Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 03:30 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times

Advertisements

Recently, two people very close to me died, and there appeared to be a stampede of deaths among various people I used to know but much less closely. And a lot of these deaths have been sudden or relatively soon after a badness had been diagnosed. So I was thinking, if I were to be fast-tracked into death too, what would I regret missing or not having done?

And I came to realize that I would not miss anything! I am already living totally in my memories, and am in fact thoroughly disinterested in the future! (I don't have kids, and my late great boyfriend of many years died suddenly 11-12 years ago). Even with books I read and places I want to travel to, they all relate to continuity with the time when I was young. As much as I am interested in travel and devouring books, I think these interests are at this point important only as great time fillers (still thrilling (travel) or at least very satisfying (reading) activities, but if I don't get to the bottom of the list of books to read, and the list of my travel projects, I wouldn't see that as missing anything - since there is no time that one needs to fill after one dies).

What would I feel I had left undone/unfinished? One totally trivial thing: I need to set up a box (or several boxes) of papers that need to be shredded after I die :-). I am saving a few items (eg, some letters) that I don't want anyone to read after my death, I want them to vanish with me; the rest needs to be shredded because it won't be important or interesting to anyone. One more not trivial thing, but very simple (it could be done in one day - there just always seems to be some other task preventing me from taking care of it): I could improve a little bit on organization of documents that will be needed to my heir/ survivor trustee/ will executor (like numbers and contact info for utility companies, locations of where I keep the keys of my properties, and a few details similar to that - the heir already has the important stuff, ie, the numbers of all my financial accounts, which all have a beneficiary). And that's it - just one trivial cleanup task! There is really nothing else I would consider unfinished! I have done everything else I ever really wanted in life, within the limits of what was possible. There are things I wish I had done differently, but those can't be changed any more, so are not something that would be unfinished.

Wow. I think my life had been very complicated, substantially more so than an average life, and I am amazed how all the dramatic events, struggles, and hopes at some point dissolve into just a comfortable nothingness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 03:49 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Not finding a missing sock. Either the dryer is hiding it from me or a sock thief snagged it while I was at work.

Old 01-19-2024, 04:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Too much to list, but the main ones are finishing the remodeling/getting the house ready to sell, buying the new place next spring with enough room for "needing" a tractor, finishing the restoration of my '74 Nova, watching the 3 grandkids grow up.

Old 01-19-2024, 05:15 PM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
quite a few needlework projects.

That's really the only thing I can think of at the moment

Old 01-19-2024, 06:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Spend down!(On ice cream). Homemade or going to Italy for my Mediterranean diet (gelato).

I'm really glad I didn't drop dead while on the job. Several coworkers did during my too many years working.

Gotta run, grim reaper is quickly closing in on my 'Good-Time"

Lost 4 friends in Dec. All below age 68.
I missed saying I appreciate them... And good-bye. Each were very unique and beneficial influences on my life, and many others. One, a Vietnam refuge, started over 30 orphanages, + HIV hospital (in her free time). All were amazing talents and servants.

Old 01-19-2024, 06:29 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I've been wanting to see the Weeki Watchee, Florida mermaids. First saw a show about them about 60 years ago, then read an article five years ago. Doubt I'll actually get around to it.

Also, I'd like to eat alligator and ostrich meat. There's a butcher shop in my town that reportedly sells both, I just have to go there. I've heard there's one restaurant in town that offers gator during Mardi Gras.

Of course, if I went to Weeki Watchee, I could find alligator in restaurants.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:03 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Never having found a soul-mate.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:47 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
The iPhone 30.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:54 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,235,798 times
If I dropped dead right now, I don't think I'd have the chance to miss doing anything at all. I'd be dead.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:59 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,110 times
Just started working on a family history for my brothers’ descendants in case they’re ever interested. Doing it in “notes” on my iPad, which allows me to insert photos. It’s not long or complicated, just a basic set of “begat” with some anecdotes and photos. I spent a lot of evenings with my folks in their last years and they would talk about family, so I’m really the only person left who knows who people are in photos, or who has heard the stories. So I’d like to not suddenly keel over with the heart attack for a few more months until I finish and distribute this. Might be nobody will ever look at or care, but it gives me the illusion of doing something useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement