Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 09:54 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
If I dropped dead right now, I don't think I'd have the chance to miss doing anything at all. I'd be dead.
Pretty much this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 04:15 AM

879 posts, read 764,193 times
I’d miss so much! Watching my grandchildren grow up, being there for their graduations, marriages, great grandchildren. I’d miss getting to go to the places still on my list. I’d miss seeing our public schools finally improve (I’m on the school board working hard for improvement). I’d miss pretty much everything about every day.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:29 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
If I dropped dead right now, I don't think I'd have the chance to miss doing anything at all. I'd be dead.
I didn't want to be the first to say this!
But yeah, if I "dropped dead right now" (as the title says), there is no opportunity for regrets.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:21 AM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Not having changed our will that was made ten years ago. If I die before my husband, no problem, but right now the person who is our main beneficiary we no longer want to be our main beneficiary. (We have put off changing our will until we are more settled as to what our assets actually will be when we die, barring some kind of major financial catastrophe. We plan on revising the will in just two more years, though, and because we are now 70 and 67, so it probably won't be a problem -- and if we die together, we won't be around to regret our procrastination, lol.)

But as far as other regrets, NO, I won't have any that I now have the power to change (or even DID have the power to change). I have done everything on my bucket list, and so from now on, every year will be the same as the year before except for our health getting worse -- I just hope that it won't get a lot worse before we die. (We are basically fine now, btw, but getting old and frail is not appealing to me at all.)

Old 01-20-2024, 07:25 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Exactly what I came to say!

Old 01-20-2024, 07:29 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
The question is inaccurately worded, but we all know what was meant. I think it could be, "If you knew you were going to die right now..."

I would regret that I didn't finish writing a book and that I did not get another chance to be in a good relationship and have someone to share life with.

The first is on me, the second I had briefly, but he died. It was a good relationship, though, and I wouldn't mind being in that situation again.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:44 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,309,123 times
I finally got around to transcribing family videotapes starting in 1985 when I first bought a camcorder.

I've been converting them to mp4 files so they can be easily viewed on a computer or digital TV like a Youtube video. It's truly amazing that I can put 64 hours of video in just one 128 Gb USB stick.

I luckily kept all my old equipment so I can read the old tapes. Amazingly, they still look very good. It's a lot of fun to revisit those moment and uncover lost family stories. It's a somewhat slow process because it needs to be viewed real time. I find myself wishing I had taken more time to label all those tapes.

It's fun showing them to our grandkids with videos of their parents at age 2. The similarities are profound.

Treasure your family. In the end it's all you have.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:59 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
All parts of the question are hypothetical. What would you regret leaving right right now if, in a split second of remaining consciousness (which split second, however, might subjectively seem longer), you realized that you are dropping dead? When I thought about such a possibility for myself, it surprised me how trivial the answer really was. I wouldn't regret leaving people who I believe are meaningful to me, I wouldn't regret not becoming fully fluent in French and German (on which I am working right now), I wouldn't regret not pursuing the remaining travels and books that now fill my life, I wouldn't regret not spending all the retirement savings, I wouldn't regret not living to see the invention of a cheap method to harvest unlimited energy of cosmic rays. I wouldn't miss any of that - I would regret only failing to consolidate into a box some papers for shredding!!!

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-20-2024 at 08:18 AM..

Old 01-20-2024, 08:12 AM

2,859 posts, read 1,803,509 times
Legacy, just came to mind. Living today, people who touched my life, pray they have good, loving memories of me. Especially touched, when I was called to say they had missed me, or being snowed in, a phone call, Don't drive, I'll get you what you need; friend offering a ride.

City-Data Posters, missing your interesting Threads, wisdom, care.

Reading a book, how will I look at life from Eternity on the petty things that can, do bother me now

Like my husband, be grateful to see him again when I transition to our Eternal Home; thank Jesus for His sacrifice.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:21 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
Into the void. No mind no being. Someone switched the lights off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement