to be there for Mom or Pop when they fall ill.
We have a lot of residents whose kids live in other states. You seem to be assuming children graduate college and start careers in the same states or geographic region they grew up in.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:41 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
I was watching a video recently where an expert was giving advice to adult children who were trying to help their parents downsize.

The expert kept saying how important it was for the adult child to remain calm and not push their parents. Take time, don't demand for things to get done today, etc. The belongings represent their parents entire lives and blah, blah, blah.

I kept thinking "Who the heck has time for that?" It's hard enough to get your own house decluttered and organized and then to have to go over to an elderly parent's house and calmly cajole them into allowing you to help them get rid of things.....give them time to "say goodbye" to each little piece of junk that they probably didn't even realize that they even had because it was buried under boxes in the garage....

Sorry. The "Adult Children" have lives, wants and needs, too. My mom did an amazing job of getting rid of things and downsizing. Even so, getting her moved and settled into a new place was work. I can't imagine having to deal with an argumentative parent who dragged their feet and tantrumed over something being done for their benefit.

We need to do this stuff for ourselves and stop relying on "the kids" or "society" to do it for us.
Every time my mom was in the hospital or rehab, I'd go over and toss stuff. She had large cardboard boxes with checks from banks that had been defunct for decades, and a lot of other stuff that served no purpose, but she had hoarding tendencies. She never knew I threw anything out.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:47 AM

249 posts, read 124,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We have a lot of residents whose kids live in other states. You seem to be assuming children graduate college and start careers in the same states or geographic region they grew up in.
It seems that you're assuming help has to be provided in person. It can be financial support, which can easily be done remotely. It can be emotional support, via regular phone calls. It can be material support, like sending new slippers for birthdays, flowers for Mother's Day, cookies for Christmas.
As minimal as you may believe these are, they are things childless people don't have, which is the whole point of this thread.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivienL View Post
It seems that you're assuming help has to be provided in person. It can be financial support, which can easily be done remotely. It can be emotional support, via regular phone calls. It can be material support, like sending new slippers for birthdays, flowers for Mother's Day, cookies for Christmas.
As minimal as you may believe these are, they are things childless people don't have, which is the whole point of this thread.
I suppose if you have no children and you want someone to send you slippers, then you would need to foster relationships with other relatives and/or younger friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement