Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 11:46 AM

8,369 posts, read 4,377,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
With apologies to VTSnowbird for stepping into her forum, I have changed the thread title to stop the multiple inane responses."
Thank you! (English as a second language, what can I say )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 12:33 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Thank you! (English as a second language, what can I say )
It was clear from context what you meant. Some people just have to be smart-asses.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:57 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,099 times
I think if I was given the news next week that I had about 2-3 months to live (my mother died from pancreatic cancer) my only regret at this point is that I don't have a life partner right now to share life with. Of course I would regret that I couldn't live longer as well, but I chose early on to prioritize doing things that I dreamt about doing & not waiting too much for "sometime". I feel lucky & grateful at this point, just not ready to exit.

Old 02-25-2024, 03:46 PM

486 posts, read 653,794 times
My husband and I wanted to travel. We lived paycheck to paycheck, so it never happened. He passed away and the house we had together sold for an exorbitant amount, so now I have the money but no companion. In addition my health isn't the greatest.

We wanted to see the pyramids and I always wanted to go to Ireland. In our younger years we were involved with horses and there was an Ireland vacation where one rode from tavern to tavern, spending a couple nights so you could see the sights, and then to the next tavern. No money, of course. I'm not physically able to do it now.

Other than that, I can't say there's anything I've missed out on or regret doing/not doing. He had 2 children from his first marriage (that we discovered were not his after paying child support for many years) and I never wanted kids. His "children" don't even know he has passed and it's been 3 years. They never bothered to call him. That child support money would have made the vacations possible.

I've made arrangements for my cats should I die in the night and my will disburses my assets to pet/horse rescues.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:08 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
My husband and I wanted to travel. We lived paycheck to paycheck, so it never happened. He passed away and the house we had together sold for an exorbitant amount, so now I have the money but no companion. In addition my health isn't the greatest.

We wanted to see the pyramids and I always wanted to go to Ireland. In our younger years we were involved with horses and there was an Ireland vacation where one rode from tavern to tavern, spending a couple nights so you could see the sights, and then to the next tavern. No money, of course. I'm not physically able to do it now.

Other than that, I can't say there's anything I've missed out on or regret doing/not doing. He had 2 children from his first marriage (that we discovered were not his after paying child support for many years) and I never wanted kids. His "children" don't even know he has passed and it's been 3 years. They never bothered to call him. That child support money would have made the vacations possible.

I've made arrangements for my cats should I die in the night and my will disburses my assets to pet/horse rescues.
I remember reading about the horseback riding trips in Ireland when my daughter was a teen and taking riding lessons. We went on one trip to ride horses in the Bahamas for a few hours. That was 20 years ago, though.

In her 80s, my mom expressed regret that she never got to see the Grand Canyon. I never knew that it was a dream of hers. I tried to figure out a way to get her there, but by then she was nearing time to go on dialysis and it wasn't going to work out.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:35 PM

2,054 posts, read 996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post

Your post makes me sad, I'm sorry your life didn't go according to plan.

Which is exactly why I haven't followed the default path of working and saving toward some unknown future, or to reach that future and find that having the money is pointless because you're unable to use it in the way you wanted to.

I'm reading a book right now about living a life that flows along a 'pathless path'. A quote from the book: "Why not take the usual 20-30 year retirement and redistribute it throughout life instead of saving it all for the end?"

Old 02-25-2024, 08:37 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,571,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
If I knew my demise was imminent I'd try to find a way to take a particular few other people with me: despicable people with a long trail of pain and devastation left in their wake. In doing so I would be providing a community service and leaving the world a better place.
Not allowed, even in fantasy.

I say that coming from the other side of the thought...

... at my worst depressive times I would hear of someone dying and I thought- they had so much to live for. Example, they had a family or a major career position that helped society. I think, if I could just trade places and let them stay. Can't happen either way.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-27-2024 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Fixed the quote tag

Old 02-25-2024, 08:44 PM

486 posts, read 653,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember reading about the horseback riding trips in Ireland when my daughter was a teen and taking riding lessons. We went on one trip to ride horses in the Bahamas for a few hours. That was 20 years ago, though.

In her 80s, my mom expressed regret that she never got to see the Grand Canyon. I never knew that it was a dream of hers. I tried to figure out a way to get her there, but by then she was nearing time to go on dialysis and it wasn't going to work out.
My mom wanted to go up in a hot air balloon. I tried my darndest to get it arranged, but she passed away before I could get it done. I've regretted it since there was very little she ever mentioned wanting.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:10 PM

2,054 posts, read 996,765 times
According to the Social Security Administration, if you follow 100 random people from age 25 to 65 (forty years of work input, and current retirement age)...

One will be wealthy
Four will be financially secure
Five will still be working due to financial need (I think this number is realistically much higher)
Thirty six already deceased (seems high)
Fifty-four depend on external sources for financial support to survive (social security, family, charity, etc)

Not that I have full faith in any government statistics, but this sounds more realistic and commonplace, based on older people I've interacted with in real life.

I have no notions of ever being financially wealthy and have chosen to live life for the moment rather than sacrifice toward a plan for a day that may never come.

Old 02-26-2024, 12:39 AM

4,604 posts, read 2,992,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
According to the Social Security Administration, if you follow 100 random people from age 25 to 65
(forty years of work input, and current retirement age)...

One will be wealthy
Four will be financially secure
Five will still be working due to financial need (I think this number is realistically much higher)
Thirty six already deceased (seems high)
Fifty-four depend on external sources for financial support to survive (social security, family, charity, etc)

Not that I have full faith in any government statistics, but this sounds more realistic and commonplace, based on older people I've interacted with in real life.

I have no notions of ever being financially wealthy and have chosen to live life for the moment rather than sacrifice toward a plan for a day that may never come.
Got a link for that SSA info, Heavymind? Indeed, some of those numbers do seem surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement