Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2024, 06:12 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Lack of travel. There's so much more I want to do. I never got to travel much until I was 25. I've seen a lot, but there's definitely a lot more I'd like to do.

I sort of regret how things ended with my ex. She was in and out of the hospital her last year of life. I gave her a credit card so she could order food in every now and then. She ran up $300 on DoorDash in a couple of weeks. She was on a restricted diet where she wasn't supposed to be eating fast food. I told her to stop doing it - she wouldn't, so I canceled the card. She threw such a fit that I ended up having to change my phone number. She died a few weeks later. I never talked to her again after our last fight.

I've treated a lot of people pretty poorly over the years. I wish I could change some of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 07:29 AM

7,491 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Lack of travel. There's so much more I want to do. I never got to travel much until I was 25. I've seen a lot, but there's definitely a lot more I'd like to do.

I sort of regret how things ended with my ex. She was in and out of the hospital her last year of life. I gave her a credit card so she could order food in every now and then. She ran up $300 on DoorDash in a couple of weeks. She was on a restricted diet where she wasn't supposed to be eating fast food. I told her to stop doing it - she wouldn't, so I canceled the card. She threw such a fit that I ended up having to change my phone number. She died a few weeks later. I never talked to her again after our last fight.

I've treated a lot of people pretty poorly over the years. I wish I could change some of that.

Break ups are supposed to end badly. How do you know that you were enabling your ex to intake something that hastened her demise? I say let this go. Pray or chant or dance by the light of the moon. Write her a letter about your feelings and then burn it. Pray, go to a confessional. But, somehow invest some time in it and make it ceremonial. If you still suffer get a shrink and possibly a psychic to get your head straight about it.

Going forward keep your relationships clean and by that I mean be resolved in your relationships every day. Say what needs to be said and do what needs to be done. Be honest and loyal and do not betray anyone (betraying is different then presenting yourself before someone to express your truth to them).

Big scary medical problems will run some people off and that's when you find out they weren't that invested in you or just, for whatever reason do not have the capacity to walk with you through some big issue. You find out who your friends are real fast. It's common. It's why it is good to be a little careful who you invest yourself in.

...all imho...

Old 01-22-2024, 07:31 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Well, if I dropped dead right now I wouldn't regret anything, because I'd be dead.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, if I dropped dead right now I wouldn't regret anything, because I'd be dead.

Very insightful and deep Rabbit33.

I agree Rabbits are better off dead.

Wile E. Coyote: So, let's get down to cases: you are a rabbit, and I am going to eat you for supper. Wile E. Coyote: Now, don't try to get away! I am more muscular, more cunning, faster, and larger than you are, and I am a genius. A Supergenius.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:47 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Break ups are supposed to end badly. How do you know that you were enabling your ex to intake something that hastened her demise? I say let this go. Pray or chant or dance by the light of the moon. Write her a letter about your feelings and then burn it. Pray, go to a confessional. But, somehow invest some time in it and make it ceremonial. If you still suffer get a shrink and possibly a psychic to get your head straight about it.

Going forward keep your relationships clean and by that I mean be resolved in your relationships every day. Say what needs to be said and do what needs to be done. Be honest and loyal and do not betray anyone (betraying is different then presenting yourself before someone to express your truth to them).

Big scary medical problems will run some people off and that's when you find out they weren't that invested in you or just, for whatever reason do not have the capacity to walk with you through some big issue. You find out who your friends are real fast. It's common. It's why it is good to be a little careful who you invest yourself in.

...all imho...
We had been broken up for awhile - she was in FL and had been in and out of the hospital for years. She was placed on a bland diet and wanted her junk food. Her ordering DoorDash from McDonald's, Outback, Bonefish, etc., didn't accelerate her death, but had I known she'd be dead in two weeks, I'd have let her order what she wanted.

I had no way to know (and I don't think she did either) that she was so close to death. I figured she'd stew on it for a few weeks and message me on Facebook or something. She had been in and out of the hospital so much that her being there was basically routine and not that concerning to me. Her health wasn't great, but you don't think you're going to lose a former partner (who you still talked to a few times a week) at 27.

I felt awful when I found out she passed away. She wanted a funeral, burial service, etc., and there ended up being none of that. I have no idea why. It's one of those things in life where you never got the closure you wanted.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We had been broken up for awhile - she was in FL and had been in and out of the hospital for years. She was placed on a bland diet and wanted her junk food. Her ordering DoorDash from McDonald's, Outback, Bonefish, etc., didn't accelerate her death, but had I known she'd be dead in two weeks, I'd have let her order what she wanted.

I had no way to know (and I don't think she did either) that she was so close to death. I figured she'd stew on it for a few weeks and message me on Facebook or something. She had been in and out of the hospital so much that her being there was basically routine and not that concerning to me. Her health wasn't great, but you don't think you're going to lose a former partner (who you still talked to a few times a week) at 27.

I felt awful when I found out she passed away. She wanted a funeral, burial service, etc., and there ended up being none of that. I have no idea why. It's one of those things in life where you never got the closure you wanted.

I believe you eventually do get closure (or can) even with the deceased.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:35 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Is there a prize for being the 25th person to say this or something? Why wasn't I told?

Old 01-22-2024, 09:29 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Not only are you not a spender (forced by wife to buy That/Those house(s), you are also keeping yourself rather thin.
"You can never be too rich or too thin."

Old 01-22-2024, 09:33 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
"You can never be too rich or too thin."
I don't know. I've seen people that are too thin and it's not a good look

Old 01-22-2024, 09:36 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,994,120 times
If I dropped dead right now I would regret nothing because I'd be dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement