Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2024, 05:49 AM

5,243 posts, read 6,161,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I bought a book/folder type of organizer a few years ago titled "We're Dead, Now What?" I thought the title was too funny to pass up It's turned out to be a very helpful way of keeping info organized that will be needed when we're dead. It covers everything from obituaries (yes or no?), life insurance policies, important friends to call and a whole range of other items that I hadn't even thought of.
^^^^Thanks, I am going to look for this today.

I have led a very full and fruitful life and I feel very peaceful and content at where I am now. My only regrets are when I look back reflecting on my life there have been quite a few moments where I wish I had savored those times just a little bit more as back then I did not realize those moments were like capturing lightning in a bottle. Life travels so fast in time and those moments are magical but it takes old age and reflection to realize.

One thing I like that everyone is sharing is the importance of preparing for one’s demise. It is not morbid to do so but important for your loved ones. I am seeing quite a few friends and family dealing with so many issues right now where they thought they had everything taken care of before hand.

I think days of old it was a bit easier for family members to pick up the pieces but with technology and innovation today everything is online and passwords and two part authentication are common. The wife and I have a book we share for this.

A close friend died tragically in a traffic accident last weekend and the wife’s sister reached out me to ask for contact information for work contacts. They could not unlock his phone, I don’t know if they didn’t know his password or he had fingerprint recognition. I didn’t ask but it home you can never be too prepared.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 02-03-2024 at 06:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 11:13 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,013,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
^^^^Thanks, I am going to look for this today.

I have led a very full and fruitful life and I feel very peaceful and content at where I am now. My only regrets are when I look back reflecting on my life there have been quite a few moments where I wish I had savored those times just a little bit more as back then I did not realize those moments were like capturing lightning in a bottle. Life travels so fast in time and those moments are magical but it takes old age and reflection to realize.

One thing I like that everyone is sharing is the importance of preparing for one’s demise. It is not morbid to do so but important for your loved ones. I am seeing quite a few friends and family dealing with so many issues right now where they thought they had everything taken care of before hand.

I think days of old it was a bit easier for family members to pick up the pieces but with technology and innovation today everything is online and passwords and two part authentication are common. The wife and I have a book we share for this.

A close friend died tragically in a traffic accident last weekend and the wife’s sister reached out me to ask for contact information for work contacts. They could not unlock his phone, I don’t know if they didn’t know his password or he had fingerprint recognition. I didn’t ask but it home you can never be too prepared.
That paragraph I bolded was wonderfully eloquent... it ought to be read by everyone everywhere.

Old 02-05-2024, 11:55 AM

334 posts, read 187,662 times
Not deleting my bookmarks and browser history before I go

Old 02-06-2024, 07:46 PM

2,037 posts, read 3,355,638 times
I moved 650 miles away from some of my surviving family members in 2018.

I would regret not getting to see them in person again. I don't like to have "regrets," but i do hope to get to visit "home" again. It's the state i lived in for 59 years, after all.

Old 02-06-2024, 08:14 PM

7,860 posts, read 3,850,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I moved 650 miles away from some of my surviving family members in 2018.

I would regret not getting to see them in person again. I don't like to have "regrets," but i do hope to get to visit "home" again. It's the state i lived in for 59 years, after all.

When you visit, be prepared. You may have heard the expression
"No man can cross a river twice. The river is not the same river, and the man is not the same man."

Old 02-06-2024, 08:48 PM

7,641 posts, read 3,278,075 times
I agree with what Mogul is saying. No matter if you do visit your family. About three minutes later you will still wish you visited them one last time. We carry people in our hearts and they do not have to be physically present to be meaningful.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:12 AM

24,659 posts, read 9,482,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
Not deleting my bookmarks and browser history before I go
Most laptops and smartphones are passcode protected.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:49 PM

2,037 posts, read 3,355,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
When you visit, be prepared. You may have heard the expression
"No man can cross a river twice. The river is not the same river, and the man is not the same man."
Good reminder, thanks. I mostly want to see my sister and EAT everything that i miss. And OMG do i miss it lol

Old 02-09-2024, 07:38 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,867,692 times
I would miss seeing my family as they all change and grow. I would miss the joy that comes with this!

Old 02-10-2024, 07:17 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,229,924 times
The only thing I’d regret is, if she were still alive, not being there with my wife in older age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement