Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 10:31 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times

Advertisements

I have done everything on my bucket list, my will, etc is up to date and I have destroyed any letters, etc that I wouldn’t want anyone to read so I can’t think of much. I would regret leaving my 2 fur babies behind although my best friend will take them. I never intend to be without a dog so no solution to that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 10:38 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
When I was diagnosed with cancer in 2016 I faced all these questions and just didn’t waste time with things I couldn’t change. So I pretty much came to terms with things, no regrets .

All that was important was the nice family I did have, the friends, enjoying the small joys and not sweating the big stuff. I knew if I went to my grave some of my last thoughts would be on two people I loved who were awful to me and forgave them in my heart.

Each day is a gift for me. What would I miss if I had any awareness, everything but then if I was aware I wouldn’t have to miss anything

Old 01-20-2024, 11:11 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
No Reincarnation is real IMO so if you have unfinished business, you continue on with that business for your soul's contract until its completed. It could take infinite lifetimes. Life is continuous and energy never ceases. We all come down here with lessons to learn. Its just a school. So if you don't learn everything this time around, you will later on

Old 01-20-2024, 11:18 AM

2,271 posts, read 1,666,238 times
My regret would be leaving too much work for our children right now but we are working on it.

I need to continue to weed, clean out and shred particularly old paperwork like credit card statements, tax forms (after 7 years as we do our own), checks, bills, etc. DH liked to keep all that neatly in bins but it’s time to let go. When you have been in a house for over 40 years everything adds up. In good weather, I set up the shredder outside and go to work.

I have come to the conclusion that just because some antiques and items from my parents and grandparents are special to me, that does not mean others are that sentimental about those. Certain items have “served their purpose” for me and I have enjoyed them. My children’s more modern homes cannot absorb all or even much of that. So be it.

Old 01-20-2024, 11:23 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Probably nothing except perhaps that I wasn't successful in establishing the ranch as a permanent nature preserve or leaving it all to the cats. But other than that, probably nothing.......because my life is not geared like that. For I have done so many things and can marvel at what I have done, have accomplished.

The movie, "The Red Tent" 1969 (General Nobile's 1920's crash on the Arctic ice)probably illustrates it best with the last lines, by Sean Connery, of the flick. (At 1:58).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWIKj9O2M-M

Old 01-20-2024, 11:42 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have done everything on my bucket list, my will, etc is up to date and I have destroyed any letters, etc that I wouldn’t want anyone to read so I can’t think of much. I would regret leaving my 2 fur babies behind although my best friend will take them. I never intend to be without a dog so no solution to that problem.
You might have an oral agreement with your friend but seriously consider having your wishes addressed in your will or trust. Depending on the circumstances and location surrounding a pet owner's death, the county might "confiscate" the decedent's pets. They could wind up in a place where you wouldn't want them to be.

I don't intend to ever be without a dog either

Old 01-20-2024, 11:46 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times
If I did drop dead but still had a few moments of consciousness, I'd regret that I didn't get to spend all that money in my portfolio sitting there waiting for my old age to use. Close on the heels of that regret, I'd regret the 15 years I put up with my government job, which I kept at purely for the pension that I knew I needed to bridge the gap that SS leaves, again for my old age (that I never really got to). If I'd known I was going to die early, I would have ditched that job the second that the 2008-2009 employment drought resolved. Maybe the third regret would have been that I didn't travel the world like my soul yearned to do. I managed to see a few European countries (and Mexico, but that doesn't really count) but that was just the tip of the iceberg that are the wonders of this world. By then, my last few moments would be over, so no time for more regrets that would forever remain unacknowledged. But I suspect there truly is an afterlife, so I'd be eager to explore that realm next. I have high hopes for that experience; maybe I can do a better job there.

But God has a lot to answer for where this worldly experience is concerned. (like Holy Moly, what WERE you thinking??)

Old 01-20-2024, 11:55 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
When our country was attacked on 9/11 and we didn't know if we were all going to be killed I had a really odd regret. I remember wishing that I had eaten more of the foods that I loved. I had been overweight after having my kids but got back into shape through diet and exercise, but after 9/11, I remember wondering if the restrictions had been worth it.

All these years later I still watch my diet and I'm not overweight so I guess I decided if I was going to live, it was worth it to keep my weight in check but I really wish I could eat a ton of doughnuts without any consequences!

Haha, I was IN One World Trade Center on 9/11, and when AA11 slammed into us, the building was shuddering, ceiling coming down, fire and smoke spewing from a nearby elevator, and my coworker screamimg ,"we are going to DIE!" and I thought, Damn, she might be right, you know what my next thought was?

My divorce had been final a few months earlier, and I was just starting to think about dating, so my thought was, "On no, I am only 43 and I never got to have sex again!"

It's a bit disconcerting to remember how shallow my mind was when facing my possible death.

Anyway, I lived. And I got to have sex again. AND was cured of the fear of death after that, too.

Old 01-20-2024, 12:23 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
You might have an oral agreement with your friend but seriously consider having your wishes addressed in your will or trust. Depending on the circumstances and location surrounding a pet owner's death, the county might "confiscate" the decedent's pets. They could wind up in a place where you wouldn't want them to be.

I don't intend to ever be without a dog either
They are in my will alone with 4K to help pay their vet expenses. My son is the executor and will make sure my babies immediately go to my friend.

Old 01-20-2024, 12:34 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I still have lots I want to do - and I am definitely NOT "disinterested in the future". I hope to be around for many more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement